Sign in to follow this  
drewmiller

Toast Cd Not Allowing Burning Due To Drop In Available Mb

Question

:huh: Have been having problems with burning my albums to CD.

Bought a Toast 10 pack to re-boot the system (Mac OSX 10.4.11), and again continued to be able to burn DVD's and most other items, however.......when trying to burn a CD or even copy a CD, the memory drops from about 703mb to about 94mb.

The message comes up that there is unsufficient space left to burn the tracks, and there seems no way around this.

I even uninstalled the Toast 10 and re-started the Mac, installing Toast again for a clean install.

Again, the CD memory shows the max amount, but as soon as I continue to the burn process, up comes that window to state that there was insufficient memory available.

Not a computer geek by any means, and am a loss to resolve this problem....

HELP

7 answers to this question

Is what you are describing as memory the available space on the disc? If so, go to your user>Library>Preferences folder and trash the Toast plist and prefs files. Those get corrupted sometimes and cause Toast to misjudge the actual space available on a disc.

Thanks tsantee.....

tried to do what you suggested......

dumped Toast preferences, re-started Mac, completed new install directions.....initially showed over 700mb available for CD.

No sooner had I started the process and the system read the blank CD, then....up again came that message that there was insufficient

space available.

When cancelling actions, and dumping tracks, CD memory available back down to 98mb, so not able to burn tracks

drew miller.

Does it say "Disk" or "Disc" in the message? if Disk then it is referring to the hard drive; probably where the one where the Roxio Converted Items folder is located. If disc then it is the CD disc. What you're experiencing is very strange. How many minutes of music are you trying to burn? I believe the maximum is 78 minutes on an audio CD; maybe a little less.

Thanks again tsantee......

The small notice spells 'disc' and again even unistalling and re-installation after dumping 'prefs' is failing to reset the memory of the CD section, and again, the DVD sections all work prefectly.

My CD blanks are allowing a max of 750mb but even dropping tracks to just 100mb, I still get this message refusing burning.

I am at a loss, and wonder if there is some type of Toast memory lodged somewhere else within the Mac that is being triggered to stop CD burning.

Sorry to be such a moan.....but I simply cannot escape this problem, as yet...

drew miller

Thanks again tsantee......

The small notice spells 'disc' and again even unistalling and re-installation after dumping 'prefs' is failing to reset the memory of the CD section, and again, the DVD sections all work prefectly.

My CD blanks are allowing a max of 750mb but even dropping tracks to just 100mb, I still get this message refusing burning.

I am at a loss, and wonder if there is some type of Toast memory lodged somewhere else within the Mac that is being triggered to stop CD burning.

Sorry to be such a moan.....but I simply cannot escape this problem, as yet...

drew miller

If you are making an audio CD then the MB is irrelevant. What matters is how many minutes of music. There can be a little more than 70 minutes of music on an audio CD. If you are adding mp3 or aac tracks to Toast those are compressed audio files. The ones burned to an audio CD are uncompressed and take up much more space.

Again....thanks for your interest...

MB cannot be irrelevent as this is why I cannot burn a CD, the memory is limited to 98mb, due to this problem, and as much as 700mb should be achievable,

I cannot burn any CD, or even copy one as the MB is curtailing any actions.

Not so with DVD's as the max MB is always achievable...

I may have to abandon Toast in favour of another CD burning programme, as I don't seem to able to bypass this problem.

Again....thanks for your interest...

MB cannot be irrelevent as this is why I cannot burn a CD, the memory is limited to 98mb, due to this problem, and as much as 700mb should be achievable,

I cannot burn any CD, or even copy one as the MB is curtailing any actions.

Not so with DVD's as the max MB is always achievable...

I may have to abandon Toast in favour of another CD burning programme, as I don't seem to able to bypass this problem.

You haven't said how many minutes of music you are wanting to put on the audio CD. Uncompressed AIFF audio files take up all the space of a 700 MB audio CD at about 70 minutes of music. You could go to Toast's convert window and convert the audio tracks to AIFF and then drag those into the Audio CD window. In that case the MB of the audio files would be accurate for the space available on the disc. But you don't need to if you keep the total minutes to about 70 minutes maximum per disc.

If you are running into this problem with less than 70 minutes of music then something else is wrong.