Question

I recently bought a Lenovo Y50 from the manufacturer. During the purchase process, they offered it to be shipped with a digital download of Roxio Creator NXT 2. When my computer arrived, I opened the email with the download link and downloaded the program. I downloaded a file called "Download_Roxio_Creator_NXT.exe" and "Download_Roxio_Creator_NXT_Content.exe". I ran the first program and it created a folder in my downloads called "Roxio Creator NXT" and in that file was another .EXE called "Creator_NXT_2". When I ran this program a bar comes up saying "This app can't run on your PC". I attempted to re-download the file with various internet setting changes until a popup that says that I have reached the maximum number of downloads came up.

I am running a Lenovo Y50; x64; Intel i7; 16GB RAM; 1TB Hard-drive; Windows 8.1

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

(I've searched the web for days to no avail)

Edited by Appleman8977

63 answers to this question

Thanks, Ralf.

CD, my comment was made based on the fact that we haven't been able to get an actual version number from anyone that's having this install problem with the Lenovo download to know what they really have. So we don't know what they're downloading. You can assume it's an OEM version if you want, but until that's proven...

I just provided cdanteek my download link in full.

I don't believe that the download is an OEM Looking at the site, it sells for $99. It is not the Pro version.

Transitioning away from the private messaging, In response to: "Would you tell me the size of both downloads on your PC?"

My file sizes are as follows:

• Download_Roxio_Creator_NXT.exe - 1.47MB
  • Download_Roxio_Creator_NXT_Content.exe - 1.47MB
  • Creator_NXT_2.exe - 328MB
  • Creator_NXT_2-Content.exe - 1.28GB

Side note - I paid $50 for Roxio NXT 2 (with the purchase of $1200 computer)

Edited by Appleman8977

Transitioning away from the private messaging, In response to: "Would you tell me the size of both downloads on your PC?"

Fact remains it didn't come from Roxio via Digital River.

Let me confirm first if Roxio does have an agreement with Lenovo to bundle a Roxio product or if it is allowed to sell a retail download version.

We need to wait for Rox-Ralf to make a official statement. He is the only one here that can find out what is going on at Lenovo with Roxio's product.

I am assuming now, that your first 2 listings are actually GBs, not MBs.

Bruce, no, I think those are indeed MBs, as those are just the downloader applications, not the actual install files.

I heard from our higher department and here's what they said.

Lenovo offers Roxio Creator NXT/ NXT 2 via its’ configure-to-order business from their website. It is a retail ESD version of the suite; no different than if a customer ordered it through B&H or any other online retailer. But I think we deal with things using the same kind of OEM protocol for handling support.

So technically, they are selling/offering a full retail version of Roxio Creator NXT/ NXT 2. However, the installation of the product should be done by Lenovo and anything beyond installation questions, the customer should be purchasing a support ticket to Roxio since it is counted as OEM.

So, I don't know if I'm reading this wrong but this is what I'm interpreting it as:

I've purchased the full (or very slightly modified) version of Roxio Creator NXT 2, though it still counts as an "EOMed" program, and thus Roxio won't help me. I either have to go back to Lenovo, tell them Roxio says its outside of its jurisdiction and that Lenovo has to fix my faulty software, or I have to pay Roxio some sum of money to fix it.

Edited by Appleman8977

That would be the conclusion that I got from our higher management. Lenovo should install the software and any problem beyond installation should be needing a support ticket directly from our website. I already told our management about the download link that came from Lenovo. I will let you know if we should be the one to handle it or should ask Lenovo to fix the download link for Roxio Creator NXT 2.

Bruce, no, I think those are indeed MBs, as those are just the downloader applications, not the actual install files.

Ahhhhhhh. You are correct.

I sent another email to Lenovo, they have yet to respond and it's been nearly 24 hours.

Any updates on the Roxio front?

Ralf is the only one here to speak about the problem.

I have a question tho I asked for "Would you tell me the size of both downloads on your PC?"

You post,

You say you paid $50 for NXT2 why do you have downloads of NXT and where did they come from?

You should know, as I sent you the files, that the installer is simply labeled Roxio Creator NXT, yet it downloads the file Creator NXT 2. I paid for Creator NXT 2 and (I'm pretty sure) thats what I got.

You should know, as I sent you the files, that the installer is simply labeled Roxio Creator NXT, yet it downloads the file Creator NXT 2. I paid for Creator NXT 2 and (I'm pretty sure) thats what I got.

The file size of the "real" NXT2 is around 1.3 Gb so what is that "Creator_NXT_2.exe - 328MB" you show in your listing.

Thanks, remember I never got to download anything.

Finally heard back from Lenovo.

My email:

Hello Anthony Garcia,

This email is in reply to an email I received two days, or so, ago concerning my recent purchase and failed installation of Roxio Creator NXT 2.

In the for-mentioned email, I was told "it falls upon the original creator to troubleshoot issues like this during installation." I have been in communication with a number of representatives from Roxio that say, that since the downloader/installer was modified by Lenovo, that any issues with the downloader/installer are to be handled by Lenovo as part of an OEM policy. Also to be noted that one of my issues, being the downloader running out of downloads during my troubleshooting period, references this (websales@lenovo.com) email address for assistance.

I am still awaiting confirmation that Roxio won't help me with this issue, but with the information I have been provided, it would appear that the responsibility lies with Lenovo to fix this faulty installer.

If you wish to see my dialogue with the Roxio representatives on their forum, it can be found here. (I go by the username: Appleman8977)

Lenovo's Response:

Lenovo's responsibility is to ensure that the download link works as intended after purchase to provide our end customers with the product they've ordered, but unfortunately we're not able to support software that we have not authored. Compatibility issues and issues related to the installation of the product on your PC must be handled by the original manufacturer, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other questions, and we'll be happy to assist you with them.

What do y'all make of this?

My email:

Hello Anthony Garcia,

This email is in reply to an email I received two days, or so, ago concerning my recent purchase and failed installation of Roxio Creator NXT 2.

In the for-mentioned email, I was told "it falls upon the original creator to troubleshoot issues like this during installation." I have been in communication with a number of representatives from Roxio that say, that since the downloader/installer was modified by Lenovo, that any issues with the downloader/installer are to be handled by Lenovo as part of an OEM policy. Also to be noted that one of my issues, being the downloader running out of downloads during my troubleshooting period, references this (websales@lenovo.com) email address for assistance.

I am still awaiting confirmation that Roxio won't help me with this issue, but with the information I have been provided, it would appear that the responsibility lies with Lenovo to fix this faulty installer.

If you wish to see my dialogue with the Roxio representatives on their forum, it can be found here. (I go by the username: Appleman8977)

Lenovo's Response:

Lenovo's responsibility is to ensure that the download link works as intended after purchase to provide our end customers with the product they've ordered, but unfortunately we're not able to support software that we have not authored. Compatibility issues and issues related to the installation of the product on your PC must be handled by the original manufacturer, and we apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you have any other questions, and we'll be happy to assist you with them.

Give them the list of File Sizes and ask them to confirm that the NXT2 file download from them is only MB's...

THAT would appear to fall into the realm of their responsibility :lol:

Also ask about a refund should this not have a happy ending!

They already told me no on the refund.

"Additionally, as the software has been downloaded and installation on your PC has been attempted, we are unable to offer a return on it as per our open software policy. "

- Anthony Garcia

Social Media Customer Service

Customer Contact Center

Lenovo US

I almost wish I had bought Creator NXT 2 from Walmart or something. This hassle is worth more than then the $50 dollars I 'saved'.

Edited by Appleman8977

My email:

Hello Anthony Garcia,

Lenovo's Response:

The Lenovo reply seems to be a canned answer. I don't think anybody at Lenovo is really reading your posts.

I hope Rox-Ralf is taking this up the Roxio chain-of-command.

I would suggest you DEMAND a refund from them. They should not be selling a product that won't work on their systems, and they have a legal obligation to refund your purchase costs.

I would suggest you DEMAND a refund from them. They should not be selling a product that won't work on their systems, and they have a legal obligation to refund your purchase costs.

My father, who actually purchased the Computer and the software, has talked of cancelling payment.

I wouldn't say they have a legal obligation, they never said, "This software is compatible with your computer". Its more of a common courtesy issue. Lawyers can twist this an infinite number of ways.

Compatibility is not the real issue here...

It is not the right file! Once you get the right one, on the order of 1.3GB it will work :huh:

It isn't going to come to lawyers, it would cost more than the canceled product just to pay the filing fees :lol: