9 replies to this topic

#1 Tucker

Tucker

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

When I installed EMC 7/7.5, Backup MyPC 6.0 was installed automatically. Because of all the projects I now have on my system that are dependent on 7.5 VideoWave and MyDVD, EMC 7.5 has to stay on my system. Migrating them to EMC 9 would just be too time consuming. I plan to  build my new projects on EMC 9.

When I install EMC 9, the install process recognizes that BUMP 6 is installed and offers to uninstall it for me. It really doesn't, and as a result the EMC 9 install process fails to install BUMP 7.

I've tried to "Modify" the 7.5 install via the Control Panel and remove BUMP 6, but that is not an option that is offered. Based on what I read in this forum, it seems the only way to get rid of BUMP 6 is to perform surgery on the Windows registry and manually delete Roxio and Sonic entries and other folders on the drives. Unfortunately, I'd like to keep EMC 7 intact, so the registry surgery is troubling.

Isn't there an easier and better way to do this???? :)  Seems like until I get rid of BUMP 6 on my system, I can't get to BUMP 7, and I'd really like to get to BUMP 7 level. Roxio seems to have figured out how to deal with the EMC 7.5 level of D2D OK when EMC 9 installs the newer level of D2D. Too bad they didn't do it for BUMP.

Bill Hallahan
Processor: Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-v Pro
Ram: 16 GB
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GT440 1GB VRAM

DVD Drive: LG Blu-ray Rewritable w/ Lightscribe
SSD 256GB OCZ Vector

Disk Storage: 2.5 TB
Windows 8 Pro x64
Creator 2012 Pro

#2 jeanrosenfeld

jeanrosenfeld

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

I think that you would be alright if you compleyely uninstalled EMC 9 (note there are several related entries in add/remove), then deleted just the folders and registry entries related to Backup My PC, then reinstall EMC 9. Since BUMP 9 did not get installed, the folders and registry entries related to Backup MyPC would all relate to the older one, and those are the things that cause EMC 9 not to install BackupMyPC.

That should leave the rest of EMC 7.5 intact.

That's what worked for me when I had the same problem (from the EMC 8 Backup My PC remnants leftover after I'd uninstalled that). For details see my post number 6 in http://forums.suppor...?showtopic=9611

Noe that EMC9 installs BAckup MyPC in C:\Program Files\Roxio\Backup MyPC, rather than under \Sonic which is where previous versions were.

Edited by jeanrosenfeld, 09 October 2006 - 10:32 AM.

Dell XPS630i. Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI. CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz. RAM: 3 GB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM). Hard drives: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA. Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. Audio: Audigy 2 (Dell OEM). DVD RW drives: Liteon iHAS234, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N. All drivers and firmware up to date.
XP Pro SP3 , IE 8, WMP 11, all updates. Creator 2011 Pro.

#3 Tucker

Tucker

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

Thanks, I'll try that approach. Searching the registry for entries containing Backup MyPC or BUMP_60 and deleting them (after uninstalling EMC 9) sounds simple enough. I guess I should verify that there are no BUMP_70 entries there as well.

SSD 256GB OCZ Vector

Windows 8 Pro x64
Creator 2012 Pro

#4 Tucker

Tucker

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

Success!

I now have EMC 7.5, without Backup MyPC 6, coexisting with EMC 9 and Backup MyPC 7 on my system.

I found many suggestions in different posts on this forum, so I thought I'd summarize the steps I took so it's all in one place.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uninstall EMC 9, EMV 9 Content, Drag to Disc, and Xingtone Ringtone Maker from Windows via the Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel.

Deleted the following cookies from C:\documents and settings\username\cookies
username@activation.roxio[1].txt
username@www.roxio[1].txt
username@registration.roxio[1].txt
username@www.sonic[2].txt

Removed the registration entries for all the products (DMV 3.5 and Roxio Easy Media Creator 9) in the registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sonic\Registration.

Removed all the registry entries for Backup MyPC, BUMP_6 and BUMP_7.

Removed all references to Backup MyPC from the Roxio and Sonic folders in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users, and username.

Removed all references to Backup MyPC from the Roxio and Sonic folders in the Program Files folders on C: and the drive I use to store application programs.

Reboot, turn off anti-virus and run EMC 9 install, followed by a reboot and install of the EMC9 Content CD.

Depending on your system, you may or may not find Backup MyPC references in all the places mentioned above, but I checked all the locations anyway. I only hope this documentation may be of help to someone else if they find themselves in a similar situation.

SSD 256GB OCZ Vector

Windows 8 Pro x64
Creator 2012 Pro

#5 jeanrosenfeld

jeanrosenfeld

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:55 PM

Great, glad it worked for you too.
Dell XPS630i. Chipset: nVIDIA nForce 650i SLI. CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz. RAM: 3 GB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM). Hard drives: 2x WD25 00AAJS-75VWA 250GB SATA. Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB. Audio: Audigy 2 (Dell OEM). DVD RW drives: Liteon iHAS234, HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N. All drivers and firmware up to date.
XP Pro SP3 , IE 8, WMP 11, all updates. Creator 2011 Pro.

#6 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:24 PM

The only way it worked for me was to uninstall both EMC 9 and EMC 7.5.  I then went through getting rid of everything Roxio and Sonic, on my computer, rebooting and installing EMC 9 first.

After I got everything up and running with EMC 9, I installed EMC 7.5.  Both now coexist with BUMP 7 showing up.  Although I don't use BUMP at all, I decided that I needed to find a way to make it work.  What was suggested earlier in this thread, did not work.

Computers differ, and they all have their idiosyncrasies.  What works for one may not work for all.  I offer my fix as an alternative if the good solution that Tucker posted, doesn't work for you.
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#7 Tucker

Tucker

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

Bruce,

I like your approach better. The only thing I would have to be careful about is deleting some EMC 7.5 folders that contain the info about the content of the .dmsm files of VideoWave. I am not sure where all the information is kept. I was burned recently when I uninstalled EMC and deleted all the program file and docs & settings folders associated with it. When I reinstalled, and opened my .dmsm project files (I keep my project file in a separate subdirectory of My Documents), several of the pointers to media files, overlays, etc. were "broken" and it took several hours to rebuild the projects.

I delete Roxio stuff with much more caution these days. :)

SSD 256GB OCZ Vector

Windows 8 Pro x64
Creator 2012 Pro

#8 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:22 PM

View PostTucker, on Oct 13 2006, 12:53 PM, said:

Bruce,

I like your approach better. The only thing I would have to be careful about is deleting some EMC 7.5 folders that contain the info about the content of the .dmsm files of VideoWave. I am not sure where all the information is kept. I was burned recently when I uninstalled EMC and deleted all the program file and docs & settings folders associated with it. When I reinstalled, and opened my .dmsm project files (I keep my project file in a separate subdirectory of My Documents), several of the pointers to media files, overlays, etc. were "broken" and it took several hours to rebuild the projects.

I delete Roxio stuff with much more caution these days. :)

I store all of my .dmsm files on a different partiton.  Actually, the folder I made, Roxio Productions, is on another hard drive in my computer.  If I delete all Roxio program folders etc., my productions are left unscathed, as long as I did not move any of the content (photos and video) in those productions.

Edited by grandpabruce, 13 October 2006 - 12:24 PM.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#9 chanseng

chanseng

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

I have slightly different problem.
During installation of EMC9. I pick custom install and choose not to install Backup My PC. However, after the reboot, I found it is actually installed.

#10 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,487 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

View Postchanseng, on Oct 24 2006, 07:45 PM, said:

I have slightly different problem.
During installation of EMC9. I pick custom install and choose not to install Backup My PC. However, after the reboot, I found it is actually installed.

I didn't remember having the option to not install it, but it was probably there.  Why it would install it, if you chose not to, is strange.  Can you actually click on it and open it?
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce

Main System:
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users