Kapu

Freezes While Taping

Question

Hi again! Now it seems I am having another issue with the player (not Plus). I have recorded about 5 so far, but in between, and it's getting worse and worse, the taping will freeze on a scene in the video. The video keeps playing, but the preview screen is frozen. I then have to reboot computer to get the DVD out and start all over. I read somewhere on here that if you have a lot of empty gaps, the player will think it's time to stop, but it is freezing right in the middle of action! I am using Memorex 120 until I can get the better DVDs you had suggested, but is that really the problem? Or should I consider something else? Thanks! Kristin

12 answers to this question

Hi again! Now it seems I am having another issue with the player (not Plus). I have recorded about 5 so far, but in between, and it's getting worse and worse, the taping will freeze on a scene in the video. The video keeps playing, but the preview screen is frozen. I then have to reboot computer to get the DVD out and start all over. I read somewhere on here that if you have a lot of empty gaps, the player will think it's time to stop, but it is freezing right in the middle of action! I am using Memorex 120 until I can get the better DVDs you had suggested, but is that really the problem? Or should I consider something else? Thanks! Kristin

Are you burning directly to DVD? If yes then I would recommend (as do most "experts") that you first capture to your hard drive and later burn a DVD. Also remember that a DVD can only hold 60 minutes of best quality video. The 120 minutes listed by the DVD makers is mostly marketing since squeeziing2 hours of video on those DVDs will give poor quality.

Also how much free space do you have on your hard drive? Have you done a defrag recently or any kind of maintenance?

I have not defragged so I will do that. I do know that I am unable to save it to my hard drive. The drop down menu only allows me to pick the D drive (or E drive on laptop), and I can't change it to computer. Is there another way to do this?

I tried the program on our laptop and I am not having the freezing, although I am having the stuttering that another person described. The sound crackles and goes off and on during taping. might that be an old tape? Or a bad VCR?

Thanks for all your help! I am very happy to have a program like this.

To record to your HDD, start with Record - Edit - Save.

Then it will automatically save in the default location ;)

Memorex is considered by most to be one of the worst media to use. But I don't think it is the problem here and doing the record to the HDD will leave it out of the test.

Does your Audio sound OK as the tape is played to a TV? But the cleanup and recording to HDD should improve that is it is not a tape playback issue...

It is very nice of you to help me! I appreciate it! All the videos I am trying to tape worked fine on any VCR. They also worked well on my TV when the same VCR was hooked up just now. So it seems that the VCR to DVD program is the problem. The preview pane cannot be adjusted for tracking or color, and both those things are issues while taping. I will say that the very first video I used did not have this problem, but all the other videos I have tried to tape have had the problem. What happens is that the color fades in and out, and sometimes only fades in and out on the top portion of the screen. The top portion also looks like it needs tracking, although this is not an issue on a TV. I just can't figure out what is going on. I used a different computer to try it and the same thing happened. So I am at a loss! Any suggestions you have would be very, very welcome!

Just an addend- copying to the HD actually worked! It didn't freeze up and I didn't get as much color change or tracking problems with this video. I will try the rest of them tonight (including the ones that gave me trouble yesterday) and see if copying to a HD makes a difference. :)

No, these are videos I used in my classroom- purchased etc.

Also, I am still getting the change of color tone even copying to the HD, so I think I just have to suck it up on that one. It doesn't look like I can fix that.

Another question- once I burn to HD, is there a way to make a menu like when you burn directly to DVD? I have been toying with it, but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks again!

Edited by Kapu

No, these are videos I used in my classroom- purchased etc.

Also, I am still getting the change of color tone even copying to the HD, so I think I just have to suck it up on that one. It doesn't look like I can fix that.

Those commercial tapes may have copy protection which could be causing your problems. I know I experienced that with some commercial movies I captured.

That's why I asked. Commercial tapes often have "Macrovision" copy protection, which results in the brightness and color changes you see. If it's working properly, the device/software will recognize it and refuse to capture the signal.

Thank you! Makes sense!

Do you know if I am able to make a menu for videos I copy to the HD?

Edited by Kapu

Thank you! Makes sense!

Do you know if I am able to make a menu for videos I copy to the HD?

Yes!

Use the Record - Edit - Save portion again.

'Import' the clip/s you captured.

'Export' to DVD and choose 'Menu' there ;)

No wonder you are the Digital Guru! LOL! Thanks SO much! I love being able to do this. What a great product.