Flying Dutchman

Need Help Getting Program To Use Ntsc As Default

Question

Gent's - I need some assistance getting EVD3 Plus to use NTSC as the Default. When I first installed the program, it was in NTSC mode, and I was able to capture videos from VHS tapes and burn them to DVD, both directly and after capturing to the hard drive. I am in the US and have a Intel i5 Windows7 laptop.

Today, when I Exported and burned several DVD from captured videos on my hard drive, everything worked fine, but they were in PAL. I tried using the Restore Default Settings and also Restore Defaults under Preferences, but it reverts to PAL. When I burn a DVD it of course will not play on a standard DVD player. The DVDs will play on my computer and when I checked the .VOB files o the discs -- they are all 720x576.

Am suggestions on getting the software to default back to NTSC?

Thanks

Edited by Flying Dutchman

15 answers to this question

We have fought with this one once or twice and I did not make any notes about it...

The things I recall most likely do not apply to you.

Make sure your Project Settings (under File) are set to NTSC.

Make sure none of your clips are in PAL.

If you are making a DVD - NEVER tinker with the settings under the Computer option.

Check those out and let us know ;)

Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply. This is bizarre - but I believe my issue is resolved - see #3 below.

1) I do not know what you mean by "Make sure your Project Settings (under File) are set to NTSC". Under File, I have Preferences, but there is nothing there about NTSC or PAL.

2) I checked and none of my captured clips are PAL - they are all 720x480, with a data rate of 8000kbps.

3) I restarted my computer and as recommended, did not "tinker with the settings under Computer". I just Exported a short clip to a DVD-RW (as a test) and it worked fine. I will try a longer Export and Post my results.

Thanks,

Tim

I think that Jim was thinking about a different VHS2DVD version - the VHS2DVD 3 Plus version has no Project settings only a Preferences option and there is no way (that I can see) where you can set NTSC or PAL.

Glad that the restart corrected the problem

Guilty Walt! :lol:

I was rushing and found an older pic and did not look at the version it was under...

PAL is "automatic" in EVD3 but can be forced by outputting a file under the Computer presets and under Advanced Settings, choose PAL for the 'Frame Rate'. It is the backdoor approach ;)

My apology for the delayed response, the holidays became my focus. As stated above, a restart solved the PAL issue. I was able to export several long DVDs.

Thanks again!

I just had this issue as well. Made two DVD's yesterday and they burned as NTSC, no issue with playing them. Made one today and when I put it in my DVD player to test it, I got an error that it cannot play PAL discs. So it somehow recorded in PAL. I have changed NO settings since yesterday. :( I see no reason that the source video would be in PAL. I live in the US and these are videos that I recorded off TV years and years ago (also in the US). The only difference I can think of is that yesterday's were recorded from network TV and today's was recorded from local public access. Would that make a difference?

I do not see the "computer presets" or "advanced settings" mentioned above in my menus.

Any suggestions appreciated!

EDIT: I checked the "bad" video properties and they are all 720x480, with a data rate of 8000kbps. Is that PAL?

Also, today's DVD seemed to burn 3-4x faster than the ones yesterday, even though they were roughly the same length in minutes. Don't know if that means anything?

Edited by certifiedcrush

I did read it all...the only thing I see that someone got to work was restarting the computer. Seems way too simple, but.... that's the next thing I plan to try (at the moment I'm out of DVDs so I gotta get some).

I did read it all...the only thing I see that someone got to work was restarting the computer. Seems way too simple, but.... that's the next thing I plan to try (at the moment I'm out of DVDs so I gotta get some).

Really? You hadn't rebooted your computer before?

I just had this issue as well. Made two DVD's yesterday and they burned as NTSC, no issue with playing them. Made one today and when I put it in my DVD player to test it, I got an error that it cannot play PAL discs. So it somehow recorded in PAL. I have changed NO settings since yesterday. :( I see no reason that the source video would be in PAL. I live in the US and these are videos that I recorded off TV years and years ago (also in the US). The only difference I can think of is that yesterday's were recorded from network TV and today's was recorded from local public access. Would that make a difference?

I do not see the "computer presets" or "advanced settings" mentioned above in my menus.

Any suggestions appreciated!

EDIT: I checked the "bad" video properties and they are all 720x480, with a data rate of 8000kbps. Is that PAL?

Also, today's DVD seemed to burn 3-4x faster than the ones yesterday, even though they were roughly the same length in minutes. Don't know if that means anything?

720x480 is NTSC not PAL

Really? You hadn't rebooted your computer before?

I had just used my last DVD-R on that failed project so hadn't been able to troubleshoot since then, and it was working just fine the day before when I made the other DVDs. So no, I hadn't rebooted just for the hell of it.

<<720x480 is NTSC not PAL>>

That's what I thought, too...but my DVD player is saying the disc is PAL and refusing to play it. I have used the same DVD player and same brand of DVDs before with this program and it has been fine.

EDIT: I rebooted and tried the project again but with less clips on the disc (it will span 2 discs either way, but I unchecked "autofit" and burned less total time just to try something different) and got the same PAL result when trying to view it. This is really frustrating.

Edited by certifiedcrush

You need to try the discs in another Player as well as using a DVD Player program on your PC...

An error message from a DVD Player is not the gospel but a random list of 'could be's'... :lol:

Were it actually PAL it would be 720 X 576. As discussed before, PAL can ONLY happen when you use PAL source files! If you don't have any, it is not PAL -_-

I went to the basement and pulled out my cheap DVD player from circa 2001, hooked it up to the TV, and interestingly enough -- it works. Shouldn't a newer DVD player be more attuned to DVD-R's than one that's around 14-15 years old? :wacko:

However, now I'm having a new issue regarding video signal, or lack thereof. Sigh. Will post it in that forum.

I went to the basement and pulled out my cheap DVD player from circa 2001, hooked it up to the TV, and interestingly enough -- it works. Shouldn't a newer DVD player be more attuned to DVD-R's than one that's around 14-15 years old? :wacko:

However, now I'm having a new issue regarding video signal, or lack thereof. Sigh. Will post it in that forum.

Not necessary but it does indicate time to clean that basement :lol: Cheaper ones used Computer DVD drives whereas the better players used purpose built drives and they were sensitive to signal strength.

NEVER use "Fit to Disc" as it degrades the DVD output that many Players have trouble!

Be specific in your 'Signal Post' about the error message, when you start that New Topic ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin