Roxio Community

Photo

Data Files Appear According To Size - How Can I Change This?

DATA files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 audiofixer

audiofixer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

I have six data files to burn to DVD. I have numbered them, one thru six. But when I put them in Toast Titanium 12 they appear in the window according to the SIZE of the files, NOT according to the NUMBER which appears ahead of the title, like this "1) Prelude".
I have tried everything and can't overcome this problem. HELP!

#2 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

Is a parenthesis a valid file name character? Not sure. Otherwise I cannot think of any reason it isn't ordered alphanumerically.

Edited by tsantee, 26 April 2015 - 06:04 PM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#3 audiofixer

audiofixer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

To clarify: I did not use a parenthesis. I listed the titles as follows 1) Prelude, 2) Intermezzo, 3) Toccata and so on. But I see that Toast rearranges the sequence based on the size of the files! If I click on the word size, the titles will be listed in ascending size or descending size. This fact is never mentioned anywhere that I can find! Does
this mean there is no way to have the files listed in the order in which they should go (e.g., the movements of a sonata should appear in a specific order)? By the way, the first time I put the files in Toast, I did so without using numbers at all - I added the numbers hoping that would force them to appear in numerical order.

#4 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:54 AM

Since you can sort on size by clicking on the column header have you verified that clicking on the column header in the file name column doesn't do the same thing? I'm not a Toast user, being on the PC side, but those options exist in Creator for sorting based on name or size. Also, what does it matter what "order" you see the files in when you write them to disc? I don't believe that's a guarantee that that's the actual order they'll be written to the disc.

And in Windows, when you look at the contents of a disc after it's written, you can sort by name, by date, by size... it doesn't matter what the actual order/position on the disc is, it's a random access device. Is the Apple OS that different in this respect?

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

#5 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:07 AM

I just realized, the only time position on a CD is important, is for an Audio CD. Looking at your list of file names, are you creating a Data CD, or an Audio CD?

Again, speaking from the "Windows" side, in an Audio CD (Music Disc Creator), you can drag the file names up and down to change the order in which they are written to the CD.

Is that relevant at all?

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

#6 audiofixer

audiofixer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

Hi, and thanks. It never occurred to me to click on the heading NAME, but that arranges the titles the way I want them to appear on the DVD! Maybe because I have a Mac? (Yes, I'm making a DVD of DATA files - recorded at 24 bits and 96 kHz.) MANY THANKS! I figured it had to be something simple!!!

#7 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

So again though, you'll have the same options after the disc is written, to sort by name, or by size.

The sort option chosen when you're viewing the files prior to writing them does not, I'm quite sure, indicate the actual order that they'll be written to the disc.

Dave D-W

XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users