hermie54

Toast Titanium 12.1 Update Has Been Released!

Question

48 answers to this question

Useless.....

Doesn't make any sense

It's a continuous surprise every time when you start this program.

It went downhill....big time.

The program simply does not work. I think this was the last version I ever purchased if it is not made to work within _reasonable_ time.

Christian

Christian, I don't know why it doesn't work for you but does work for me. I'm sure there are things in Toast that don't work, as that has been true with every version since the start. But if it isn't working at all for you then something is probably wrong other than just the Toast application itself.

Way too many coasters now, even a simple data disk won't complete. Sometimes Toast crashes after a few seconds, sometimes in the middle of the burn. When I save as image first and then burn that it goes fine. But I'm more than sick of this. Toast isn't cheap and it should just work as advertised. It doesn't and support or updates are a laugh, so after many years I'm going to try something else. Dragon Burn in my case. Dunno why that one, but if it works OK one thing is sure: byebye Toast.

• Like 1

Whole lotta nuttin' for me right now. OS X 10.10.3 on iMac 27" Retina. Used toast to burn some data DVDs sometime ago. All good. Now, it's not even starting. Opens up, then hangs. Requiring a "force quit".

Lots of errors in system log:

4/30/15 10:41:40.340 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.3 instead of 10.10.3. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 0 CarbonCore 0x9a39f291 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 1 libdispatch.dylib 0x968bd130 _dispatch_client_callout + 50

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 2 libdispatch.dylib 0x968bd0b5 dispatch_once_f + 251

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 3 libdispatch.dylib 0x968be0d8 dispatch_once + 31

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 4 CarbonCore 0x9a31869d _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 5 CarbonCore 0x9a3177c0 Gestalt + 150

4/30/15 10:41:40.346 PM Toast Titanium[89978]: 6 Toast Titanium 0x00072a45 _ZN22CCompressedImageReader15LoadDIFrameworkEv + 57

4/30/15 10:42:03.814 PM diskarbitrationd[71]: Toast Titanium [89978]:66091 not responding.

and

OS Version: 10.10.3 (Build 14D136)

Architecture: x86_64h

Report Version: 21

Command: Toast Titanium

Path: /Applications/Toast 12 Titanium/Toast Titanium.app/Contents/MacOS/Toast Titanium

Version: 12.1 (3580) (12.1)

Parent: launchd [1]

PID: 89978

Event: hang

Duration: 4.50s (process was unresponsive for 102 seconds before sampling)

Steps: 46 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: iMac15,1
  • Like 2

I am running A Mac Mini with 10.10.3. 8 GB Toast has hung on "Verify" numerous times. I am burning to a OWC/ LG BluRay Modisc. Firewire.

Now Toast 12.1 refuses to launch. I was checking to see if there is an upgrade or fix yet.

Just copied a DVD+R disc with 12.1 and it took 3 times as long as coping the same disc with Toast 10, it appears to me that Roxio is going backwards with the latest version.

Just copied a DVD+R disc with 12.1 and it took 3 times as long as coping the same disc with Toast 10, it appears to me that Roxio is going backwards with the latest version.

Slower burning started when Toast was rewritten for version 11.1. It actually is faster now than that version.

I am using a Samsung external drive but Toast 10 is still 3 times quicker than Toast 12.1 so something has gone wrong with the update.

Roxio rewrote Toast with version 11.1 and it resulted in much slower burn speed. That has improved slightly with later updates but still very slow. If you are going to burn a lot of discs either use a version prior to 11.1 or use Toast 12 to save as disc image and burn those using the image file setting in an earlier version.

Just bought Toast 12 with the Blu-ray plug-in, applied the 12.1 update.

I'm trying to create a Blu-ray disc image to start with to avoid burning "coasters". Project has 3 titles/tracks, each were externally encoded as H.264 and AC3 via Apple's Compressor. I went through the custom settings, and selected "never" for re-encoding. Having selected a disc image as the output destination, it sat at the 1% mark for ~2m, then took another ~1m to "multiplex" the first title/track (~1h 23m running time, ~12.5GB of data) and reporting it was now 68% complete. It then moved on to the next one (~26m running time, ~5.5GB of data), and... has spent the last ~30m crawling its way up to 70%. It *seems* to still be doing actual work (Finder isn't reporting it as "not responding", and I occasionally see activity if I stare at the progress bar long enough), but... "what the heck"? o_O I can understand if there's an occasional pause during "multiplexing" while it has to create structures, but would otherwise generally expect the "slow but steady" progress when it was ready to transfer content that's otherwise not going to be re-encoded.

Separately, unrelated to the above but related to Toast 12, when I first started using it, I was able to get both video and audio preview via "Edit"; now it appears to be video only, no audio. Toast is set to use the "system default", which is currently a 19" HDTV connected via HDMI,... and all other audio from the Mac is fine (iTunes, system sound effects, etc.) - it's just Toast that's stopped providing audio output. Additionally, if I try to use the player via "Edit" to locate a frame to use as a "poster frame" via "set picture", it seems that if I start from the beginning, I can pause it and select one. However, if I go too far and try to "scrub" backwards, it then stops playing video at all... unless I drag the pointer all the way back to 0:00:00 and start over.

Just bought Toast 12 with the Blu-ray plug-in, applied the 12.1 update.

I'm trying to create a Blu-ray disc image to start with to avoid burning "coasters". Project has 3 titles/tracks, each were externally encoded as H.264 and AC3 via Apple's Compressor. I went through the custom settings, and selected "never" for re-encoding. Having selected a disc image as the output destination, it sat at the 1% mark for ~2m, then took another ~1m to "multiplex" the first title/track (~1h 23m running time, ~12.5GB of data) and reporting it was now 68% complete. It then moved on to the next one (~26m running time, ~5.5GB of data), and... has spent the last ~30m crawling its way up to 70%. It *seems* to still be doing actual work (Finder isn't reporting it as "not responding", and I occasionally see activity if I stare at the progress bar long enough), but... "what the heck"? o_O I can understand if there's an occasional pause during "multiplexing" while it has to create structures, but would otherwise generally expect the "slow but steady" progress when it was ready to transfer content that's otherwise not going to be re-encoded.

Separately, unrelated to the above but related to Toast 12, when I first started using it, I was able to get both video and audio preview via "Edit"; now it appears to be video only, no audio. Toast is set to use the "system default", which is currently a 19" HDTV connected via HDMI,... and all other audio from the Mac is fine (iTunes, system sound effects, etc.) - it's just Toast that's stopped providing audio output. Additionally, if I try to use the player via "Edit" to locate a frame to use as a "poster frame" via "set picture", it seems that if I start from the beginning, I can pause it and select one. However, if I go too far and try to "scrub" backwards, it then stops playing video at all... unless I drag the pointer all the way back to 0:00:00 and start over.

Istari, I probably shouldn't respond at all because your process is one I have no way of testing. You are the first person in the forum who has mentioned using Compressor to make a Blu-ray compliant h.264 video for use in Toast. Until your post my assumption was the only way to have Toast multiplex rather than encode a Blu-ray video was to create a MPEG 2 version. All h.264 videos got re-encoded by Toast from what I've been told. When Toast multiplexes MPEG 2 for Blu-Ray it does the process twice for each title. Maybe that is what is happening while the progress bar is stalled. The progress bar isn't always correct, either. It is something not to look at too much. My advice is to make sure that Toast is set in the Finder Get Info to "Prevent App Nap" and do something else for a couple hours.

I'm also uncertain why you are no longer getting audio during playback in the Edit window. I don't have my Mac connected to a HDTV so I cannot check this either. The difficulty scrubbing high-definition video is typical for the edit window. It used to just crash and is much improved now. But it does have trouble. You can, by the way, change the poster frame with the slider that appears when you select the thumbnail in the main Toast window, although this is less precise.

I appreciate you sharing your experience in the forum. My sense is that except for the lack of audio output what you are experiencing is the way it is with Toast.

Istari, I probably shouldn't respond at all because your process is one I have no way of testing.

Well, thanks for responding anyway. :)

You are the first person in the forum who has mentioned using Compressor to make a Blu-ray compliant h.264 video for use in Toast.

First! Huzzah! \o/

Until your post my assumption was the only way to have Toast multiplex rather than encode a Blu-ray video was to create a MPEG 2 version.

MPEG-2? For HD content? Seems... unusual. o_O Although, probably not that unusual, considering my project...

All h.264 videos got re-encoded by Toast from what I've been told.

Well, on the main screen under Menu Style, there's a "Customize..." button; clicking on that and going to the "Encoding" tab, under the "Video" section there's an option that reads "Reencoding", which I set to "Never", as I was doing the encoding externally. Even if it was ignoring that setting, I would have expected the same behavior on the first item in the project... unless this is a "bug"... errr... "undocumented feature" that it only works with the first item and not with subsequent items.

When Toast multiplexes MPEG 2 for Blu-Ray it does the process twice for each title. Maybe that is what is happening while the progress bar is stalled.

I would guess/hope not, as neither the encoded files nor the setting under "Customize..." is MPEG-2 (the one under "Customize..." says "MPEG-4 AVC", even though I have "Reencoding" set to "Never" anyway).

The progress bar isn't always correct, either. It is something not to look at too much. My advice is to make sure that Toast is set in the Finder Get Info to "Prevent App Nap" and do something else for a couple hours.

Well, I certainly don't necessarily expect it to be accurate to within fractions of a second, but "some" semblance of "reasonably close" should be a reasonable expectation. I wasn't aware of the "Prevent App Nap" option; have set that - will see if it makes a difference. "For the record", on my latest attempt, having taken ~3-4m to reach 68% and complete the first item, it then took almost the entire past 6 hours to reach 75% - and was still on the second item.

I'm also uncertain why you are no longer getting audio during playback in the Edit window. I don't have my Mac connected to a HDTV so I cannot check this either. The difficulty scrubbing high-definition video is typical for the edit window. It used to just crash and is much improved now. But it does have trouble. You can, by the way, change the poster frame with the slider that appears when you select the thumbnail in the main Toast window, although this is less precise.

Selecting the poster frame from the edit window *does* work, but... it seems to defeat the purpose of having audio preview (especially with the AU filters, although I'm not using any and, although each of the 3 are set to "None" by default, I've also tried manually de-selecting the "Enabled" checkbox on each to ensure that it wouldn't even try - doesn't seem to make a difference). I've also tried going into Toast's Audio preferences, manually selecting "Built-in Output", and unchecking "Show advanced audio mastering settings". Additionally, while trying to use the "AU Filter..." button on the item, it reported all 3 effect numbers as both "Enabled" and "None" by default (seems a bit redundant). If I uncheck them all and then use "Edit..." to try to preview the track and check the "AU Filter" tab, all 3 still show as both "Enabled" and "None".

At this point, I'd have to say there are definitely some serious issues with Toast 12.1 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 if the interface isn't even consistent.

I appreciate you sharing your experience in the forum. My sense is that except for the lack of audio output what you are experiencing is the way it is with Toast.

Thanks; I appreciate your taking the time to reply. I haven't used Toast in "ages" and, while it didn't have anywhere near these features back then (Toast 6 maybe?), I also don't recall the product having anywhere near so many issues. Hopefully a dev or support tech will actually read these, investigate the issues, and there'll be an update "Soon™".

I'm going to try a complete shutdown and reboot, log in with startup items disabled, make sure Toast is the only app running, let it go overnight, and see how far it gets. I would hate to have to go back to FCP, re-export the track with the "self-contained" option, and let Toast do all the encoding, but... if I can get a "workaround", that'll let me at least continue to make progress while waiting on a "solution".

Excellent information Istari. You might do a test with Compressor making a HD MPEG 2 video for use in Toast to see how that looks and works. The never re-encode setting does work with those whereas it is typically ignored with mpeg-4 sources. The audio units don't apply because Toast does nothing to ac3 streams. What you are experiencing seems more extreme than what I would expect, even knowing most of Toast's shortcomings.

Roxio no longer exists as an entity. I'm not sure how Corel is keeping up with Toast. Probably contractors rather than in-house. They have issued updates this year to resolve unspecified issues with the current Mac OS. One thing hasn't changed, neither Corel or Roxio report what are known issues or what issues any update fixes (or attempts to fix). We are always in total darkness, depending on this forum to try to spread a little light.

• Like 1

Well, I can add the following. Left it running overnight, and it was at 85% when I got up this morning (so again, ~1% per hour). Out of curiosity, I checked Activity Monitor, and found that it had read ~16GB+, but only written ~128KB... which led me to think that it was not yet at a point of writing anything (other than structures), and was still analyzing/evaluating content... but for 8-10 hours? o_O

Given how I have my system set up and resources arranged, and since the above appeared to indicate it was getting hung up or otherwise "crawling" while reading, I thought I'd re-encode the lot and write everything out to a separate device - and use ONLY that device. Did that and... same behavior.

Also out of curiosity while this latest instance was running, I thought I'd check the Console for messages (error or otherwise). What I found was... interesting; but neither enlightening nor encouraging - with (de)emphasis on the latter.

06-13-2015 1:16:55.152 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.3 instead of 10.10.3. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Call location:
06-13-2015 1:16:55.256 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 0 CarbonCore 0x9ab6d291 ___Gestalt_SystemVersion_block_invoke + 135
06-13-2015 1:16:55.256 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 1 libdispatch.dylib 0x929b0130 _dispatch_client_callout + 50
06-13-2015 1:16:55.256 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 2 libdispatch.dylib 0x929b00b5 dispatch_once_f + 251
06-13-2015 1:16:55.256 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 3 libdispatch.dylib 0x929b10d8 dispatch_once + 31
06-13-2015 1:16:55.256 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 4 CarbonCore 0x9aae669d _Gestalt_SystemVersion + 1050
06-13-2015 1:16:55.256 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 5 CarbonCore 0x9aae57c0 Gestalt + 150
06-13-2015 1:16:55.257 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: 6 Toast Titanium 0x00072a45 _ZN22CCompressedImageReader15LoadDIFrameworkEv + 57
06-13-2015 1:17:49.287 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: CGContextSaveGState: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.
06-13-2015 1:17:49.472 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: CGContextSetCompositeOperation: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.
06-13-2015 1:17:49.477 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: CGContextFillRects: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.
06-13-2015 1:17:49.481 PM Toast Titanium[1206]: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0. This is a serious error. This application, or a library it uses, is using an invalid context and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system stability and reliability. This notice is a courtesy: please fix this problem. It will become a fatal error in an upcoming update.
06-13-2015 1:22:56.000 PM kernel[0]: process Toast Titanium[1206] thread 90940 caught burning CPU! It used more than 50% CPU (Actual recent usage: 94%) over 180 seconds. thread lifetime cpu usage 90.126651 seconds, (87.634867 user, 2.491784 system) ledger info: balance: 90005235721 credit: 90005235721 debit: 0 limit: 90000000000 (50%) period: 180000000000 time since last refill (ns): 95698446512
06-13-2015 1:31:44.000 PM kernel[0]: process Toast Titanium[1206] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 153; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 128200
Given what you mentioned re: Roxio vs. Corel, I think I've spent as much time on this particular effort as I'm willing to give it (more so, actually). Consequently, I think I'm going to abandon Toast until the next patch/update and see if that actually fixes anything.
In a way, it's too bad, as it looked like it might be useful for "simple" projects that I wanted to create both Blu-ray and DVD discs for; i.e. it appeared as if I could set up a Blu-ray project, save it, duplicate it, then change the settings to produce a DVD, and let Toast do all the encoding for both. However, I'm more interested in being able to create Blu-ray discs from externally encoded sources, so... looks like it's time to play "The Waiting Game™".

So sorry it isn't working. My only possible suggestions are to trash Toast and its plist and prefs files. Then reinstall from the Toast 12 update on Roxio's Software Updates page. Also try the HD MPEG 2 from Compressor rather than h.264.

Aye, tried to trash the Toast files from ~/Library/Preferences; had to reboot in order to empty the trash, as one of them was still in use, even though the application wasn't running (highly unusual)... no change in behavior afterwards. Also tried to reinstall as you mentioned and... no change in behavior.

The only "upside" seems to be that, after attempting to use MPEG-2 vs H.264,... it "appears"* to produce usable results. With MPEG-2 content and reencoding set to "Never", it takes ~4-5m to go through multiplexing... and then appears to repeat that step a second time (if it's "supposed to do that", it would be helpful if the status window showed "pass 1", "pass 2", etc.). After that, it spends a couple of minutes in "rainbow frisbee" mode (i.e. showing app is busy, but not updating the status window at all, which is misleading and gives the impression that the app has stopped responding), before finally showing that it's "filling the RAM cache", and then moves on to "writing", which... having set it to write a disc image, appears to take unusually long for the ~18.8GB file it creates (close to an hour).

* in the sense that it creates a disc image file and Roxio Video Player can read/play it, although player performance is... inconsistent at best

I haven't yet tried to burn a BD-R from the disc image file - that'll be next; after which, I'll need to check the disc in an actual Blu-ray player (in this case a PS3).

I'm not sure it would be fair to say "worst app ever", but I'm having a hard time trying to think of an app I've had a worse experience with (and that's going back to apps on a Mac SE with System 5.0). Given the current "outstanding issues", it appears... "irresponsible" ...for Corel/Roxio to have released 12 at all in this state; it seems to have suffered from a typical management/corporate officer directive of "get it out the door now, fix it later".

I'm not sure it would be fair to say "worst app ever", but I'm having a hard time trying to think of an app I've had a worse experience with (and that's going back to apps on a Mac SE with System 5.0). Given the current "outstanding issues", it appears... "irresponsible" ...for Corel/Roxio to have released 12 at all in this state; it seems to have suffered from a typical management/corporate officer directive of "get it out the door now, fix it later".

Nice summary. Unsure about the "fix it later" part, though. I've been the major (sometimes only) contributor to this forum for several years and have witnessed some amazing missteps in the development and release of various versions of Toast. Given the history I know, I'm impressed it works this well. What's needed, though, is something totally new rather than patching and adding on new features.

Yes, the repeat multiplexing and long dead time is normal when preparing a Blu-ray video from a HD MPEG 2 file. You also may experience a crash at the end of writing the Blu-ray disc from a disc image. The disc plays fine, even so.

Nice summary. Unsure about the "fix it later" part, though. I've been the major (sometimes only) contributor to this forum for several years and have witnessed some amazing missteps in the development and release of various versions of Toast. Given the history I know, I'm impressed it works this well. What's needed, though, is something totally new rather than patching and adding on new features.

Yes, the repeat multiplexing and long dead time is normal when preparing a Blu-ray video from a HD MPEG 2 file. You also may experience a crash at the end of writing the Blu-ray disc from a disc image. The disc plays fine, even so.

Unsure that they'll actually "fix it later"? ;) Not being anywhere near as familiar with the history, the UI itself seems completely different from what I last saw (Toast 6?),... which may also be because that version couldn't actually produce video discs at the time (don't recall). In any case, I don't mind the UI itself, but a) they need to fix these issues immediately (the product shouldn't have been released in this state), and B) would be nice to be able to set up multiple custom chapter/index menus similar to iDVD.

The question I'm asking myself now is what BluRay burning alternatives are there?

The only other one I'm using myself at the moment is Compressor, which isn't much of an alternative, as it appears Compressor can only create single track discs; i.e. you put everything you want into a single file/stream/track with (or without) chapter marks, and tell it to "Create Blu-ray disc" as the "job action".

I've seen others in the OS X App Store, but had tried Toast first having used it in the past. Now I'm wondering if I've wasted my money on it...

Update to 12.1 crashes!! My advice is to stick with 12.0.1.

Strange. When does it crash? I've had Toast crash after completing a disc burn.

Running Sierra w/toast T12 and updated 12.1 It crashed in El Capitan and now in Sierra, wont boot up-ie click create video click finish then Bang and the crash page shows up tried restart Mac (32 ram) and no go on Toast