andyandy

When I Add A Menu, Toast Adds Black Bars On The Sides Of My Whole Film!

Question

Hello,

I have a problem. When I make a DVD in toast, with a menu, it makes my film narrower by adding black bars on the left and right (not top and bottom).

If I make the same video with no menu the film is full size (I mean, no black bars on the sides) but it will only make the DVD play automatically on insert and loop continuously.

My goal: I want a DVD that does not play upon insert to the machine, and that does not loop automatically, and does not have black bars on the sides.

I thought that adding a menu would fix the automatic start and looping and it does fix those, but it adds the black bars on the sides.

Any suggestions? I already tried having the boxes for automatic start and play continuously UNchecked, but it does not seem to matter.

Thanks,

Andy

3 answers to this question

Yes, without a menu there is nothing for the DVD player to stop at. I sometimes have heard about the issue of the black bars but never about it being triggered by adding a menu. My guess is your video is something a little different than the standard resolution. What I suggest is to create a new project with a menu but then add the video from the correctly scaled DVD you burned rather than the original source. You can do this by inserting the DVD and choosing DVD within the Video tab of the Toast Media Browser. There you will see the videos that are on the disc which you can drag to the main Toast window. Toast should multiplex rather than encode the new DVD which should resolve the issue.

Thank you,

I will try that. One question- is using a DVD as a source as you suggest going to end up with lower quality in the 'offspring?'

Thanks!

Andy

Thank you,

I will try that. One question- is using a DVD as a source as you suggest going to end up with lower quality in the 'offspring?'

Thanks!

Andy

No further loss of quality because there is no more encoding. Toast should report it is multiplexing after you click the burn button; not encoding.