18 replies to this topic

#1 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

For some time I've been concerned by how long it takes to both OPEN and SAVE Productions in Videowave, so have done some detailed analysis.

OPEN Production of 80 x Images (JPG), 2 x MOV and 20 x MTS creating Roxio Movie of 13 minutes duration

Started at 16:13 Videowave almost immediately took 100% of one of my CPU's
Reads JPGs
Completed at 16:15
Videowave still using 100%
Reads MOV and MTS
Reads Music

OPEN completed at 16:17 so taking around 4 minutes

Make some changes, doesn't matter what (unless someone wants to convince me otherwise)

SAVE Production (no deletions or additions)

Started at 16:24
Writes to .DAT file
CPU at 100%
Writes to .DMSM
Completed at 16:25
VW continues at 100% CPU
No Disk activity
No Network activity
100% CPU Usage

SAVE Completed at 16:30

Question, what is Videowave doing for the last 5 or six minutes after it seems to have done what it needs?

If anyone wants to throw this at Roxio Support, feel free.

Regards
I Have A Very Difficult Time Understanding Roxio - I don't think Intuitive is a word that could describe it!

I am not a PC Numpty so feel free to use any technical jargon you like, I may have to ask what any TLA's mean (Three Letter Aronym)!

Chillblast Fusion
3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3570K (overclocked to 4ghz)

16gb RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

#2 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

OK, on suggestion from someone I have repeated the above having Cleared Out My Proxy Files (I should add they were aimed at my SSD to avoid conflicts with all the other file locations used in Roxio):-

OPEN took same, 16:47 to 16:51 and I have to admit from seeing what it does I guess it is acceptable. It did start a new VideWaveProxyManager at OPEN time, which alongside VW taking 100% of one CPU also took 100% of one CPU!

SAVE took about same, 16:51, completed writes to .DMSM at 16:53, with complete SAVE completed at 16:57 but slightly longer may have been due to other things going on the system.

I know "other things" can impact on duration, but the final part of the SAVE is only using 100% CPU so shouldn't be any conflict as I have 4 CPUs.
I Have A Very Difficult Time Understanding Roxio - I don't think Intuitive is a word that could describe it!

I am not a PC Numpty so feel free to use any technical jargon you like, I may have to ask what any TLA's mean (Three Letter Aronym)!

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#3 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,554 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

(overclocked to 4ghz)

Have you ran Roxio at stock clock speed?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,241 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

What other processes (not programs) are running. Do you have anything that is cataloging your files? Is your antivirus scanning everything being written to you hard drive? Are you writing to reading from a secondary (not system) hard drive - internal or external.

Look at the processes in Media Manager to see what processes are using more than a minimum amount of CPU time?

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#5 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

I don't know what you mean by "stock clock speed"?

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#6 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

To Skins:-

What other processes (not programs) are running. Many different.

Do you have anything that is cataloging your files? No idea what this means!

Is your antivirus scanning everything being written to you hard drive? No

Are you writing to reading from a secondary (not system) hard drive - internal or external. I have the Roxio files on differing HDD and SSD to my main Photos and Movies to avoid HDD conflicts. They are all internal.

Look at the processes in Media Manager to see what processes are using more than a minimum amount of CPU time? But it's not CPU time that is the problem, Roxio gets 100% of one of my CPUs and other programs/processes use a small amount of others. The only time I saw any significant use of CPU was after I had cleared my Proxy Files, and VideoWaveProxyManager used the same 100% of another CPU while VideoWave itself used 100% of another CPU. For the final 4 or 5 minutes of a SAVE Production, Roxio burns 100% of a single CPU, and does no HDD, SSD, Network activity.

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#7 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

Edit: I just tried watching the process and the CPU usage during a save and a save as. As expected it was done in a couple of seconds. There was not a lot of CPU utilization.

Just to be clear, When you save or save as a project, you are just saving a file that is a roadmap to what you have in the project. You are not saving any resources such as images, videos, etc. Think of the roadmap as a bunch of links. It is essentially a proxy file converted to a permanent file. Since it file would be small, it should not take any time to save it.

Right click on one of the project file, select properties and then the details Do you know how to do a screen shot and post it? If not just copy and paste the details in your response.

Re; Cataloging files. There are some program designed to search your computer faster. The create a catalog of those files.l Once such program is "Copernic Desktop Search".

How do you know that your antivirus is not scanning the files? What antivirus do you use?

Please post your dxdiag.exe evaluation of your computer.
1) Go to Winds Start and type in dxdiag
2) Open it and wait until the green bar disappears.
3) Select to "Save All Information).
4) A text file will be created.
5) Select to save it to your desktop.
6) Select to reply to this message and select the "More Reply Options" at the lower right (of the "Post" button.)
7) When that window opens, select "Choose file" Navigate to it and click on it.
8) Select Attach file.
9) Add reply.

There is no personal information except the name that you have chosen for your computer.

Edited by sknis, 06 September 2014 - 04:04 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

#8 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,444 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:21 AM

I don't know what you mean by "stock clock speed"?

Did your computer come overclocked, or did you overclock it? If you overclocked it, have you tried setting it back to stock clock speed that it was, when you got/built it?

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Viet Nam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#9 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

I'm not at my computer that has Creator NXT2 on it. Does it Have -and are you using
the back up program on it?
My last idea: I don';t know if I suggested this before and I'm suggesting it as a last idea. Go here to download Soluto boot time solution. Since you are not very familiar with computers I will not suggest that you do a msconfig.exe determination of what starts up when you boot because you could uncheck something that really needs to be running. Soluto takes that possibility out. When I runs, it will tell you what is safe to remove from boot (no brainers), what you can remove from boot but you need to make that decision and then what you should not touch. Soluto can be removed if you don't want it but the boot will go back to where it was before you used it.

I still have it on my computer and still use it occasionally..

Take your time. Follow the instructions exactly. If you do not feel comfortable, don't do anything. Just live with the longer save time.

Laptop - Windows 10

#10 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,554 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:56 AM

Are you writing to reading from a secondary (not system) hard drive - internal or external. I have the Roxio files on differing HDD and SSD to my main Photos and Movies to avoid HDD conflicts. They are all internal.

Explain that in detail?

What Roxio default locations have you changed?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

#11 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

Did your computer come overclocked, or did you overclock it? If you overclocked it, have you tried setting it back to stock clock speed that it was, when you got/built it?

My Computer was built over clocked!

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#12 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:30 AM

I'm not at my computer that has Creator NXT2 on it. Does it Have -and are you using
the back up program on it?
My last idea: I don';t know if I suggested this before and I'm suggesting it as a last idea. Go here to download Soluto boot time solution. Since you are not very familiar with computers I will not suggest that you do a msconfig.exe determination of what starts up when you boot because you could uncheck something that really needs to be running. Soluto takes that possibility out. When I runs, it will tell you what is safe to remove from boot (no brainers), what you can remove from boot but you need to make that decision and then what you should not touch. Soluto can be removed if you don't want it but the boot will go back to where it was before you used it.

I still have it on my computer and still use it occasionally..

Take your time. Follow the instructions exactly. If you do not feel comfortable, don't do anything. Just live with the longer save time.

Wow I tried that Soluto thing to see if it was any better than what I use, and the first thing it did was hijack my system logon userinit.exe and change it to Soluto.exe then when I uninstalled it, it didn't put it back to userinit.exe. Pile of pooh and untrustworthy!

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#13 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

Explain that in detail?

What Roxio default locations have you changed?

I would paste something here to show you what I changed but I have absolutely no idea how to paste anything in this forum that isn't text!

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#14 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:39 AM

the back up program on it? ​​​NO
My last idea: I don';t know if I suggested this before and I'm suggesting it as a last idea. Go here to download Soluto boot time solution. Since you are not very familiar with computers I will not suggest that you do a msconfig.exe determination of what starts up when you boot because you could uncheck something that really needs to be running. Soluto takes that possibility out. When I runs, it will tell you what is safe to remove from boot (no brainers), what you can remove from boot but you need to make that decision and then what you should not touch. Soluto can be removed if you don't want it but the boot will go back to where it was before you used it. ​​​I am so unfamiliar with Computers that I run a helpdesk to support a network of 10,000 users and several mainframes.

I still have it on my computer and still use it occasionally.. ​​​I much prefer WINPATROL as it is completely trust worthy and tells what it and anything else is trying to do to your system, includine Solutio!

Take your time. Follow the instructions exactly. If you do not feel comfortable, don't do anything. Just live with the longer save time.​​​Very condescending!!!

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#15 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,554 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

I would paste something here to show you what I changed but I have absolutely no idea how to paste anything in this forum that isn't text!

I am so unfamiliar with Computers that I run a helpdesk to support a network of 10,000 users and several mainframes.

All that knowledge and you don't know how to attach a image screen shot on a forum?

http://forums.suppor...n-cap-on-roxio/

Edited by cdanteek, 11 September 2014 - 03:45 AM.

cd

Spoiler

#16 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,241 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

Agreed, apparently, from the above responses, the OP has no idea what CPU stock speed is, what a program that catalogs files is and others.

Apparently reading is not a strong point either.

Posting outside a quote is important. Don't post inside a quote; it may be missed.

That was not meant to be condescending; it was just a caution. You are the only one that reported that issue. Be honest, did it work?

Quote regarding "Winpatrol" This security software is certainly not for the novice computer user.

Remember we have posters who can barely turn on a computer to those who know everything (the worst kind). Even if you knew that you didn't need it, someone in the future may. Remember this is a forum for users and not Technical Support. With all your pull, you should be able to get free advice from Roxio Tech Support (or be able to afford it).

Are you having any luck with a solution to the original issue?

Edited by sknis, 11 September 2014 - 04:02 AM.

Laptop - Windows 10

#17 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:12 AM

Please don't treat me like an idiot, there is a difference between PASTE and ATTACH as you well know!

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#18 psmallri

psmallri

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

Agreed, apparently, from the above responses, the OP has no idea what CPU stock speed is, what a program that catalogs files is and others. ​​​I can't help but wonder how insulting OP so perhaps you could explain. Those terms mean nothing to me.

Apparently reading is not a strong point either.

Posting outside a quote is important. Don't post inside a quote; it may be missed. ​​​Fair comment - didn't realise that so thank you!

That was not meant to be condescending; it was just a caution. You are the only one that reported that issue. Be honest, did it work? ​​​My PC runs pretty lean and mean, and boot time is fine. I use WINPATROL and MSCONFIG to check my Startup regularly as too many programs sneak things into it without warning you.

Quote regarding "Winpatrol" This security software is certainly not for the novice computer user. ​​​I completely agree but it does a bloody good job!

Remember we have posters who can barely turn on a computer to those who know everything (the worst kind). Even if you knew that you didn't need it, someone in the future may. Remember this is a forum for users and not Technical Support. With all your pull, you should be able to get free advice from Roxio Tech Support (or be able to afford it).​​​Roxio Support are less than helpful or seemingly interested or capable of assisting.

Are you having any luck with a solution to the original issue?​​​None whatsoever, OPENS and SAVES still take an unexplainable time, and I still can't see what Roxio is doing while it's doing nothing!

​​​Don't worry about this issue, just close it and I'll seek a solution somewhere or fix it myself. I won't be beaten by stupid software, there has to be an explanation, even if it is something I'm doing, I really don't care.

Chillblast Fusion

16gb RAM
4tb Hdd

1tb HDD
120gb SSD

#19 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,955 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:10 PM

Please don't treat me like an idiot, there is a difference between PASTE and ATTACH as you well know!

A rose by any other name :lol:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users