KJL

Windows Says "software Used Unsigned Drivers"

Question

Hello,

I recently purchased Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus directly from Roxio. I installed the software on my Lenovo Windows 7 - 64 bit desktop computer. During the installation, I received a message saying that the process had been "interrupted" and that I should start over. I did that, and it installed completely. However, shortly after opening the program, I saw an on-screen message telling me that the software had installed unsigned drivers and that "Windows requires that all drivers be digitally signed." It told me to contact the manufacturer to obtain digitally signed drivers, but I was unable to find anything on the Roxio website. In the Device Manager list, there are two "Roxio Video Capture USB" entries; the first one has a yellow triangle. When I click on it, it says "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)" I tried the "Update Driver", but the result was "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date."

I have the video capture device connected to my VHS machine with RCA cables (Red - White - Yellow), but the Roxio program is not receiving a signal.

Any ideas?

- Ken

56 answers to this question

I find it hard to believe as well. But after sitting here for three days, uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, reconfiguring, etc., I can't NOT believe it! I've uploaded a screen shot of the InstallShield Wizard telling me that it has successfully installed the device. But in spite of that, I can't get Windows to not try to install its own drivers. I can tell it to "Browse my computer" for driver software, but it never finds it. Shouldn't it already be installed, once the Roxio driver program finishes?

- Ken

post-122233-0-44420400-1419041578_thumb.png

After the above installation you click finish and reboot before plugging in the Roxio USB Capture Device?

Exactly! I just did it a couple more times, taking notes, to make sure I wasn't being careless. I delete the drivers from the Device Manager, make sure the capture device is unplugged, run the EasyVHStoDVDv3DriverX64_setup.exe, which completes successfully, then reboot. Once the computer is fully up and running, I plug in the capture device, and the Windows Device Driver Installation begins, using Windows Update. It's extremely frustrating and doesn't really make sense.

- Ken

Exactly! I just did it a couple more times, taking notes, to make sure I wasn't being careless. I delete the drivers from the Device Manager, make sure the capture device is unplugged, run the EasyVHStoDVDv3DriverX64_setup.exe, which completes successfully, then reboot. Once the computer is fully up and running, I plug in the capture device, and the Windows Device Driver Installation begins, using Windows Update. It's extremely frustrating and doesn't really make sense.

- Ken

Wrong!

You delete the drivers from device manager unplug the USB device and set it aside, now reboot the PC.

When the PC is up and running disable all running programs especially antivirus/firewall software and run the EasyVHStoDVDv3DriverX64_setup.exe when finished reboot the PC.

When the PC is up and running open device manager and now plugin the USB device, what does it show?

Sorry.... I wasn't careful in typing the steps I had taken. But just to be sure, I did it once again. Here is the log I kept:

post-122233-0-50238900-1419100766_thumb.jpg

Following the procedure, the result was exactly the same as before. Here are screenshots of the Device Manager before

post-122233-0-81907200-1419100855_thumb.jpg

and after I plugged in the capture device

post-122233-0-03905900-1419100869_thumb.jpg

It seems that Windows does not see the drivers installed by the Roxio program, so it proceeds with looking for drivers using Windows update. Do you agree? What could cause that?

- Ken

Ken you have a messed up USB PC problem.

Answer post #32 question and post the screen shot before doing anything please.

Before uninstalling anything follow the

1) Open the Start menu and choose Run.

2) Type in cmd and click OK.

3) At the command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)

4) On the next command prompt line, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.

5) In the Device Manager Console, from the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.

And post a screen shot showing the same entries expanded like my pic.

Read the uninstall hidden devices below, are you confident your computer skills are up for this? If so proceed with caution I took a screen shot of mine and if you show any identical remove them, right click uninstall. After a reboot is necessary. If you see any grayed out you know you don't use uninstall them. I want to see your screen shot before you proceed!

Uninstall Hidden Devices, Drivers, and Services

gplus-16.png Posted by David KirkWindows 7, Windows installation

This tutorial describes the steps used to remove unwanted devices, drivers, and services from the device manager. These instructions can be used with Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista and Windows 7.

Have you had drivers or devices that will not go away even though you are sure you have uninstalled them? Have you replaced your old 100Mbps network card with a faster Gbps adapter, but you cannot re-assign it the same IP address because your system insists there is still an adapter installed with that same IP address? The system also insists that you forgot to remove the driver before removing the old card. Unwanted items in the device manager can cause numerous problems such as these.

To get rid of unwanted drivers, devices, or services, use the following steps:

1) Open the Start menu and choose Run.

2) Type in cmd and click OK.

3) At the command prompt, type in set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and press Enter. (Note that nothing seems to happen. This is expected. You are actually setting an environment variable which is going to help you to see hidden devices.)

4) On the next command prompt line, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. This will launch the Windows Device Manager Console.

5) In the Device Manager Console, from the View menu, select Show Hidden Devices.

As you expand the different drivers and devices in the device manager, you will see not only the items that Windows currently detects as installed on your PC; but you will also see drivers, devices, and services which have been loaded in the past but were not uninstalled or are not currently started. You can find your offending device, right-click, and choose uninstall to remove it from the system completely.

Note that non-loaded devices, drivers, and services are “grayed” out, but that does not necessarily mean that you should delete all of them. Only remove items you know you do not need. Be careful that you do not change too many devices, or you might need to re-activate your Windows installation.

Finally, if you accidentally exit the Device Manager Console you will need to start over again at the command prompt. To close the command prompt window, type exit.

post-97-0-98499700-1419103780_thumb.jpg

OK, I ran the commands you asked for. I have screen shots of the Device Manager, both before and after I removed the Roxio drivers.

Before:

post-122233-0-72535900-1419108258_thumb.jpg

After:

post-122233-0-90782700-1419108267_thumb.jpg

Of the ones that are grayed out, the Logitech is a webcam that I haven't used for a couple of years. The M-Audio KeyStudio is for a MIDI piano keyboard that I definitely use, although it's been a few months since the last use. I don't know what the others are, but I don't see anything you identified with a red arrow. Just for the record, I have a USB Canon scanner, a USB keyboard, and Keyspan Serial-to-USB converter (for programming alarm systems).

- Ken

I have no idea what it's for. I looked through its properties; the install date was 10/14/2011...... the same day I bought my computer.

No. I do have a hub, but I plug the Roxio capture device directly into a front USB port.

- Ken

I have no idea what it's for. I looked through its properties; the install date was 10/14/2011...... the same day I bought my computer.

What is the USB Audio device shown before and after?

I would uninstall it and re-do post # 30 again.

No. I do have a hub, but I plug the Roxio capture device directly into a front USB port.

- Ken

Have you tried plugging it into a USB on the rear?

I uninstalled the "USB Audio Device" driver, followed the same procedure as previously (kept a log again), same exact result: one "Roxio Video Capture USB" driver installed correctly, the other reported "No Driver Found.

I have not tried plugging it into a rear USB port, but I will.

- Ken

Ken I know this is getting old but you have variables I don't so the only thing to do at this point is eliminate them.

I would uninstall the webcam since you haven't used it in two years.

How about the Camera and Kindle showing in other devices?

I would uninstall them.

What is the USB Hub used for?

Unplug it for now.

Did you say you had a wifi Mouse?

Plugin and use a ps2 mouse.

Unplug the Keyspan Serial-to-USB converter.

Uninstall the two Roxio drivers again, unplug the device and reboot.

When the PC is up and running shutdown all programs and antivirus/firewalll software, run the setup.exe for the v2d3plus x64 drivers, reboot the PC.

Open device manager and plugin the Roxio USB device.

What say you now? :unsure:

Well, I know I'm getting old! ;)

So....... I uninstalled the drivers for the webcam, the Kindle, the camera, and (of course) the Roxio capture device drivers (there are no longer any "other" drivers listed). I really don't need the hub at this point, so I unplugged it. I unplugged the Keyspan Serial-to-USB adapter. I don't have a wireless mouse (it's a PS2), but I do have a USB keyboard; My wife's computer has a PS2 keyboard, so I swapped them. I now have NO USB devices plugged in. I again repeated the procedure (logged every step), with the exact same result. Windows Device Driver installation immediately began when I plugged in the capture device; one driver installed correctly, the other reported "No driver found." It may be worth pointing out that the first two or three thousand times I did this, the result was "driver not installed successfully", "unsigned driver", etc. Now, it simply says it can't find a driver. Why would that have changed, if I am constantly deleting all traces of the installation?

I really appreciate your continued help and patience with this. I suppose that surrender will become an option at some point......

- Ken

Right click the entry in other devices and click properties, click the driver tab, click update driver, browse my computer for driver software, search for driver software in this location, (my location) C:\Users\stick\Desktop\New folder (2)\EasyVHStoDVDv3DriverX64_KZ06AXD1FUL (point to your location) check the box include subfolders, click next.

I hope yours will say this?

post-97-0-98168500-1419181908_thumb.jpg

post-97-0-12962700-1419182071_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it's because EasyVHStoDVDv3DriverX64_KZ06AXD1FUL.exe is zipped, but the result was this:

post-122233-0-30356200-1419184357_thumb.jpg

So, the EasyVHStoDVDv3DriverX64_KZ06AXD1FUL.exe is not actually the driver, right? it's a self extracting zip file that contains the Install Wizard and the driver?? Is there a way to just pull the driver itself out?

- Ken

It is zipped but windows won't point to it.

Reboot and check device manager with Roxio USB plugged in.

post-97-0-45426300-1419185048_thumb.jpg

Same result. I don't know that we could expect it to have changed, since Windows reported that it couldn't find a driver. I changed (a copy of) that file from .exe to .zip, then I manually extracted it and saw the list of files you showed. But the setup.exe that you pointed to just starts the Install Wizard, Wouldn't that be the same thing as just running the self-extracting .exe file?

- Ken

I did reboot..... same result. I was wondering, though....... since the drivers are clearly installed correctly on my wife's machine, what if I copied all the files associated with the device driver and placed them into the same location on my machine? I'm not saying it would be simple, but is there any chance it would work?

Here is the list of files I found on her computer under "Driver Details":

Driver 1:

\windows\emMONA.exe

\windows\system32\drivers\BdaSup.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\dmk.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\emBDA64A.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\emOEM64.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\merlinFW.rom

\windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys

\windows\system32\emPRP64A.ax

\windows\syswow64\emPRPA.ax

Driver 2:

\windows\system32\drivers\dmk.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys

\windows\system32\drivers\USBAUDIO.sys

\windows\system32\SysFxUI.dll

\winmdows\system32\WMALFXGFXDSP.dll

- Ken

It's your PC, you can do what you want, but I wouldn't recommend it, might really botch things up!

Here is what I would recommend, but you make the call?

It should reset and reinstall the drivers, like uninstalling a optical drive that is buggered up.

I would check the power management first reboot then the "Universal Serial Bus controllers."

Power Management and USB Controller

1. Open the Device Manager as explained previously.

2. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers."

3. Right-click each entry titled "USB Root Hub" and select "Properties."

4. Change to the "Power Management" tab.

5. Uncheck the check box next to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

6. Press "OK."

7. Repeat this for each "USB Root Hub" entry.

8. Reboot the computer.

Uninstall and Reinstall the USB Controller

1. Open the Device Manager as explained previously.

2. Expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers."

3. Right-click each entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and select "Uninstall."

4. Ensure you've done this for each entry under "Universal Serial Bus controllers."

5. Reboot the computer.