AJtony

Multiple Video Files - Menu To Select

Question

Hi !

I have 13 short videos that I want to burn to a dvd that will play on most DVD players ( ie not data files). Ive converted them from MP4 to MPEG-2 and can play the video.

The issue is that I have been unable to created the DVD so that a menu starts and allows you to pick WHICH video to play ( ie a menu that lists the files by name so you can choose.

Help Please !

7 answers to this question

Hi !

I have 13 short videos that I want to burn to a dvd that will play on most DVD players ( ie not data files). Ive converted them from MP4 to MPEG-2 and can play the video.

The issue is that I have been unable to created the DVD so that a menu starts and allows you to pick WHICH video to play ( ie a menu that lists the files by name so you can choose.

Help Please !

How much video time are you trying to put on a the DVD? There are limits and issues if you try to put too much.

Please tell us what error messages you are getting and/or what happens when you try to make the disc. How did you make the conversion and what properties did you select for those mpeg2 videos?

If your project consists of multiple video files (in most formats) and you choose a Menu project, each file will have a separate button!

You can combine them by picking the ones you want under One Button. You can also create Chapters with Chapter buttons but they do not behave the way most people think they should... The act the way the Motion Picture Industry agreed and set the Standards.

There are several tricks you can use but with the Red Box version you are a bit limited...

Also keep in mind a basic rule of video. People will remember the video but NOT the menus - unless the menus are difficult to operate :D

• Like 1

Thanks ... first , no issue with file size very manageable.

The Mpeg-2 files play just fine but the do no show up as individual selections an I can not find a way to label the menus

thanks

Your not doing something right here... Let's run through the process:

Start MyDVD:

post-39730-0-42344800-1430993723_thumb.jpg

Pick the Project Type:

post-39730-0-61305400-1430993725_thumb.jpg

Add first Movie:

post-39730-0-97928600-1430993727_thumb.jpg

Add More:

post-39730-0-50117600-1430993732_thumb.jpg

I choose 2 this time so I can combine or add as seperate:

post-39730-0-98140000-1430993734_thumb.jpg

Edit a Title:

post-39730-0-43512000-1430993737_thumb.jpg

Title Changed:

post-39730-0-81529400-1430993739_thumb.jpg

Preview Menu:

post-39730-0-33856100-1430993742_thumb.jpg

There is not a specific Tutorial for this version but any of the other Creator Tutorials about DVD's would mostly apply... (keep in mind that the Red Box version is cut down ;))

Can the combine into one single video option be used in NXT 4? I cannot find anything similar in MyDVD.

Right now I have to take all my small videos and bring them into Video Wave, then re-export them and bring them into MyDVD. I think this extra step is causing the quality to degrade.

I have 13 videos for a total of 1 hour and 33 minutes but the quality when I paly it on my TV through my DVD player is very grainy and pixelated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour is about the limit for a single layer DVD. For your 1 hour and 33 minutes, you'll want to go to a dual layer DVD so you can maintain the highest quality.

I actually haven't played with the new MyDVD that comes with NXT 4, but it is a much reduced version from what used to be included. You're probably doing what now needs to be done when you "pre-combine" your videos before putting them into MyDVD.

I'm sure someone else will jump in here who has familiarity with the new MyDVD.

The MyDVD program in NXT 4 is nothing like any of the previous versions!

What I outlined here does not in anyway apply to the MyDVD of NXT 4 :(

In NXT 4 you must do your combining in the editor, VideoWave...

The MyDVD options of NXT 4 are extremely limited! You cannot control your output quality, it is automatic and like all versions when left to make the decision of quality, it does a poor job of it!

In NXT 4, I think that Video Copy and Convert is now a better program to burn a DVD or BD. Here you can SET the quality and burn the disc with or without a Menu... The Menu 'choices' are almost nonexistent but I have always held that people do not remember the Menu... It is the Content they remember -_- (I have never bought a DVD or BD movie for its' menu!)

If you add movie clips separately to VCC it will only burn the One file that is highlighted. So they have to be combined before they get there.

Get some discs and start playing and burning. Keep notes so you will know what you did and how it turned out.

And of course if you can't figure something out, you know where to find us :D

Edited by Jim_Hardin