• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 110 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

MacGoddess

Converting Video Files To Dvd No Good

Question

I have a new Mac Pro and decided to convert some video to check how fast it could do it. I used Toast 12.1, running Yosemite 10.10.2. I first converted about 9GB MKV to DVD. I was pleased at the speed (an hour and 15 minutes) but the DVD didn't play sound at all. It shows that there is supposed to be 5.1 surround sound, both in Toast and when I put the DVD into 2 different players, the sound shows under Audio, but sound will not play with software on my Mac or on a Blu-ray or DVD player I used.

Today, I converted an mp4 video that has stereo sound to DVD using Toast again. The result was that I got sound to play, but the video was jerky.

Right now, this type of conversion is not a big deal to me. I only did it to test my new Mac Pro's speed. However, I think it would be nice if Toast could do a better job at converting video if they have the features included.

5 answers to this question

This is a question for all of you TT12 Gurus out there. As a long time Toast user I have had nothing but great results until I upgraded to OS X 10.10.1 and later .2. When I did that my Toast Titanium 12 stopped putting audio on the DVDs that I was creating. Also, the menus’ I'd create are ignored and the first video file launches. (Works the same either on the MBP or two different DVD Players.)

I have changed nothing in my TT12 version 12.1 which has been working just fine creating DVDs from video files of all the usual formats. On-line searching and suggested hacks proved futile.

My specs:

MBP 8.1, (Late2011), 16GB memory

Toast Titanium 12 Pro version 12.

Mac OS X 10.10.2

Thank you all for your time and help.

Edited by Timeraider

This is a question for all of you TT12 Gurus out there. As a long time Toast user I have had nothing but great results until I upgraded to OS X 10.10.1 and later .2. When I did that my Toast Titanium 12 stopped putting audio on the DVDs that I was creating. Also, the menus’ I'd create are ignored and the first video file launches. (Works the same either on the MBP or two different DVD Players.)

I have changed nothing in my TT12 version 12.1 which has been working just fine creating DVDs from video files of all the usual formats. On-line searching and suggested hacks proved futile.

My specs:

MBP 8.1, (Late2011), 16GB memory

Toast Titanium 12 Pro version 12.

Mac OS X 10.10.2

Thank you all for your time and help.

I don't know why that would happen. Have you trashed the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunched Toast? Those get corrupted easily.

I don't know why that would happen. Have you trashed the Toast plist and prefs files in your User>Library>Preferences folder and relaunched Toast? Those get corrupted easily.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my request for help.

Yes, I deleted the Toast plist and prefs files twice. Once, after installing OS X 10.10.1 and then again after upgrading to 10.10.2. I have Googled scoured the web, the Mac forums and Roxio forum for any sane and silly hacks. I have seen a few posts elsewhere where this problem has cropped up. Unfortunatly those few posts have gone unanswered.

About the only thing I haven't done is uninstall and reinstall TT12. But before I would do that I would downgrade back to Maverick 10.9 . . . after giving Apple and/or Roxio sometime to produce an update/patch.

Today, I converted an mp4 video that has stereo sound to DVD using Toast again. The result was that I got sound to play, but the video was jerky.

For the past couple hours I've been fighting this issue.

I created a DVD-video from an 2.9 GB mkv file and it's always jerky when it plays. The original file plays fine in Quicktime and VLC.

First I saved it as an image.

Then I burned it to a single layer DVD and played it in a DVD player and also with the built-in DVD Player app.

When I tried to drag the file into the Convert window, Toast crashed for the 2nd time.

Now it says "The last time you opened Toast Titanium, it unexpectedly quit while reopening windows. Do you want to try to reopen its windows again?"

I select Don't Reopen and it quits anyway.

I removed the Saved Application State folder and it still wouldn't stay open.

I reinstalled Toast over the old install but opens then immediately quits.

So I completely uninstalled Toast, then reinstalled it and the update and started from scratch.

It worked this time but after conversion it's still jerky!

Would be nice if there were some tooltips to explain some of the many formats available since I wasn't sure which to choose because I rarely convert or burn anything (I went with MPEG-4 since my roommates DVD player is old and doesn't do HD). The user guide isn't much help either - it should have a description for every option available in the app.

I converted the mkv to mp4 using Wondershare DVD Creator and it plays fine, but is still jerky after Toast does anything with it.

I'd use Wondershare DVD Creator to burn to disc but the stupid app says there's not enough space on a DVD to burn the 2.6 GB file! :wacko:

It'll only burn the 2.6 GB file to DVD in standard mode (204 MB left), but I don't want to burn my 720p file to standard mode.