Technophobe2

Dvd's Burned From Mydvd Won't Play On All Machines

Question

I've made one 20 minute photo slideshow and one 3 minute one in VideoWave, brought them into MyDVD and created a project with menus, titles, etc. I've burned the project from MyDVD onto a DVD+R and it plays perfectly in both my computer and my PS4. However, when I've given them to friends to view, they have had some issues with playback.

One friend noted that on her computer it didn't open automatically to the menu screen and there were some strange file names that she had to figure out which ones to click on before the slideshows would play (but they played).

The other friend noted that it played okay on her computer, but was not able to play it at all in her DVD player.

I will need to be making many copies of these for distribution to 50+ people, and want to ensure that there will be no issues with playback.

Here's my QUESTION(s):

Is there another way that I should be burning these DVD's other than straight from MyDVD?

Is there some setting that I am missing when burning the DVD that makes the DVD playable in most machines (not just newer technology, but also older DVD players and computers)?

Is there a different type of DVD that I should be burning to that would make it more compatible with more machines?

Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Pretty much an age old problem...

Commercial Discs are NOT burned but rather Pressed much like a Record from years past.

Both formats, Plus & Dash, claim 80+% compatibility... Funny that neither mention the 20% Incompatibility :lol:

My distribution list is much smaller than yours but I even hit ONE DVD Player that would only accept DVD RW discs :huh:

Other than getting them pressed about the only thing you can do is stick to Quality media, like Verbatim (Singapore) and Taiyo Yuden (JVC). That along with never multitasking during burns and reducing the burner speed will assure the greatest success rate.

Even then, let folks know you will redo them if they don't work right - If you burn Plus media and someone has trouble, make them a Dash disc ;)

I've made one 20 minute photo slideshow and one 3 minute one in VideoWave, brought them into MyDVD and created a project with menus, titles, etc. I've burned the project from MyDVD onto a DVD+R and it plays perfectly in both my computer and my PS4. However, when I've given them to friends to view, they have had some issues with playback.

One friend noted that on her computer it didn't open automatically to the menu screen and there were some strange file names that she had to figure out which ones to click on before the slideshows would play (but they played).

The other friend noted that it played okay on her computer, but was not able to play it at all in her DVD player.

I will need to be making many copies of these for distribution to 50+ people, and want to ensure that there will be no issues with playback.

Here's my QUESTION(s):

Is there another way that I should be burning these DVD's other than straight from MyDVD?

Is there some setting that I am missing when burning the DVD that makes the DVD playable in most machines (not just newer technology, but also older DVD players and computers)?

Is there a different type of DVD that I should be burning to that would make it more compatible with more machines?

Any help or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

This 50 + distribution will be single layer media with play time under 60 minutes?

OP gave all this information in his first post: "one 20 minute photo slideshow and one 3 minute one in VideoWave" and "burned the project from MyDVD onto a DVD+R"

Since you're using DVD+R, your best idea for maximum compatibility is to booktype the DVD+Rs to DVD-ROM if you and your burner are capable of doing that.

See this article on AfterDawn.

• Like 1