Muddy

Easy Cd & Dvd Creator 6 Platinum Drive Recognition Problem

Everytime I attempt to load Creator 6 back onto my hard drive it will not recognize my 2 drives, both player and writer. I am running Windows XP SP3 and I've tried to reinstall it about a half dozen times. Will not let me run system tests on drives or copy anything. HELP!

Are you getting any error messages when you install?

What version number are you installing?

Have you run any of the engine updaters or Drive Updaters?

Does XP recognize your drives? What are the IDs of your drives?

Are you getting any error messages when you install?

What version number are you installing?

Have you run any of the engine updaters or Drive Updaters?

Does XP recognize your drives? What are the IDs of your drives?

I am not getting any error messages when I install. I believe the version is 6.2.1.130 (what is on the CD key). XP does recognize the drives but when I install Creator 6 not only does the software not recognize the drives but the drives do not work correctly in Windows. I would have to open Windows Media Player for the drives to even recognize files on a disc. Once I uninstalled 6 they worked correctly again. They are both XP compatible and the drivers are the most current.

Muddy,

Thank you for that info. It seems that you have the final version 6, but you might not have the last drive updater.

To explain:

-Early versions of Easy CD Creator peeped at your drive and then tried to match it against a "look-up table". The table was held in Adaptec/Roxio software, and was updated from time to time as new optical drives came on the market. When a drive matched an entry in the table, the software used the settings optimized for that drive.

-If your drive didn't match a table entry it wasn't "recognized" by Roxio, and either got a default setting or else wasn't recognized at all.

-I can't tell if your drive(s) are in the table because you haven't mentioned their make/model, but if you tell me your drive IDs I'll look them up for you.

This software has not been updated for 10 years. The final Drive Updater was DU20041203.exe. You should install it to see if that clears up your problem.

Here is a copy of it. du20041203.txt.

We're not allowed to upload .EXE files here, so I've renamed it DU20041203.txt.

Please download it,

then rename it to DU20041203.exe

then double-click on it to install

then restart your machine, and see if the drives are recognized.

Now, it is possible that your drives are just too modern for Creator 6 to recognize them. If that's the case, I'm sorry but Roxio encrypted the table in this version, and that has effectively stopped me from doing sneaky table-edits to cover new drives.

In that case your options are to find some older drives, or to go after newer software.

Regards,

Brendon

Muddy,

Thank you for that info. It seems that you have the final version 6, but you might not have the last drive updater.

To explain:

-Early versions of Easy CD Creator peeped at your drive and then tried to match it against a "look-up table". The table was held in Adaptec/Roxio software, and was updated from time to time as new optical drives came on the market. When a drive matched an entry in the table, the software used the settings optimized for that drive.

-If your drive didn't match a table entry it wasn't "recognized" by Roxio, and either got a default setting or else wasn't recognized at all.

-I can't tell if your drive(s) are in the table because you haven't mentioned their make/model, but if you tell me your drive IDs I'll look them up for you.

This software has not been updated for 10 years. The final Drive Updater was DU20041203.exe. You should install it to see if that clears up your problem.

Here is a copy of it. du20041203.txt.

We're not allowed to upload .EXE files here, so I've renamed it DU20041203.txt.

Please download it,

then rename it to DU20041203.exe

then double-click on it to install

then restart your machine, and see if the drives are recognized.

Now, it is possible that your drives are just too modern for Creator 6 to recognize them. If that's the case, I'm sorry but Roxio encrypted the table in this version, and that has effectively stopped me from doing sneaky table-edits to cover new drives.

In that case your options are to find some older drives, or to go after newer software.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon, thanks for all your help. I am going to try the downloaded file and see if that helps fix the problem. The drives are all Memorex (DVD player, CD writer and DVD writer) and all three worked in Creator 5 (that I still use along with Creator 4 which I LOVE!) I will let you know if this solves the problem. Thanks again for your time and help.

Edited by Brendon
Double quote removed

Thanks Muddy.

Drives that worked for Creator 4 and 5 should work for 6, but with the encryption they used I can't get in to check the list. About all I can suggest now is the Drive Updater (DU) file. It does change a few things other than just the look-up table.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Muddy.

Drives that worked for Creator 4 and 5 should work for 6, but with the encryption they used I can't get in to check the list. About all I can suggest now is the Drive Updater (DU) file. It does change a few things other than just the look-up table.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. The file you gave me didn't work. I'm stumped! Both of my drives are Memorex. One is a 16x DVD Rom and the other is a DVD writer and they are both XP compatible. I have uninstalled/reinstalled it three times and still nothing. If you get a chance scratch your head (what I've been doing) and see if you can think of anything else. Thanks again for all your help so far!

Muddy,

The file "didn't work" ??

It didn't run properly when renamed, or it ran okay but didn't solve the drive identification problem?

I can't see anything obvious that you're doing wrong, unless you have an earlier version on there at the same time as your version 6.

If version 6 causes your drives to misbehave and that is cured when you uninstall version 6, then version 6 is having a big conflict with something else on your system. My problem is I've not seen this sort of behavior before or had it reported to me, so I don't know where to start looking.

Version 5 always seemed a lot better than 6 to me, and I can't remember any advantages to going to 6. Personally I'd go back to version 5 if 6 is causing problems we can't nail down.

Regards,

Brendon

Muddy,

The file "didn't work" ??

It didn't run properly when renamed, or it ran okay but didn't solve the drive identification problem?

I can't see anything obvious that you're doing wrong, unless you have an earlier version on there at the same time as your version 6.

If version 6 causes your drives to misbehave and that is cured when you uninstall version 6, then version 6 is having a big conflict with something else on your system. My problem is I've not seen this sort of behavior before or had it reported to me, so I don't know where to start looking.

Version 5 always seemed a lot better than 6 to me, and I can't remember any advantages to going to 6. Personally I'd go back to version 5 if 6 is causing problems we can't nail down.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Thanks for getting back to me so quick. Your file ran perfectly but still didn't recognize them. Both drives are from the time of version 6, so I'm stumped as to why not seeing them. I do have version 5 (and 4) on other computers but not another version on this one I'm attempting to use 6 on. I'm having to jump back and forth and that's a big pain. Will version 5 work on XP? I've heard that it doesn't, so that's why I haven't installed it on this computer. I would really like for this to work, it would make my life SO much easier! Plus it's supposed to work on XP, right?! On one install attempt I got an error message about the updater couldn't load/run (something to that effect) Does that give any help? Hope you can come up with something. Thanks again for all the help your giving!

Will version 5 work on XP? I've heard that it doesn't, so that's why I haven't installed it on this computer. I would really like for this to work, it would make my life SO much easier! Plus it's supposed to work on XP, right?! On one install attempt I got an error message about the updater couldn't load/run (something to that effect) Does that give any help? Hope you can come up with something. Thanks again for all the help your giving!

Yes, I just installed it a couple of minutes ago, without problem.

You get a compatibility warning like this

post-208-0-64648700-1410914486_thumb.jpg

which you ignore blithely, then carry on and install and update. I usually do a custom install, leaving out Direct CD and other things I don't want.

There's a pinned post here in the 4+5 forum about installing version 5 in XP.

Regards,

Brendon

Yes, I just installed it a couple of minutes ago, without problem.

You get a compatibility warning like this

post-208-0-64648700-1410914486_thumb.jpg

which you ignore blithely, then carry on and install and update. I usually do a custom install, leaving out Direct CD and other things I don't want.

There's a pinned post here in the 4+5 forum about installing version 5 in XP.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for the info Brendon but it looks like I'm screwed. I've already upgraded to IE 8 on this computer, so I guess that kills the idea of loading Creator 5 on here. I just don't get it! I have 6 loaded on another computer with XP (in another location) and it works just fine with drives from the same time frame. For some reason these Memorex drives are not being recognized and it's driving me crazy! If you can come up with any other ideas let me know. I'm going to try a few things to see if it helps. Thanks for all your help with trying to solve my issue.

Edited by Brendon
removed double quote

I'm afraid you might be right. Your 'upgrade' would break version 5. :(

The later version of I.E. was reported to be quite the killer, and as I said earlier I can't patch the recognition table in version 6 because they encrypted it.

Since it's not an install problem I've had the title of this topic changed in case it catches the eye of anyone who can help, but I can't think of any way around this at the moment.

Regards,

Brendon

I'm afraid you might be right. Your 'upgrade' would break version 5. :(

The later version of I.E. was reported to be quite the killer, and as I said earlier I can't patch the recognition table in version 6 because they encrypted it.

Since it's not an install problem I've had the title of this topic changed in case it catches the eye of anyone who can help, but I can't think of any way around this at the moment.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon,

Just wanted to run this by you and maybe could help solve, I don't know. What I did was uninstall and unplug both of my drives after installing 6 again. I then hooked up the master first and 6 allowed me to run the system test on it but still didn't recognize it by name. I then hooked up the second (slave) drive and did the same, it allowed me to run the system test on it also (wouldn't let me run the tests before) but still not naming the drives. I opened up the disc copier and still said no supported drives. When I open up Creator Classic it still showed no default recorder but it did read a disc that I put in. When I tried to take files from that disc and put them into asession, the program locked up. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

All I can think of is that your Memorex drives have "fallen through the crack" as far as drive recognition goes. Version 6 was the last to use the lookup table system, and it also used of the 'new' dynamic drive recognition system where the drives told the software what their capabilities were. Just a guess, but the software seems to be having trouble identifying your Memorex drives with either system.

About the only way to confirm or deny that would be to swap drives with another machine.

Regards,

Brendon