5 replies to this topic

#1 Technophobe2

Technophobe2

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:59 AM

I've made one 20 minute photo slideshow and one 3 minute one in VideoWave, brought them into MyDVD and created a project with menus, titles, etc.  I've burned the project from MyDVD onto a DVD+R and it plays perfectly in both my computer and my PS4.  However, when I've given them to friends to view, they have had some issues with playback.

One friend noted that on her computer it didn't open automatically to the menu screen and there were some strange file names that she had to figure out which ones to click on before the slideshows would play (but they played).

The other friend noted that it played okay on her computer, but was not able to play it at all in her DVD player.

I will need to be making many copies of these for distribution to 50+ people, and want to ensure that there will be no issues with playback.

Here's my QUESTION(s):

Is there another way that I should be burning these DVD's other than straight from MyDVD?

Is there some setting that I am missing when burning the DVD that makes the DVD playable in most machines (not just newer technology, but also older DVD players and computers)?

Is there a different type of DVD that I should be burning to that would make it more compatible with more machines?

Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,453 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

Pretty much an age old problem...

Commercial Discs are NOT burned but rather Pressed much like a Record from years past.

Both formats, Plus & Dash, claim 80+% compatibility... Funny that neither mention the 20% Incompatibility :lol:

My distribution list is much smaller than yours but I even hit ONE DVD Player that would only accept DVD RW discs :huh:

Other than getting them pressed about the only thing you can do is stick to Quality media, like Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC). That along with never multitasking during burns and reducing the burner speed will assure the greatest success rate.

Even then, let folks know you will redo them if they don't work right - If you burn Plus media and someone has trouble, make them a Dash disc ;) 

#3 cdanteek

cdanteek

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,968 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

I've made one 20 minute photo slideshow and one 3 minute one in VideoWave, brought them into MyDVD and created a project with menus, titles, etc.  I've burned the project from MyDVD onto a DVD+R and it plays perfectly in both my computer and my PS4.  However, when I've given them to friends to view, they have had some issues with playback.

One friend noted that on her computer it didn't open automatically to the menu screen and there were some strange file names that she had to figure out which ones to click on before the slideshows would play (but they played).

The other friend noted that it played okay on her computer, but was not able to play it at all in her DVD player.

I will need to be making many copies of these for distribution to 50+ people, and want to ensure that there will be no issues with playback.

Here's my QUESTION(s):

Is there another way that I should be burning these DVD's other than straight from MyDVD?

Is there some setting that I am missing when burning the DVD that makes the DVD playable in most machines (not just newer technology, but also older DVD players and computers)?

Is there a different type of DVD that I should be burning to that would make it more compatible with more machines?

Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

This 50 + distribution will be single layer media with play time under 60 minutes?

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Computer Specs click show.

Spoiler

1.Click here Beginners Guide - Blank DVD Media Type Definitions & What A Firmware Upgrade Is for Your Burner.
2.Click here Firmware HQ - site dedicated to providing you with the latest firmware releases for your optical disc drives.
3.Click here CD-DVD Speed
4.Click here CD-DVD Speed - A user guide
5.Click here Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x.
6.Click hereYou can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive.
7.Click here Drive Not Recognized By Roxio, PX Engine 3_00_58a. Old Version<-> EMC 7.5 Up PX Engine 4.18.16a. Update .Click here PX Engine Fix, Click here The Latest 4.10.28a Click here
8.Click here How to uninstall IE 7 and WMP 11.
9.Click here ImgBurn Current version: v2.5.8.0 (3,389 KB) CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application
10.Click here InfoTool (Drive, Disk, Configuration, Software, Hardware, DMA settings, etc.).
11.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2011 & Creator 2012
12.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows Vista and 7)
13.Click here Complete Uninstall of Creator 2009 and 2010 (Windows XP)
14.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 9 & 10 on Windows Vista
15.Click here Complete Uninstall of Easy Media Creator 7.5, 8, 9, & 10 on Windows XP
16. Click here WinZip Data Compression Utility <> Click here WinRAR Data Compression Utility Click here 7-Zip Data Compression Utility
17. Click here Finding Your Computer Specs And Roxio Software Version Number.

E-mail spambots harvest e-mail addresses from material found on the Internet in order to build mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail, also known as spam. Such spambots are web crawlers that can gather e-mail addresses from Web sites, newsgroups, special-interest group (SIG) postings, and chat-room conversations. .

Do not post your email address on any public forum!

#4 Jim_Hardin

Jim_Hardin

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,453 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 02:06 PM

Good point cd!

#5 myguggi

myguggi

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,961 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

OP gave all this information in his first post: "one 20 minute photo slideshow and one 3 minute one in VideoWave" and "burned the project from MyDVD onto a DVD+R"

Walt

Dell Dimension 4500S;Windows XP Home Edition SP3; IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 2.00GHz, 784MB RAM
(NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 MB memory disabled because of failure)
IntelŪ 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller; DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
SoundMAX Digital Audio
SamsunG CDR/DVD-ROm SM 332B
HLDS GSA-5120D External LG Super-Multi ReWriter
WDC WD400BB-75DEA0, 40 GB HD; Prolific PL3507 Combo External Hard Drive, 80 GB; Maxtor 6 L200R0 USB Hard Drive, 250GB

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook; Intel Duo CPU 64 bit, T6400 @ 2.0Ghz; 4.0 GB RAM; Vista Home Premium 64bit
Toshiba MK3252GSX ATA 286GB hard drive; HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50L ATA burner
Intel 4Series Express Chipset

#6 Brendon

Brendon

Digiital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • -8,380,083 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Since you're using DVD+R, your best idea for maximum compatibility is to booktype the DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM if you and your burner are capable of doing that.

See this article on AfterDawn.

• cdanteek likes this

Assorted computers in Windows XP, 7, and 10.

[This space unexpectedly left blank]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users