• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Nave

Mark Nave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

:) I recorded a audio project on 2 cd rw disks.  The first disk had mp3 files, the second disk had wma files.  Then after recording, I went to play them in my car and it wouldn't play and would eject the cd from the player.  Both of these cd's will play on my computer but not in car, can any one suggest how I can get it them to play, or what I need to do to have them play in my car?
Thank you,
Mark

#2 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:19 AM

It sounds like what you have done is create two data discs - on with .mp3 files (not the same as an .mp3 disc) and one with .wma files.

So point number one, you need to create audio CDs via Classic Creator.

Point number two - CD-RW has less reflectivity than CD-R, which has less reflectivity than a commercially pressed CD.  Some car players can't play Audio CD-Rs created with Classic Creator, let along CD-RWs.

I'd suggest erasing the CD-RWs and setting them aside for testing purposes or other short-term usage (because they fade to blank rather quickly, it has to do with the burning layer), and try using CD-Rs to make Audio discs.

Lynn

#3 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

I'd say Lynn's on the right track.MOST car cd players won't play R/W discs.Do like she says and use -R's and redo your project as audio cd's and try them.
Does your car player even play mp3's or wma's?If not then you need an Audio cd.You'll know you have one if you look at it in explorer and have .cda files on it.
"Mild-mannered Supermen
Are held in kryptonite
And the wise and foolish virgins giggle
With there bodies glowing bright
And through the door a harvest feast
Is lit by candle light
It's the bottom of a staircase
That spirals out of sight"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard
Galaxy  GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card with 1Gb memory
8Gb G Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600 RAM
120GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD drive
1Tb Hitachi SATA hard drive
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive
Lite-On iHAS224-06 SATA DVD drive
Rosewill Destroyer case
Cambridge Soundworks THX 5.1 speaker system
Onboard Realtek HD audio
I-inc iH-252HPB 25" widescreen monitor connected via HDMI
Samsung 2525W Laser Printer

#4 Mark Nave

Mark Nave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

View Posttbrewst, on Oct 15 2006, 09:50 AM, said:

I'd say Lynn's on the right track.MOST car cd players won't play R/W discs.Do like she says and use -R's and redo your project as audio cd's and try them.
Does your car player even play mp3's or wma's?If not then you need an Audio cd.You'll know you have one if you look at it in explorer and have .cda files on it.
Should I save the songs into a .cda file?  I converted the mp3 files to wma files, should I convert them to .cda?  Let me know?
Thank you

#5 lynn98109

lynn98109

Digital Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

View PostMark Nave, on Oct 15 2006, 11:35 AM, said:

Should I save the songs into a .cda file?  I converted the mp3 files to wma files, should I convert them to .cda?  Let me know?
Thank you
Open Classic Creator.  Choose to make an Audio CD.  Drag the files you want to be on the disc into the layout (it is time-based, not space based; you are limited to about 80 minutes).  It will create the type of files and directory that will be recognized by Audio CD players (such as the one in your car) as an Audio CD.

The best way to save files is in .wav format, since that is CD standard.  While .mp3's can be made with more info, generally they are chosen as a way to compress the information.  That means, deleting some of the information.  There have been some posts by people who say it sounds wierd, which means that they can notice how much information was lost.

If the original .mp3s were made from CDs you own, you might better off to re-make the files in .wav format.  After you make the new CD-R, you can delete them.

BTW - .cda isn't actually a file format, it is simply a way to trick the computer into treating the files as if they were in a format.  Otherwise, you wouldn't see them on the computer.

Lynn

#6 Mark Nave

Mark Nave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

View Postlynn98109, on Oct 15 2006, 11:26 AM, said:

Open Classic Creator.  Choose to make an Audio CD.  Drag the files you want to be on the disc into the layout (it is time-based, not space based; you are limited to about 80 minutes).  It will create the type of files and directory that will be recognized by Audio CD players (such as the one in your car) as an Audio CD.

The best way to save files is in .wav format, since that is CD standard.  While .mp3's can be made with more info, generally they are chosen as a way to compress the information.  That means, deleting some of the information.  There have been some posts by people who say it sounds wierd, which means that they can notice how much information was lost.

If the original .mp3s were made from CDs you own, you might better off to re-make the files in .wav format.  After you make the new CD-R, you can delete them.

BTW - .cda isn't actually a file format, it is simply a way to trick the computer into treating the files as if they were in a format.  Otherwise, you wouldn't see them on the computer.

Lynn
Thank you Lynn, I'm going to buy some CD-R's and save to a wav file and try it.  I am trying to do this for my daughters so they can have some kids music while we are in the car.

#7 tbrewst

tbrewst

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

You can't save files as .cda.This is an Audio cd standard that if you look at the disc with explorer you'll see the files are just 1Kb in size.What they are is basically pointers to the actual .wav files on the disc.But, they are what a cd player is looking for.
Unless your car cd player can play mp3 files then you need to do as Lynn suggests and make an Audio cd using either the existing mp3's or re-ripping the tracks from other cd's.

Maybe this will explain it better:

.CDA Files
  .CDA files are not, strictly speaking, files at all. Taken more accurately they resemble Microsoft's shortcut files in that they point to information rather than containing it themselves. In the case of a shortcut, this means a pointer to a file somewhere on your computer, a .CDA file serves the same purpose for an audio CD and simply points to the track and sector on a disc where a song begins.

When you browse an audio CD using Windows, you'll notice that it appears to contain a directory of .CDA files and double-clicking on any given file will play the relevant track. Copy the file to your hard disc and then remove the CD, however, and it's a different story. At best, the player will report that the relevant CD is not present; at worst it will play from the same point on whatever CD happens to be in the drive at the time.

Edited by tbrewst, 15 October 2006 - 01:11 PM.

"Mild-mannered Supermen
Are held in kryptonite
And the wise and foolish virgins giggle
With there bodies glowing bright
And through the door a harvest feast
Is lit by candle light
It's the bottom of a staircase
That spirals out of sight"

Terry

64 bitWindows 8.1 OS
AMD FX-8320 8 core 3.5Ghz processor with Arctic Freezer 64 Pro cooling fan
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 AM3+ motherboard