Sign in to follow this  
Janet Goldbaum

Cannot Burn Dvd With Toast 12 - Ok W/ Toast 6 Lite (?)

Question

I have 7 photos and 1 movie made with digital camera in movie mode. I have tried several times to burn a DVD w/ Toast 12 Titanium. I cannot even burn one that will play in the same MAC Pro I am using to burn it. I found a post about converting the file to one that will work in iTunes. Finally figured that out.. Tried watching the tutorial at this web site - it uses Toast 11 Pro - the interface does not even remotely resemble 12 T. I finally made a disc image that appears to work. Now how do I get that onto a DVD disc? Toast 6 Lite - obviously OOOOld version - did it and it works like a charm - plays in my Blu-ray player with no problems. However, with the lite version I can only do 2 items. I am very frustrated and disappointed. I have used Toast in different versions for years and never had these issues. I am using MacPro 10.9OS and DVD+R discs. Would appreciate any suggestions.

10 answers to this question

There shouldn't be any problem. Tell me more details about the settings you are using in Toast. Is it the DVD-video setting or the High-Definition DVD setting or something else? Also, do you have the photos before the video or after the video?

I'm also having issues with Toast 12... but to your question re: getting a disc image on to DVD, you should be able to open the disc image file using Disk Utility, then select the disc image file in the sidebar, and click on the "Burn" button. Disk Utility should then prompt you to insert a blank disc.

On a similar topic, I can't get Toast 12 to import a video made in iMovie and Mac's Yosemite.

It says that the video is in an unrecognized format. In previous versions of the Mac OS,

iMovie, and Toast, I have enjoyed making many videos. Any suggestions appreciated!

That seems... unusual. I haven't used the new iMovie for OS X Yosemite myself, but have used it in the past. I'm guessing that you're doing an export from iMovie and then trying to import that file in to Toast? If you select the file in the Finder, do a Command-I ("Get info"), and then look at the "More Info" block, it should give details about dimensions, codecs, etc. What's being reported?

Perhaps the file was written in a format or with a codec that Toast doesn't recognize. I had a similar issue this afternoon trying to use an unrelated app to convert a file exported from FCP into a format usable by PS3, and got "garbage" video; turned out the export used DV/DVCPRO - NTSC which the app didn't understand.

Thanks for your reply, Istari. Yep, I have the video on the desktop and then tried to import it into Toast.

I have Toast 12, Mac's Yosemite, and the iMovie that came with the OS. Must be something not

compatible there.The info that shows up with the Command-I that you mentioned.....says

"Last opened today 11:38" and gives the name and extension as "iMovie library".

Not much help. Thanks again! Any other thoughts?

Hmmm... sounds like the info from the "iMovie Library" in the Movies folder (I didn't know it created one, but I should've expected it; similar behavior to iPhoto and iTunes to have its own "library folder"); as such, that's just a collection of files, and not just one specific exported file.

In order to try this myself, to get an individual file/movie as the output, I had to be in iMovie (specifically on the Library tab of the window), go to the File menu -> Share -> "File...", give it some info about the movie, click "Next...", then give the file a name and choose where to write it (sounds like you used the Desktop; I tend to follow the default folders and used my Movies folder).

When that finally completed, I went out to the Finder, opened a new window, selected the Movies folder in the sidebar, located the file, selected it, and did a "Command-I" ("Get Info") on the movie file itself. Based on how I had it set up, under "General" it reported "Kind: MPEG-4 movie"; under "More Info", it reported:

Dimensions: 1920x1080

Codecs: AAC, H.264

Color profile: HD (1-1-1)

Duration: 02:34

Audio channels: 2

So, to make a long story short ("too late!"),... when you were in iMovie, did you use the File menu -> Share -> "File..." method to write your movie to a standalone file,... or did you just track down your "iMovie Library" and try to bring that into Toast? If the latter, I'm guessing that Toast has no clue how the "iMovie Library" is organized (and doesn't care, either); you probably have to "share" an individual movie to a file and then try to bring that into Toast.

Good luck... :)

I finally made a disc image that appears to work. Now how do I get that onto a DVD disc?

I had to go back and re-read your original post... so, I'm guessing that you're using Toast 12 and changed the destination to be a disc image file,... which is probably sitting on your Mac somewhere with a filename extension of ".toast"? I'm not familiar with how to use Toast to make discs from disc image files, but it can be done with Disk Utility (which is what I normally use for such things). If you double-click the file, it should mount the disc image. From there, you could run Disk Utility, select your file from the list of mounted disc images on the left, and then click the "Burn" button in the toolbar; insert a blank disc, and Disk Utility will check it and say "Ready to burn" - at which point, click "Burn".

Hope that helps... :)

John, I believe you need to Share the movie from iMovie before it is rendered and usable by Toast. It then should appear in the Toast Media Browser under the Video tab and iMovie subhead.

Thanks to all for suggestions about getting an iMovie into Toast.

I finally got it to work.....I "shared" the finished IMovie video to

the desktop. I chose the "convert" command in Toast, and

dragged the video into the Toast window. Toast accepted this

one, and did some kind of conversion. I then switched to

the "video" command in Toast, and dragged the video into

Toast again. This time it worked. I have an iMac with Yosemite

software, the iMovie version that came with that, and Toast 12.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the ideas. My problem was that I wasn't getting Toast to accept a video made in iMovie when I tried to drag it into Toast.

I finally realized that it was just a matter of waiting a few minutes after sharing the movie to file.......in other words saving it to the desktop.

After the "sharing" was completed, Toast would then accept the file and make a disc just fine.

Thanks again.