Question

Hello all. I'm afraid I already know the answer to my question, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

I've been recording video game footage with Videowave, while recording live commentary in Audacity. When I'm finished, I pop the separate video and audio files into Videowave and in the preview, everything runs smoothly. When I render the video (just north of 30 minutes), the audio gets out of sync by 30 seconds or a minute. I'm rendering the production to output a SmartAVC file, although if a do a lesser quality output file, the video is fine, if not less easy on the eyes.

This seems to be a common complaint, with some positing that just goes with the territory of video editing software. My question is this: is my PC not powerful enough? I'm using a laptop running 64-bit Windows 8.1 with 6GB of RAM, and a 2.4GHz processor. Is this just not enough to render lengthier productions? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Since the rendering doesn't have to occur in real-time, processor power really isn't the issue here. A slower processor will simply run the code slower, taking more time to render. A faster processor will run the same code faster, both resulting in the same output.

The question(s) I would ask are this, what sample rate are you using with Audacity to capture your voice over? 44.1Khz? 48Khz? And does your audio lag or get ahead of the video by 30 seconds?

If the option is available, try changing the sample rate to 48KHz in Audacity, and see if that makes any difference when you render it. I would think you could do a 3 or 4 minute capture and determine if it was helping, since based on your original post, the audio is lagging by about 1 second per minute.