• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CPPoe

CPPoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

I am attempting to copy large folders using disc spanning onto BD media. Sometimes the program allows the correct drive to be shown, sometimes it defaults to another drive, and will not allow me to correct it without canceling the copy operation. I have DVD drives in D: and E: and a BD drive if F:. The disc spanning operation begins in F:, and burns a disc, somtimes it comes back after a disc and will only allow access to D: (which is unusable for this operation) as the default drive for the next disc. I was able to correctly burn a 6 disc set last night, but have had two of these errors so far while trying to burn a 10 disc set. I have had to delete files from the folder, and have it restart as disc '1' with the next set of data.

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

One has to wonder if this information is 'important' to you, why would you use a high risk method of burning like disc spanning???

Which specific application are you using, Roxio is a Suite of 30+ programs.

#3 CPPoe

CPPoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

I am completely new to this type of backup, and was unaware it is a high risk method. I am using Creator NXT3, which I just purchased for this purpose. At the moment, I am archiving photo libraries, some of which are in excess of 250GB, containing multiple internal folders. The first ~TB of photos I backed up were with folders I could easily combine onto 25GB discs, but the larger folders were proving quite time consuming trying to break them into suitable chunks for individual disc groupings.

#4 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:03 AM

Top Quality USB connected 1T portable hard drives are around $60 (US) and are pretty secure. For example: You might want to consider one of those.

I don't like putting all my Easter eggs into one basket but there are 2T and 3T hard drives for a little more just over $100.

Edited by sknis, 03 April 2015 - 04:08 AM.

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

#5 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:06 AM

"Backup" consists of 2 different methods.

One is to COPY the files to another location (as you are doing) but you did not tell us WHICH application in the Suite you are using :huh: Guessing Burn Data Disc?

The other is a Backup Program that may or may not allow disc spanning and will 'compress' your files.

The Copy method is very handy since you can read and copy the material back in at will. A Backup program requires you to use the software to find and restore the material. MS has always had one included in the OS but they were never compatible between OS versions :wacko:

For stuff that is irreplaceable I like to use multiple methods and multiple media. A combination of of Optical Media as well as Magnetic Media and both Backup files as well as Copies...

For copies that don't fit I work them by either throwing ALL into a Burn Data Disc project and then start removing Folders until it fits my Media or the opposite - Add Folders until it reaches or exceeds disc capacity. (Under Options you can turn off disc spanning)

You can also use Windows Explorer to estimate how much will fit a disc by checking on the Status are you select folders. An easy way to avoid trying to STUFF each disc. They are cheap and you have no need to to perfectly fill them ;)

The suggestion by Steve is sound but if the material is irreplaceable, use more than one method and place!

#6 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

and if there is nothing extremely private in those photographs, there is always the possibility of paying for on-line storage. You can get unlimited automatic back up on-line storage for around $100 per year. - for example (not a recommendation for that particular company).

Note, I backup both to external drives and to the cloud. I don;t keep any personal information on my cloud back up. (Two methods as Jim suggests).

PC  Desktop -CPU Solutions (Wisconsin): Windows 1064 bit,  I7 -4790k, 16G memory, MSI GeForce N-760 Video Card, 500G SSD, Creator NXT 2Pro

Laptop - Windows 8.1  Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4. I-7 third generation @2.4, 8G RAM, 500G SSD, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di,

Laptop - Windows 10

Dell 13 inch convertible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users