• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gbalonek

gbalonek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:31 AM

I have a Video DVD.  I need to know how to convert the file to a Video File that I can access it on my computer.

#2 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

I have a Video DVD.  I need to know how to convert the file to a Video File that I can access it on my computer.

Copy the contents of the video DVD to a new folder on your hard drive.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

#3 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,802 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

Presumably this is DVD that you made and not a commercial DVD?  If it's a commercial DVD, then it will be encrypted and Roxio products will not help you out.

The next thing is what do you mean by "access"?  Do you want to edit the video?  Play it?  In either case, you can copy the .VOB files from the DVD, and rename them to .MPG, and you should be able to "access" them.

Let us know if that helps.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

#4 lilbudz3

lilbudz3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:25 AM

I am having problems with the Copy and Convert feature of Roxio.  I have Roxio Creater Nxt 2.  I am trying to convert some home videos that are on DVD to a file on my computer. These are older movies from about 10 years ago that I originally copied to DVD.  But the DVDs are getting old and some are scratched but still plays.  I want to preserve them on my computer.  

I opened Copy and Convert and choose the Convert Video tab.  I then click on "Movies" which opens a media selector.  I navigate to my DVD drive and click on the movie.  A window opens that says its caching but when its complete nothing appears in the "Source" section. Everything is greyed out.   

Am I missing a step?  I have read and re-read the help file but it doesn't give much of an explanation.  I am following al the steps it shows in the help file. 

#5 d_deweywright

d_deweywright

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,802 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

You can simply copy the contents of the the Video_TS folder to your computer using Windows Explorer, you don't need to use any part of the Roxio application for that.  Once you've done that, inside the VIDEO_TS folder, you'll find .VOB files.  These are the actual video files.  I believe the free VLC media player will play those directly (or even open the Video_TS folder as a playable DVD).  You don't need to use Copy and Convert.  Any conversion will lose resolution, just copy the folder directly.

Dave D-W

Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick it once and you'll suck forever. - Brian Wilson

[ASUS M4N98TD EVO MB | Athlon II X6 440 (3.3 GHz) | 4GB DDR3 RAM | GE Force 750 TI video card | 1-500GB HD (C: XP, G: Win7 , D: - Apps, E: data & apps), 1-500 GB HD Data), L: 1-1 TB WD Green, M: 1 - 2TB Toshiba HD | 2 - LiteOn DH20A4P DVD burners | External Dell QFlix DX-20A6Q DVD +/- writer | ASUS-12B1ST Blu-Ray writer | Windows 7 (32-bit) | Creator 2012 | Tektronix Phaser 8560 solid ink printer | Epson R220 Photo/Disc printer | Ricoh GX 3110db dye sublimation ink | Epson Workforce 7610 all-in-one printer/scanner | Microtek i900 Scanner]
XP w/EMC9
XP w/EMC10
Win7 w/Creator NXT Pro
Win7 w/Creator NXT 2 Pro

Instructions for posting images in your post.
Contact Roxio/Corel Support to reset your Key after too many install attempts

#6 buddy2007

buddy2007

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:02 PM

Presumably this is DVD that you made and not a commercial DVD?  If it's a commercial DVD, then it will be encrypted and Roxio products will not help you out.

The next thing is what do you mean by "access"?  Do you want to edit the video?  Play it?  In either case, you can copy the .VOB files from the DVD, and rename them to .MPG, and you should be able to "access" them.

Let us know if that helps.

Personally I found that Roxio's converting program a big PIA to use.  Try  https://handbrake.fr/ 

Question: Wouldn't it be better to save them as MP4?

#7 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,963 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:23 PM

Personally I found that Roxio's converting program a big PIA to use.  Try  https://handbrake.fr/ 

Why would you even want to convert them? There is absolutely no need - it will not improve quality.

Simply use Windows Explorer and copy them to your hard drive or wherever

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#8 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

You have shown, in the thread that you started, that you either have a hard time comprehending what the folks, who are trying to help you, are saying, or you need a Computer 101 Class.

Dave is giving lilbudz3 sage advice here.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users