Jester of Guns

Question About Hdmi Cables

Question

So since the Roxio Game Capture HD Pro doesn't come with the extra HDMI cables needed, i went ahead and ordered 2 Pearlstone 10' Ultra thin HDMI cables. I went to test the HD Pro on my PS4 first, and my TV was blank once i plugged one of the Pearlstone HDMI cables from the output into the TV. I tried this with the X1 as well, and still nothing being read/blank screen. I originally bought the 2 HDMI cables for the 360, since my console only had component wires. (I still haven't tested out the 360)

So since I want to be able to record gameplay from all my consoles, is there specific HDMI cables I should buy for the newer generation of consoles? I was really looking forward to making some videos over the summer.

18 answers to this question

The HDMI OUTPUT of the Roxio device ADDs HDCP Coding!

It appears that your TV is not compatible with that...

However, you can TEST that theory since you have the PS4. In the PS4 Setup, turn ON the HDCP Code output and connect to your Monitor. With the Code ON, you should get a blank screen too. What do you get?

... to further Jim's post, if you do find that your TV does not support the HDCP coding, then you'll want to get an HDMI splitter to put between your PS4 and the RGC HD Pro, so that you can send a non-HDCP signal to both the RGC HD Pro, and to your TV.

The HDMI OUTPUT of the Roxio device ADDs HDCP Coding!

It appears that your TV is not compatible with that...

However, you can TEST that theory since you have the PS4. In the PS4 Setup, turn ON the HDCP Code output and connect to your Monitor. With the Code ON, you should get a blank screen too. What do you get?

I'll be able to test this again once I get home, but I do know that I tried it with HDCP (I searched for solutions and turned it off for further attempts) on first and I still got a blank screen for the most part. So, this isn't a problem with the 2 HDMI cables I bought then?

The cables most likely have nothing to do with it... In the past we have seen Console Specific cables but HDMI is about as specific as an extension cord :lol:

Now if you aren't telling us about using them to make a swing in your back yard, that might be a different story...

Let us know how the testing goes ;)

The cables most likely have nothing to do with it... In the past we have seen Console Specific cables but HDMI is about as specific as an extension cord :lol:

Now if you aren't telling us about using them to make a swing in your back yard, that might be a different story...

Let us know how the testing goes ;)

Alright, so I re-enabled the HDCP setting and all that happened was the screen was on normally for about a second or so. The screen went black afterwards but it doesn't say "No Signal" or anything on my TV screen. it's almost like it wants to show it but somethings up.

With or without the message it appears that a splitter is what you are after ;)

Alrighty! I'll be going out today to go buy a splitter then. Where do you plug the splitter into though? The console, TV or the RGC?

Well, you're actually going to need one more HDMI cable while you're at it.

1) HDMI cable from the console to the input of the splitter.

2) HDMI cable from one output of the splitter to the RGC HD Pro.

3) HDMI cable from the other output of the splitter to your TV.

Well, you're actually going to need one more HDMI cable while you're at it.

1) HDMI cable from the console to the input of the splitter.

2) HDMI cable from one output of the splitter to the RGC HD Pro.

3) HDMI cable from the other output of the splitter to your TV.

I bought the splitter and plugged in the HDMI cables in the way you instructed, but im still getting nothing. I tried doing it with HDCP disabled and still nothing,

Try this. Connect your PS4 directly to your TV, make sure you're getting a signal on your TV.

Now connect to ONLY your TV through the splitter. Do you get a signal? If so, then add the cable from the splitter to the input of the RGC HD Pro and see if you're still getting a signal on your TV. (Make sure you're connecting to the input of the RGC HD Pro.)

What is the make and model of the splitter you got?

Try this. Connect your PS4 directly to your TV, make sure you're getting a signal on your TV.

Now connect to ONLY your TV through the splitter. Do you get a signal? If so, then add the cable from the splitter to the input of the RGC HD Pro and see if you're still getting a signal on your TV. (Make sure you're connecting to the input of the RGC HD Pro.)

What is the make and model of the splitter you got?

Getting signal fine with just straight console to TV

No signal whatsoever from connecting just to TV using splitter.

Got the splitter from Best Buy, Rocketfish 2-way HDMI Splitter

Unfortunately, from what I'm reading about the Rocketfish splitter, it "supports" HDCP, which means it adds HDCP to the signal going through it. You'll need to find a splitter without HDCP. One poster said the box for the Rocketfish indicates it has HDCP.

HDCP into Roxio will result in a Preview but a Red "Signal Protected" message. He has never mentioned this anywhere in the whole lengthy Topic.

This might be a good candidate for the 2 heads better than 1 suggestion ;)

Sorry for the late response, I was waiting for my new HDMI Splitter to come in. Thankfully, after figuring everything out I was able to record gameplay with no problems whatsoever! I actually had to go back to Best Buy to purchase an HDMI cable to match the odd one I have, as the Pearlstone HDMI cables didn't seem to work. Thank you so much, Jim & Dewey! I'm usually weary to go to support forums as i've never seen much good help come from them, but this was quite the opposite case!

Really glad to hear that Your persistence paid off and you got it working!!!

If you have questions, problems, or just curious, pop in anytime ;)