Sign in to follow this  
royaldansk

Toast 12 Titanium .. How Do I Burn A *lossless* Data Blu-Ray Disc?

Question

Hello. I need some help with Toast 12 Titanium .. How do I burn a *lossless* data blu-ray disc?

I've gone through all the preferences possible, emptied my "Trash", repaired disk permissions, restarted my computer.. everything.. but when I add a folder to the window, it calculates the folder as being a few gigabytes smaller than the original.. I don't see an option anywhere that is allowing me to select render-quality or to avoid using "compression".. Even in the "Options" tab (right next to the "Media" tab) there is no option for compression/no compression..

I've also tried compressing my original data into .zip folder and then adding it to Toast, which still ended up importing a filesize smaller than that of the original..

I am looking to back up very valuable information and need to make sure that every single file is exactly as they were originally (aka no compression whatsoever)..

Can anybody help me in how I can go about making an *exact/flawless/no compression* blu-ray data disk in Toast 12 Titanium?

Thank you so much!

2 answers to this question

In the Toast Data window there is no possibility of file compression. Toast cannot do it. i don't have the technology knowledge to explain why there are differences in file sizes, but there is no compression.

Ever since Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6), the Finder has been reporting file sizes and disk sizes in “base 10” notation, where 1 KB = 1000 bytes. This is actually an ISO standard. Previous versions of the OS used “base 2” notation, where 1 KB = 2^10 = 1024 bytes. This small change quickly adds up for gigabyte storage. A 50 GB BD-R disc can hold 50,050,629,632 bytes, or 46.6 GB (47,732 MB) in “base 2” notation. The 3.4 GB difference isn't lost or compressed, it is just the meaning of “giga” that has changed. The meaning of “giga” is different for Toast and the Finder.

• Like 1