richcamp

Bluray Data Backup Recovery Issues

Question

In 2011 I used a previous toast version to back up terabytes of data, all important projects and video files. However, I recently bought a drive to restore these bluray data discs too and the Toast Recovery tool will not work. I am constantly getting and error. I'm afraid all the data I backed up is useless now and I will not be able to retrieve this information! I bought a new bluray drive, it works fine with DVDs I burnt directly from mac but every time I do recover and insert disc 1 or ##, there is an error from the Toast recovery software. Any help is truly appreciated! I really need to get this data back!

I no longer have my physical copy of Toast I bought back then, does Toast 12 have anything for restoring data that may help? Thank you

Edited by richcamp

4 answers to this question

I presume the restore app you are referring to is Roxio Restore. It is included on the burned discs and also is in your User Library>Application Support>Roxio folder. The most recent version of Roxio Restore is 1.0.5.

Can you simply copy the contents of the disc using the Finder? The content of the disc should be readable without the app. The main thing Roxio Restore can help with is joining any split files and there would only be one of those on each disc.

Search the Toast 10, 11, 12 forums for Roxio Restore. There may be some other tips.

If you don't have version 1.0.5 I have placed it in my dropbox. I can send you a link if you send me a private message.

Edited by tsantee

Thank you very much! The discs say I have 1.0.5, the issue too is that even when copying off the disc in finder, there is an error with the files, not sure what's causing it.

Any ideas why files will result in an error from mac finder? Thank you

The drive seems to be having trouble reading the disc but that could be a problem with the drive or the Mac OS rather than a problem with the disc itself. Do you have a different Mac that you can connect the drive to? Since the disc mounts okay I'm hopeful its contents can be copied. But I don't know what is getting in the way.

Verify if the drive is able to read discs. If the drive is unable to read discs, refer to the Dell knowledgebase article Optical Drive is unable to read discs.

If you are using a recordable ® or rewritable (RW) disc that was written on another computer, make sure that the disc is able to playback on the computer that was used to burn/record it.

Verify that the type of disc you are using is compatible with the drive that is installed on your computer. Refer to the Dell knowledgebase article Guide to Optical Disk Drives and Optical Discs.

If you are using a recordable ® or rewritable (RW) disc, verify that the disc burning/writing session was closed correctly. Refer to the User Manual of the disc recording software that you are using.

Try different brands of recordable ® or rewritable (RW) disc.