Sign in to follow this  
PureChaosX

Mp4 Recordings Vanish

Question

Hello all, I have recently run into a problem I had not yet encountered, as I usually record in M2TS. However, upon wasting 40 minutes of recording in MP4, I discovered a small problem.

Basically, after recording an MP4 recording, a progress bar will appear labelled "Waiting" and it takes a few seconds, regardless of the length of the video.

Once the progress bar has completed, I go to the folder where my videos save and... nothing. The MP4 is gone. It's there DURING the recording, but once I stop recording, it just vanishes.

It doesn't matter how long the video is or the input I use, it always goes missing. From what I've read, the Roxio still records in M2TS, but converts it to MP4 after you stop recording. If that's the case, then surely I'll still have a recording in my save folder. But I do not.

If I record directly in M2TS, I have no such problem and the file stays. But MP4 doesn't... it just goes away never to return. I've searched the drive for the missing files, but nothing.

I assume this isn't normal behaviour? If it does indeed convert the file to MP4, then where is it?

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be grateful. Thanks!!

7 answers to this question

We have found a problem IF the recording is 1 hour or more in length...

No one has tried to nail down the exact second it fails at ;)

Since the software records FIRST as an M2TS and then converts when you stop, there is no real advantage in bothering with it!

Just record in m2ts and if you have some actual need to convert to MP4, then do that in VideoWave or some other 3rd Party converter. ;)

Thanks for clearing some things up for me. Annoyingly, I do tend to record videos at over an hour, so losing the video just because I recorded in MP4 is a little concering. That being the case, I'll stick with M2TS for the recordings to make life simpler.

I have heard though that the problem COULD be down to the K-Lite Codec Pack, which I do actually use. Has it been confimred that the codec pack IS a possible cause, or was it just conicidence that uninstalling it fixed the issue?

But thank you again for the info!

Edited by PureChaosX

As It turns out, I do have a need to record in MP4, and that's so I never have to open the included editing software just to extract the audio from the M2TS so that I can finally just open the recording in Vegas and do my editing in that. (AVIDemux never works for me.)

But it's beside the point: the MP4 files auto delete the instant I press Stop on the capture. This has NOTHING to do with length of the recording! I can record 30 seconds or 30 minutes and the end result is the same. It is completely beyond me how a program could ever be coded to behave in this manner, and the claim that MP4 is supported cannot and should not be made until this is resolved.

Edited by Surat

Hi I also have this problem, is there any solution yet other than recording in .m2ts? when I use the .m2ts files in my video editing software (Powerdirector 12), if the clip is long (around 1 hour) it will stretch the clip to around 5 hours and the video will be TOTALLY screwed. This goes for playing the raw file in VLC media player or windows media player. So I was glad to see that .mp4 was an option so I did a test record of an hour to see what it was like, and it just vanished.