gbalonek

How To Convert A Video Dvd To A Video File On My Computer

Question

7 answers to this question

I have a Video DVD. I need to know how to convert the file to a Video File that I can access it on my computer.

Copy the contents of the video DVD to a new folder on your hard drive.

Presumably this is DVD that you made and not a commercial DVD? If it's a commercial DVD, then it will be encrypted and Roxio products will not help you out.

The next thing is what do you mean by "access"? Do you want to edit the video? Play it? In either case, you can copy the .VOB files from the DVD, and rename them to .MPG, and you should be able to "access" them.

Let us know if that helps.

I am having problems with the Copy and Convert feature of Roxio. I have Roxio Creater Nxt 2. I am trying to convert some home videos that are on DVD to a file on my computer. These are older movies from about 10 years ago that I originally copied to DVD. But the DVDs are getting old and some are scratched but still plays. I want to preserve them on my computer.

I opened Copy and Convert and choose the Convert Video tab. I then click on "Movies" which opens a media selector. I navigate to my DVD drive and click on the movie. A window opens that says its caching but when its complete nothing appears in the "Source" section. Everything is greyed out.

Am I missing a step? I have read and re-read the help file but it doesn't give much of an explanation. I am following al the steps it shows in the help file.

You can simply copy the contents of the the Video_TS folder to your computer using Windows Explorer, you don't need to use any part of the Roxio application for that. Once you've done that, inside the VIDEO_TS folder, you'll find .VOB files. These are the actual video files. I believe the free VLC media player will play those directly (or even open the Video_TS folder as a playable DVD). You don't need to use Copy and Convert. Any conversion will lose resolution, just copy the folder directly.

Presumably this is DVD that you made and not a commercial DVD? If it's a commercial DVD, then it will be encrypted and Roxio products will not help you out.

The next thing is what do you mean by "access"? Do you want to edit the video? Play it? In either case, you can copy the .VOB files from the DVD, and rename them to .MPG, and you should be able to "access" them.

Let us know if that helps.

Personally I found that Roxio's converting program a big PIA to use. Try https://handbrake.fr/

Question: Wouldn't it be better to save them as MP4?

Personally I found that Roxio's converting program a big PIA to use. Try https://handbrake.fr/

Why would you even want to convert them? There is absolutely no need - it will not improve quality.

Simply use Windows Explorer and copy them to your hard drive or wherever

You have shown, in the thread that you started, that you either have a hard time comprehending what the folks, who are trying to help you, are saying, or you need a Computer 101 Class.

Dave is giving lilbudz3 sage advice here.