• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

garsdesem

Pixelated Image - How Can We Improve Image Quality?

Question

I recently digitized VHS tapes and I found that the image is pixelated (big square pixels) a lot (see attached picture). I try to read the video on a PC and I get same results. I don't understand as I did it many times before with better results.

I'm using a iMac 2014 retina 4K. Can it be related to Yosemite?

I posted the video on YouTube as a demo (http://youtu.be/kMLF4lA62a4) but the pixelation is a lot better (the pixel squares are a lot smaller). I don't know how Youtube can improve image quality like this?

If so, I suppose I should find a software to give a treatment to the file but I would prefer by far to find a way to get best results with Easy VHS to DVD.

Edited by garsdesem

7 answers to this question

The example you posted looks right to me. Remember that the captured video is 720 x 480 pixels and only looks correct when viewed at actual size. Your Mac's screen has thousands of pixels so it will look really bad at full screen. Make sure you are viewing at actual size.

Thanks tsantee for your comment. However, I got a lot better results on my old PC using a Hauppauge TV interface card using the modulated signal (i.e. through channel 3 of the integrated tuner). I can't believe I can't do better with my Mac!

I bet the Roxio device is a lot cheaper to buy than the Hauppauge TV. As I recall the latter captured as DV which has a 4:1 compression. The Roxio captures as h.264 in medium quality (recommended) or Apple Intermediate Codec in high quality (not recommended because of audio sync issues). I have one but use higher-priced and better-quality devices when I capture video.

Just to add my 2 cents, what I saw that you may be referring to, was some pixelation during the scenes where there was a lot of motion. I don't know if that would be a hardware or a software issue. It could be either, and may be a limit of the bit rate of the stream, or a limit of the hardware to capture. Not running a Mac, I don't know what options you have, but if there is an option for a higher bit-rate, that may help in those high motion instances.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Are you using the Roxio Video Capture application or the Easy VHS to DVD Capture application? The latter is the app Roxio originally included with the device and captures in MPEG 2 format. If that isn't the one you used you can give it a try by downloading it from Roxio's Software Updates page.

Thanks Tsantee, effectively, I'm using the Easy VHS to DVD Capture application (the software I got with the device) . Do you suggest I try the other application?

Thanks Tsantee, effectively, I'm using the Easy VHS to DVD Capture application (the software I got with the device) . Do you suggest I try the other application?

Oh yes. You have the older app. "Roxio Video Capture" is better but Roxio never made it available to prior owners. I'll discuss this more with you in a private message.