4 replies to this topic

#1 itsme51

itsme51

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

Boy, did I get myself in a mess and I don't even know how it happened.  I borrowed someone's CD to rip some tracks off of it.  I played it in my set up CD player and all was fine.  When it finished playing I immediaely took the CD out of the player, placed it in its plastic case and put the case on the table in my hobby room to deal with later.  The next day when I had time to do the ripping, I opened the case, removed the CD and found sticky residue on the music playing side of the CD and on the surface of the plastic case on which the CD was resting.  I can't even begin to imagine how this occurred.  I don't remember doing anything that would have created this mess but I guess I did.  I've been wracking my brain to remember what I might have done and what this sticky stuff might be but I'm at a loss.

Anway . . . I'm afraid to put the CD in my burner and I'm REALLY afraid to tell my friend I ruined her CD somehow.  Of course, the easy way out is to buy a new one but I wonder if there is a safe method of cleaning the playing side of a CD ????? :)

#2 gi7omy

gi7omy

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,033 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

Provided it's not scratched, apply a small drop of washing up liquid to a soft cloth and gently rub the playing side of the CD.

Then repeat with water to rinse off the residue.

Usually worked for me when I worked in a youth club and all the CDs were really gunged with just about everything
If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it breaks, then fiddle with it until you get it fixed

"Rincewind could scream for mercy in nineteen languages and just scream in another forty-four "

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that will do them in."

“Computers have enabled people to make more mistakes faster than almost any invention in history, with the possible exception of tequila and hand guns.” — Mitch Ratcliffe

Daithi

Home Brew computer
Intel I7 950 on Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo
12 GB Three Channel DDRAM
Radeon HD4850 512 MB GDR3 graphics
Signalink USB Audio Codec for ham radio connection
1 x 160 GB, 1 x 330 GB, 1 x 400 GB IDE drives
4 x 250 GB SATA 2
LG HL-DT-ST GGW-H20L BD-RE drive
22" Acer P223W monitor

EMC 7.5 on Windows XP 32 SP3
EMC10 on Windows XP64 SP2
Creator 2011 on Windows 7 Ultimate
ECD6 on Gentoo Linux (running under VMWare)

#3 ml

ml

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,048 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

View Postgi7omy, on Oct 31 2006, 09:50 AM, said:

Provided it's not scratched, apply a small drop of washing up liquid to a soft cloth and gently rub the playing side of the CD.

Then repeat with water to rinse off the residue.

Usually worked for me when I worked in a youth club and all the CDs were really gunged with just about everything

Me too.  Except I usually spread the liquid soap with my fingers.

And many recommend not wiping off in a circular motion.   Instead start at the center and wipe toward the outside edge and repeat until you've got the CD dry.
ml

flying squirrel......"It's more of a gliding thing....."

Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.2 Ghz desktop processor E4500;
3GB DDR2 memory;
DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive;
500GB SATA 7200 rpm hard drive;
Windows Vista Home Premium ,
ATI RADEON HD 2400,Built-in TV tuner , High-definition audio (8-speaker support), HDMI
Multiformat media reader,
IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports,
PCI card with 4 USB 2.0 and 2 IEEE 1394 ports,
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet

#4 itsme51

itsme51

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:03 AM

View Postmlpasley, on Oct 31 2006, 10:29 AM, said:

Me too.  Except I usually spread the liquid soap with my fingers.

And many recommend not wiping off in a circular motion.   Instead start at the center and wipe toward the outside edge and repeat until you've got the CD dry.
Thanks ml and qi7.  I think you may have saved me from myself  !!!  I'll work your magic on the CD when I get home tonight and hopefully I'll be reporting in tomorrow that I'm back on track.  Thanks !
Susiekay

#5 itsme51

itsme51

Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:00 AM

View Postitsme51, on Oct 31 2006, 11:03 AM, said:

Thanks ml and qi7.  I think you may have saved me from myself  !!!  I'll work your magic on the CD when I get home tonight and hopefully I'll be reporting in tomorrow that I'm back on track.  Thanks !
Susiekay
Wowee!  Yippee!  Hooray! Thank you.  I followed the procedure you both indicated and it worked great.  The CD plays great and look great too!  Boy, is that a load off my shoulders.  Thank you so much.  :)
Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users