Pete in a Muddle

Easy Copy Convert 5 ( Con Being The Operative Word Me Thinks)

Question

I wonder if anyone here can help as Tech Support do not seem to be listening... I have purchased Easy C&C 5 to convert a load of VOB files on an external HD to MP4 or AVI. Trouble is when I point the software at the folder it just does not display the file to select for conversion. Any ideas?

9 answers to this question

I wonder if anyone here can help as Tech Support do not seem to be listening... I have purchased Easy C&C 5 to convert a load of VOB files on an external HD to MP4 or AVI. Trouble is when I point the software at the folder it just does not display the file to select for conversion. Any ideas? I previously purchased Easy Creator 10 and had loads of issues. Now begining to think I was foolish buying another Roxio prod. Thing is of course is that Corel seem to own all the commercial brands ( Roxio, Pinnacle et al )......without showing much support for the consumer.

Show us a screen cap or two of what is going on - how you get there and any error.

Pic Post info is HERE

Just so you know, all VOB files are SD and cannot really be made into HD -_-

No screen caps as not on my home pc. However. After the main menu comes up one chooses the appropriate option which for me is Copy & Convert Video. From the next screen you get to set your output format, which there are many suited to a variety of devices. For me it is output as MP4, PAL standard .... Then you get to select the files to be chosen and herein lies the problem. There is an option Copy DVD or Convert Video. I wish to convert VOB files stored on my HD but when I point Roxio at the relevant file, it does not show "ANY" files within the folder, thus I can select VOB to convert. I purchased this specifically because it said convert VOB ( and many more formats) easily and quickly. It doesn't do it and Roxio to date have still not answered my queries AGAIN. I have tried using it to look at converting WMV and AVI and it sees the files perfectly, so the problem exists with VOB only ( well in my case that is). Incidentally these are not copy protected segments so it isn't anything to do with encryption. In fact I put that to the test and it will see encrypted files but cant convert them as it is not a Decrypt programme.

Did you try renaming your .VOB files that are on your HD to .MPG (as suggested in Post #3) to see if they then show up in your file list when you point it to that folder? Please try that and let us know if that works.

Pete,

I understand you couldn't provide screen shots because you weren't at the right computer.

I don't know what version of Video Copy & Convert [VCC] your software has, but I think this one should be close to it. Do you get a screen like this when you fire up the program? [pictures in the output window may be different, depending on your settings]

post-208-0-91209500-1411250268_thumb.jpg

If so, in Convert Video which of these alternatives do you see when you go to Add Source, select Movies, and open a folder with your vob files in it?

If you have a full Video_TS type of folder, with all of a DVD's files in it - including VOBs, IFOs, and BUPs - then you should see something like this in your media selector. An entry for a movie.

post-208-0-01743400-1411251034_thumb.jpg

If you have only VOBs, no IFOs or BUPs, then your media selector should be empty, like this. My test folder has only VOBs, with the IFOs and BUPs removed.

post-208-0-92525500-1411251333_thumb.jpg

Tell me please, is this the behavior you're seeing?

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks Brendon

It certainly is what I see or don't see to be precise....nothing, nada, zip....

So what's the problem?

I am new to this so if it is something I am doing I will be chuffed.

I have to say however Roxio Support is anything but, to date I have had 1 automated "Do Not Reply" message....

Very poor, very similar experience to what I had with them with Easy Creator 10,

Lesson learnt.

Hi Pete,

Good, thanks for confirming that.

The reason this is handled this way is that under the global DVD standards, VOBs are created as sets. The contents of the Video_TS folder are the whole contents of a DVD - menu, movies, and extras. The VOBs contain streams of audio and video, and the player navigates with the instructions found in the IFOs (or BUPs if the IFO is unreadable). Without those navigating instructions you could never guarantee which part of the DVD you might find in a particular VOB.

So the way this software works is to read the IFOs, show you all the movies present on the DVD, and ask you to pick one or more to convert to your desired format. Without the IFOs you see nothing. The software is there to convert whole DVD movies, rather than just one of the VOB files which comprise the movie.

Now a single lonely VOB file can often (but not always) be handled as if it was an MPG file. If you change the file extension to from VOB to MPG you may be able to play it in a media player or convert it to some other file format with Roxio's VCC, the way you want. However the results can be unpredictable, and also the piece you want might be spread between two different VOB files.

Try changing a VOB file extension to MPG and see if you can get what you want. If that doesn't work for you, you'll need to work on a complete set of files rather than just one VOB.

Does this help you?

Regards,

Brendon

[i think the current owners are holding Roxio support to the bare minimum, since it doesn't otherwise generate profit for them. :( ]