• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

itsme51

Sticky CD on playing side

Question

Boy, did I get myself in a mess and I don't even know how it happened. I borrowed someone's CD to rip some tracks off of it. I played it in my set up CD player and all was fine. When it finished playing I immediaely took the CD out of the player, placed it in its plastic case and put the case on the table in my hobby room to deal with later. The next day when I had time to do the ripping, I opened the case, removed the CD and found sticky residue on the music playing side of the CD and on the surface of the plastic case on which the CD was resting. I can't even begin to imagine how this occurred. I don't remember doing anything that would have created this mess but I guess I did. I've been wracking my brain to remember what I might have done and what this sticky stuff might be but I'm at a loss.

Anway . . . I'm afraid to put the CD in my burner and I'm REALLY afraid to tell my friend I ruined her CD somehow. Of course, the easy way out is to buy a new one but I wonder if there is a safe method of cleaning the playing side of a CD ????? :)

4 answers to this question

Provided it's not scratched, apply a small drop of washing up liquid to a soft cloth and gently rub the playing side of the CD.

Then repeat with water to rinse off the residue.

Usually worked for me when I worked in a youth club and all the CDs were really gunged with just about everything

Guest mlpasley
Provided it's not scratched, apply a small drop of washing up liquid to a soft cloth and gently rub the playing side of the CD.

Then repeat with water to rinse off the residue.

Usually worked for me when I worked in a youth club and all the CDs were really gunged with just about everything

Me too. Except I usually spread the liquid soap with my fingers.

And many recommend not wiping off in a circular motion. Instead start at the center and wipe toward the outside edge and repeat until you've got the CD dry.

Me too. Except I usually spread the liquid soap with my fingers.

And many recommend not wiping off in a circular motion. Instead start at the center and wipe toward the outside edge and repeat until you've got the CD dry.

Thanks ml and qi7. I think you may have saved me from myself !!! I'll work your magic on the CD when I get home tonight and hopefully I'll be reporting in tomorrow that I'm back on track. Thanks !

Susiekay

Thanks ml and qi7. I think you may have saved me from myself !!! I'll work your magic on the CD when I get home tonight and hopefully I'll be reporting in tomorrow that I'm back on track. Thanks !

Susiekay

Wowee! Yippee! Hooray! Thank you. I followed the procedure you both indicated and it worked great. The CD plays great and look great too! Boy, is that a load off my shoulders. Thank you so much. :)

Susan