cymro

Can Not Delete Rw Disk

Question

When I try and delete rw disk on windows 8.1. windows says that it unable to complete format. I installed my creator nxt 2 today. Kind regards Patrick

11 answers to this question

RW discs have a quite limited lifetime, especially if you format them regularly instead of erasing them only when necessary.

If Windows 8 can't complete a format your RW disc may have reached the end of its service life and need replacing.

Regards,

Brendon

For the hell of it I would download the free ImgBurn software listed in my signature.

Be carefully and slowly read and uncheck any bundled browser or tool bar it comes with!

Try ImgBurns erase full disc and see if it does the job?

post-97-0-26871100-1428441197_thumb.jpg

Brendon. it's a brand new RW disk. I just copied a small video on it, with the aim to see if could delete It.

Brendon. it's a brand new RW disk. I just copied a small video on it, with the aim to see if could delete It.

Thanks. Are you trying to erase it or format it? [there's quite a difference]

Any error message other than what you posted?

Regards,

Brendon

Hi Brendon, I just want to delete it. I want to practice doing different things, without using new disks every time. When I hit format, it says it will clear the disk, but then windows won't allow it. There is no error message. I have a Dell laptop with windows 8.1. Regards Cymro. PS. do you find it hard typing on this message board ?

It looks like you're telling Windows to format the disc. I think you should be telling it to erase the thing. Look for an "Erase" button, right-click, or prompt, and try that.

To explain very briefly, there are two main ways to write to an optical disc.

In the standard one you Master or Author the disc, by writing a "session" to the disc. You can write a session and then close the disc, or if there is enough room you can keep adding sessions until the disc is full. If the disc is re-writeable [RW] doing an erase makes the disc blank again. This method of writing discs is used by Creator and most other writing software.

In the second one, you format the disc, and use a method called "packet-writing" to write individual files or bunches of them to disc. With a re-writeable disc individual files can be erased and the space re-used. This system was abandoned by most software companies, but has been brought back by Microsoft as their "Live File" system. The formatting reduces the useable space on the disc, cutting a 700MB CD down to 567MB useable, for example.

This board's performance depends a lot on your browser. It works okay with my Firefox, but is abominable with earlier versions of Internet Explorer. Perhaps it's a good thing that Microsoft is dumping Internet Explorer.

Regards,

Brendon

I've copied what you have said and I will have a potch with it and get back to you. Brandon, I'm very much obliged for your help. Regards Cymro.

Brandon I've tried what you suggested. to the best of my ability. I can't find erase. I tried it on my old dell computer xp. ant It has an old version of Roxio

I found erase on it but it still didn't do the job. Thanks very much for your help. I won't waste anymore of your time. Many thanks. Kind regards. Cymro

Cymro,

Time's not wasted if we're both trying to do and learn things. :)

If neither your new machine nor your old XP machine can properly clear the disc, then I suspect the disc itself might be at fault.

They tell us there is always a small percentage of these things that are DOA [dead on arrival] and that disc might be one of them.

Regards,

Brendon