Sign in to follow this  
double-u q

Backontrack Eats Up Gigs

Question

I was just donated an HP 110 notepad with Roxio Back on Track backup and restore software on it, it's only about a few years old. Everything runs perfectly on it except that I noticed that out of a 160 GB hard drive, I've only got 16 GB of free space, which is odd since the notepad has nothing on it by the XP system and some software that mostly appear to be related to the HP bundle. The previous owner was completely unaware of this, but to be expected as she isn't exactly tech-literate. A Google search turned up the problem of Roxio automatically storing backups, explaining why so much space has been used up on other users' drives. Not seeing anything else on the computer as to what could be hogging up all that space, I can only assume Roxio as being the culprit. Using the program yields nothing by way of where I can find these backups to delete them, nor has the help manual I came across been any help. There was even an option stated of pressing on the F6 as the computer started to access Roxio by another means, the F6 option doesn't work. So I'm just wondering what the secret is and how do I dump all these backups to reclaim about 140 GB. Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Which version of BackOnTrack is on the notepad, and is there any other Roxio software associated with it?

Which version of BackOnTrack is on the notepad, and is there any other Roxio software associated with it?

1.30.31.2, but it seems to be updated as I ran the update for it and it said there are no updates to provide. A search of the computer shows only that Roxio program on it.

Okay, I'll go digging and see if I can find a copy to run. Then I can tell you where to look for the backup sets.

It could take a while, but I'll be back as soon as I can be.

Regards,

Brendon

Okay, I'll go digging and see if I can find a copy to run. Then I can tell you where to look for the backup sets.

It could take a while, but I'll be back as soon as I can be.

Regards,

Brendon

I'll hang in.

Problem:

I never want to give advice without actually running the software in question, but I haven't been able to locate the version of BackOnTrack you have mentioned.

I got version 2 back when Roxio first acquired BackOnTrack from SystemOK, and Creator 2012 has version 4 bundled with it, but I can't find a version 1.30.31.2 anywhere. Because of that I can't tell you the name/location of a folder to clean out.

About the best thing I can suggest at the moment is using one of the free utilities such as Spacemonger or Space Hog [look them and their alternatives up with your browser search engine]. One of these should show you where all your space has gone, and what the filenames are so that you can go there and delete them.

Regards,

Brendon

Thanks for your effort. I just noticed earlier that with the version I have (apparently a free one installed with the system), it lacks the very feature I need that appears in the paid version, the feature that would list all the backups and allow you to delete whichever or however many you want. Kind of dumb to have this kind of program, which seems to disable System Restore (but it can be re-enabled manually) and still not have any way to dump the multiplying files. But suggesting Spacemonger, Space Hog, etc. as one possible way to find those files might do the trick, with luck. I'll give it a shot and see if it does and I'll post the results here later on. Thanks again.

Apparently System Restore needs to be disabled in order to use any version of this software.

Yes, I agree with you. The practice of disabling useful/necessary features or castrating software that you're either going to bundle or sell cheaply is quite cynical, and I think dishonest. Especially when they're not telling you what features were disabled.

The 'free' bundled software can cause the unwary user a lot of difficulty because it doesn't work as expected. Having to buy the full version after you find the cheap version you already bought has been castrated, means you have to buy twice to get the software you wanted.

I seemed to have found at least a partial solution. I thought it best not to yank Roxio version 1.30.31.2 out of my system, based on the horror stories I've read about what damage that would cause, so I figured I had to reluctantly work with it somehow. First, I have to preface this by saying that I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but in my case, with my HP-100 1000 notebook (XP SP3), so far the results have been positive in recovering at least 100 gigs of hard drive space away from Roxio's hogging back-ups.

So, long story short is as follows:

First, download and install Glary Utilities, it's a free program. The Roxio back-up files are hidden but when you run Glary's Disk Space Analyzer, it will detect them under the folder C: System Rollback Data > Restore > Current. In case it doesn't detect it, go to Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View and un-checkmark 'Hide protected operating system files' then click OK and run Disk Space Analyzer again, though you might have to exit Glary and start it up again for the Analyzer to detect the folder if it doesn't detect it right after you un-checkmark 'Hide protected operating system files.'

In that 'Current' folder will be a few other numbered subfolders. Click each one until you find the mother lode, being a whole slew of other numbered folders. These would come with sizes and creation dates. In my case, I had about 600 such back-up folders usurping over 100 gigs of hard drive space.

Now you want to delete these folders through Glary's Disk Space Analyzer. Not knowing where to begin, I felt that keeping the first week's worth of folders, which dated back to 2009, and the last week's folders would be a safe bet in not screwing up any needed back-up files, especially if the folders numbered in double-digit gig size, like 10 or 20 GB. I would assume those would have everything and more as back-ups. All other folders dated in between I thought would be safe enough to delete as they would be redundant back-ups.

When you delete, one of a few things will happen. You can only delete one folder at a time, which can be a tedious process, especially if you have hundreds of them to scrap, so patience is in order. Some deletions will go quick, while others will take a couple of minutes. Either the deletion will be successful or a message will pop up that a folder can't be deleted for one reason or another. In that case, it's assumed those folders are needed, at least for the time being. No need to panic if that happens, regardless of what message pops up, because it seems that Roxio is just doing its job.

Instead of deleting all that can be deleted and then deleting them from the recycle bin right afterwards, into which they end up, I thought that before deleting them from the recycle bin, I'd restart my computer to make sure it still worked fine and that none of the folders in the recycle bin were crucial ones that Roxio might be screaming for to have. Basically, I deleted about 30-50 folders at a time, after which I restarted my computer and once it was obvious there was no problem by not having any of those folders, I then deleted them from the recycle bin to reclaim my hard drive space. In every case, my computer restarted fine, and by doing so, it simply told me that I could go ahead and delete the next batch of folders that ended up in the recycle bin. Just keep doing this till Roxio won't let you delete any more folders, after which that's probably as far as you can go in getting rid of useless back-ups and reclaiming hard drive space.

Again, depending on how many such folders you have in your Roxio backup 'Current' folder, this would require patience on your part. I estimate that it took me about two hours to clean out as much as I could, but doing so only at about 15-20 minutes at a time over the last few days. I suppose that's also one way to make sure that everything will still run fine if it's done over a period of a few days. In any case, Roxio continues to create more back-ups, but at least it's manageable now and all one would have to do is stick to a schedule of deleting unnecessary back-ups once every couple of weeks or every month, just so that they don't overbloat your computer's hard drive and you won't have to find yourself spending too much time getting rid of them again.

And that is pretty much it. I wish there was a simpler way to do this, and better yet, a way to safely dump Roxio entirely from my computer, but doing it through Glary's Disk Space Analyzer at least helped make it an easy enough process in an intuitive way and it should do for now, at least until I come across the solution I really want. So, hopefully, this'll help any others with this same problem affecting HP 100-1000. It might work for other models, but I can't vouch for that so be wary and play it safe.

Thanks for coming back with those results. I'm sure it will help others here.

I'll have this topic transferred to the Back On Track forum soon, so more BoT users will see it.

Regards,

Brendon