Qwazyd0gg

No Audio And/or Terrible Audio Passthrough

Question

Hi there,

I am having an EXTREMELY hard time with my new Roxio Game Capture HD Pro. Let me 1st tell you a little bit about my setup. I have a 65" LG 3D TV (Not relevant) and a 7.2 surround sound setup run from an ONKYO NR-470. My issue is I tried running my PS4 to my amplifier, and tried to tie in the Roxio from the HDMI out to the tv. I get perfect video; however, 0 audio. I then tried placing the Roxio between the AMP and PS4, meaning now the cable runs from my PS4, to the Roxio, then from the Roxio to the amp. I am able to get the sound to my PC this way; however, the Roxio is downgrading all sound via the HDMI out as 2.0 channel sound, which is not acceptable from a 5.1/7.2 audio source.

My questions are a mix bag but I will try to explain them.

Can the Roxio HD Pro output more than 2.0 channel audio via the HDMI out port?

Why can the Roxio only collect audio from the PS4 directly and not through an amp? (Tried amp output in PCM and Bit Stream to insure it was not an audio trans-coding issue)

My TV accepts audio via the HDMI out port on the amp so I know it is no fault of the audio equipment.

I was very exciting to receive this product in the mail and now I am extremely disappointed. What is worse is the authorized reseller I purchased this from went out of business last Saturday morning so I cannot return it for the same product or one from the competitor (Futureshop).

I have already invested so much money in an extra monitors, a condenser microphone, and a good set of headphones so my daughter and I can start a youtube channel together. I hope you can help.

5 answers to this question

The first thing I would ask you to do is to verify that your Onkyo does indeed pass audio through to the TV. With your PS4 connected to your amp, and the HDMI from the amp going directly to the TV, turn the volume down on the amplifier. Turn the volume up on the TV and verify that you do have sound. I know my Sony system does not pass audio through the HDMI cable to my TV. If you don't get sound on your TV, then we know why you don't get sound from the Game Capture device.

In either case, I think the solution is to get an HDMI splitter which will accept the signal from your PS4, and allow you to send a separate signal on to your amp/TV, and the Roxio Game Capture device. That should fix the problem with the conversion from 5.1 to 2.0 audio as well.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advise. After investigating my amplifier, it does not support passthrough. I can either choose to run my theater speakers or passthrough, but not both. It seems that MANY users of any brand of capture card are using splitters to bypass this exact situation. So worried about the quality of the ones on Ebay; however, I found one on amazon.ca that a lot of users have great success with (http://www.amazon.ca/Orei-HD-102-Powered-Splitter-Certified/dp/B005HXFARS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428020039&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+1x2). Anyone else have any suggestions of HDMI 1x2 splitters? Thank you so much for your quick response as well, it was much appreciated.

I'm glad that provided an answer. I'm not using a splitter, so I don't have a good suggestion for you. But, as you suggested, I often rely on the reviews to help with my purchasing decision.

I just purchased an HDMI 1x2 switch, which unfortunately did not solve the issue as it downscaled the audio to the lowest of the 2 devices plugged into it... However, using the splitter does bypass the HDCP on the PS4 and PS3 which is kind of a bonus. It is the Orei HD102 if anyone needs one :)

What happens if you use your splitter, but don't plug one side into the RGC HD Pro? Do you then get the audio you're expecting out of your system? And if, while it's already running, you then plug in the RGC HD Pro device to the other output, does it then reduce the audio?

I wouldn't have thought the output device, particularly the splitter, would be negotiating, or even having the "smarts" to change the signal going through it. That would take some processing power.