11 replies to this topic

#1 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

When I try and delete rw disk on windows 8.1. windows says that it unable to complete format. I installed my creator nxt 2 today. Kind regards Patrick

#2 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

RW discs have a quite limited lifetime, especially if you format them regularly instead of erasing them only when necessary.

If Windows 8 can't complete a format your RW disc may have reached the end of its service life and need replacing.

Regards,
Brendon

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

#3 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,963 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

For the hell of it I would download the free ImgBurn software listed in my signature.

Be carefully and slowly read and uncheck any bundled browser or tool bar it comes with!

Try ImgBurns erase full disc and see if it does the job?

Attached File  ed.jpg   197.33KB   0 downloads

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#4 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

Brendon. it's a brand new RW disk. I just copied a small video on it, with the aim to see if could delete It.

#5 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

Cdanteek. That's far to complicated for me. :)

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

Brendon. it's a brand new RW disk. I just copied a small video on it, with the aim to see if could delete It.

Thanks. Are you trying to erase it or format it? [there's quite a difference]
Any error message other than what you posted?

Regards,
Brendon

#7 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:50 AM

Hi Brendon, I just want to delete it. I want to practice doing different things, without using new disks every time. When I hit format, it says it will clear the disk, but then windows won't allow it. There is no error message. I have a Dell laptop with windows 8.1. Regards Cymro. PS. do you find it hard typing on this message board ?

#8 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 02:52 AM

It looks like you're telling Windows to format the disc. I think you should be telling it to erase the thing. Look for an "Erase" button, right-click, or prompt, and try that.

To explain very briefly, there are two main ways to write to an optical disc.
In the standard one you Master or Author the disc, by writing a "session" to the disc. You can write a session and then close the disc, or if there is enough room you can keep adding sessions until the disc is full. If the disc is re-writeable [RW] doing an erase makes the disc blank again. This method of writing discs is used by Creator and most other writing software.

In the second one, you format the disc, and use a method called "packet-writing" to write individual files or bunches of them to disc. With a re-writeable disc individual files can be erased and the space re-used. This system was abandoned by most software companies, but has been brought back by Microsoft as their "Live File" system. The formatting reduces the useable space on the disc, cutting a 700MB CD down to 567MB useable, for example.

This board's performance depends a lot on your browser. It works okay with my Firefox, but is abominable with earlier versions of Internet Explorer. Perhaps it's a good thing that Microsoft is dumping Internet Explorer.

Regards,
Brendon

#9 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:08 AM

I've copied what you have said and I will have a potch with it and get back to you. Brandon, I'm very much obliged for your help. Regards Cymro.

#10 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

Brandon I've tried what you suggested. to the best of my ability. I can't find erase. I tried it on my old dell computer xp. ant It has an old version of Roxio

#11 cymro

cymro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 11:40 PM

I found erase on it but it still didn't do the job. Thanks very much for your help. I won't waste anymore of your time. Many thanks. Kind regards. Cymro

#12 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,086 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

Cymro,

Time's not wasted if we're both trying to do and learn things. :)

If neither your new machine nor your old XP machine can properly clear the disc, then I suspect the disc itself might be at fault.
They tell us there is always a small percentage of these things that are DOA [dead on arrival] and that disc might be one of them.

Regards,
Brendon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users