Roma1927

Capture From Dv Camera Comes Out Black And White Not In Colour

Question

Hi - just purchased a Roxio GameCap HD Pro as an interface to transfer video from DV cassettes to my PC.

I have attached the an AV male into the DV Camera's female AV jack - the other end of the cable has a typical yellow, white and red composite cable set which I attached to the Roxio GameCap.

I then used the cable that came with the GameCap to attach to a USB port on my PC.

While I was able to pick up a signal when I played the tape on my DV Camera the footage comes through as black and white on the PC and also seems to be of a lower quality (lack of colour aside).

I ruled out an issue with the DV Camera or AV/Composite cables as when I use the same cables to view the video play from the DV Camera on my TV (plugging into the red/white/yellow females on the TV) there is no issue with lack of colour or video quality.

Any thoughts of what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

7 answers to this question

Maybe you noticed that there are 3 colored video inputs on the RGC HD Pro? Those are Component video inputs. You're feeding it a Composite signal. They're not the same. You can't use a composite signal into the RGC HD Pro.

Unless your DV Camera has a different output port/cable that gives you a component (Red, Green, Blue) video output, you'll need to find a converter to change your composite signal to either an HDMI signal, or a Component signal to put into the RGC HD Pro.

Thank-you for the quick response.

I got the idea to use the Roxio from this YouTube video where the uploader seems (?) based on the colour of the cords he is using to be using composite cables.

But what you say makes perfect sense. I will look for a composite to component (or HDMI) converter.

Thanks again.

Yep... that would be the only way to get any signal, but as you noticed, you get a black and white image. He only showed a little sliver of his capture screen, so I couldn't see if he was seeing any color or not, but anyone I know who's ever connected that way only gets a black & white image, as you're seeing. (I've done that myself, and seen black & white.) His Youtube video is definitely misleading.

Thank-you.

I found this Composite to HDMI converter on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FPFPBOA/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1977604502&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003FJKHBU&pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=117YKKJ7RT6F30T350NN

Would you expect a significant loss of quality going from the DV Camera through the composite cables and HDMI converter then Roxio into the PC?

The only potential issue I see is that the 1080p output appears to be at 60fps, and the RGC HD Pro only supports 1080p at 30fps. However, it appears that it also supports 720p output, and since you're starting with 480p video, going to 720p and capturing that should work fine. I would not expect any significant loss of quality.

There's mention of "upscaling" in that device. If it does do that, then you might actually see an improvement in your video, depending on how it does that. If I play a regular DVD (standard definition) on my 40" TV using a regular DVD player, it looks pixelated and fuzzy. Playing the same DVD on my BR player, which upscales, definitely makes it a better picture. For example, looking at the credits, they're much more readable, so there is an improvement with the upscaling.

So, I would think the unit you're looking at would work okay.

Capturing video from a DV camcorder gives the best quality when using a Firewire connection. You would of course need Firewire ports on your camcorder and on your pc.

Roma, what is the make/model of your camcorder? What does the camcorder manual say about capturing video?

Edited by myguggi