tsantee

Toast 14 Announced

Question

Roxio/Corel announced Toast 14 today. Guess they don't want to take chances with an "unlucky" 13. I received an email offering everyone a $40 discount on the standard version and $50 discount on the Pro version; $59.99 & $99.99 after discount.

I don't have a copy as yet. What looks promising to me is the return of audio capturing and the much-improved DVD/Blu-ray menu options. If you haven't used Fotomagico 4.5 you are in for a real treat.

At first glance this Toast version is a great improvement.

Edited by tsantee

14 answers to this question

I received the same email today. What I want to see is a comparison between Titanium 12 and Titanium 14 to see if it worth buying the new version less than 6 months after buying Titanium 12. Most reputable companies give you a free upgrade it you bought the previous version within 6 months before the release of the new version so I want to see what Roxio says.

They didn't fix the 12 pro...

Now we have another one...

Greedy and .....

No info,no tutorials.....I'll run as fast as I can.

They didn't fix the 12 pro...

Now we have another one...

Greedy and .....

No info,no tutorials.....I'll run as fast as I can.

There is no way to know that whatever wasn't working for you with Toast 12 will be any different with Toast 14. Overall I've seen Toast 12 have fewer problems than Toast 11 or 10 but no version of Toast has ever been without curious problems.

Oddly enough, I'm in the middle of a project for which I would've liked to have had the "alleged" menu options... and I haven't otherwise finalized duplication. I'm *tempted* to pick up 14 Pro, cross my fingers, and hope/pray that it won't be a(nother) waste of time, effort, and money. My FCS2/FCS3 install still appears to be stable on OS X 10.10.3, but I cringe every time I look at a Blu-ray menu with less "creativity" than I can get with DSP.

Oddly enough, I'm in the middle of a project for which I would've liked to have had the "alleged" menu options... and I haven't otherwise finalized duplication. I'm *tempted* to pick up 14 Pro, cross my fingers, and hope/pray that it won't be a(nother) waste of time, effort, and money. My FCS2/FCS3 install still appears to be stable on OS X 10.10.3, but I cringe every time I look at a Blu-ray menu with less "creativity" than I can get with DSP.

I will have it on Wednesday. Will try to post a link to a pdf that explains the new menu features.

As a Toast 11 user, I also received the e-mail about the Toast 14 release and the introductory discount.

On the product page for Toast 14, under System Requirements, I saw something that gives me pause. Under the list of compatible Mac OS versions, I read:

Mac OS® X 10.7, 10.9, 10.10. Partial functionality on Mac OS 10.8

(source: http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast/#system-requirements )

I'm running OS 10.8, so naturally I'm wondering what limitations or problems I might experience. If anyone encounters problems under 10.8, or knows where to look for more info, I would be interested to hear.

Thanks!

I have installed Toast 14 Pro. As with earlier versions Toast is the same in the Pro version as it is with the standard version except for the activated Blu-Ray plugin and the extra 3rd party applications. The Toast 14 Titanium folder contains DiscCatalogMaker RE 6.4.10, Live Screen Capture 1.0, MyDVD 1.0, Toast Audio Assistant 1.0 and Toast Titanium 14.0.

After launching Toast you need to activate the Blu-ray options with a selection in the Help menu (presuming you have the plugin). This also activates Blu-ray in MyDVD.

MyDVD is a new application for creating DVDs and Blu-ray videos with nice menus. Here is a link to the MyDVD Help pdf.

New in Toast 14 is Toast Audio Assistant 1.0. What does this program allow you to do?

Is it similar to CD Spin Doctor which came with older versions of Toast?

Since CD Spin Doctor does not work properly with Mavericks, I have been using Audio Hijack 3 to capture system audio and then edit with Fission.

Will Toast Audio Assistant both capture and edit system audio all in the same program?

Well, I launched Audio Assistant just to check it out. Error pops up saying the Kernel extension is not signed by a legal developer or some such, but still loads. The Help menu opens a dead browser link. Nice one Roxio!

Also tried MyDVD. No idea what that one is supposed to do, but here there's no Help at all. Why am I not surprised.

Because of lack of alternatives I had no choice but upgrade. Toast 12 crashed 4 out of 5 burns on Mavericks, even when burning Toast's own images. Let's hope this iteration behaves a bit better.

Well, I launched Audio Assistant just to check it out. Error pops up saying the Kernel extension is not signed by a legal developer or some such, but still loads. The Help menu opens a dead browser link. Nice one Roxio!

Also tried MyDVD. No idea what that one is supposed to do, but here there's no Help at all. Why am I not surprised.

Because of lack of alternatives I had no choice but upgrade. Toast 12 crashed 4 out of 5 burns on Mavericks, even when burning Toast's own images. Let's hope this iteration behaves a bit better.

Hermie, Toast Audio Assistant launched with no pop up error for me. You are correct that the Help link does not go to a valid Web page as yet. Still, the application is very straight forward. You choose your input source and the preset you want for audio quality (voice, CD, DVD, DVD High Quality). You can choose it to stop recording after a set number of minutes. In Preferences you can choose the gaps needed to auto-define tracks and set a destination for the recorded file.

The Help link for MyDVD worked on my Mac which is how I was able to save the PDF and post a link to it on my Dropbox above.

I posted earlier with a question about the "partial functionality" of Toast 14 under OS 10.8. Since then, I have posed the question to Roxio as a private message on their Facebook page, and just received the following reply by e-mail:

We appreciate your interest with the latest version of Toast 14. As of the moment, we are still verifying this part from our developers. I will be forwarding your inquiry to our engineering team. Once the information is available, it will be updated in our product page of Toast 14 under System Requirements.

I pass along the word here in case anyone else is wondering about the same issue. Cheers.

Hi Tsantee,

Thanks for posting the pdf. I'm not sure I should upgrade from 12. I'm not impressed with the menu making, but maybe it has improved?

Not sure if you have done much with the menus, but in case thought you might be able to answer....

When making menus can you add titles to the thumbnails or text to each one? Before I could only add an image and it would say 1, 2, 3, 4 etc below the thumbnails. It appears that maybe you can now add text to each thumbnail. Is that the case?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Moby74

System Requirements still says it is only partially functional with Mac OS 10.8 and does not even mention 10.11. How can it be fully functional on 10.7 and 10.9 but only "partially" on 10.8 which is basically a "clean-up" version of 10.7?

Guest Rox-Ralf

System Requirements still says it is only partially functional with Mac OS 10.8 and does not even mention 10.11. How can it be fully functional on 10.7 and 10.9 but only "partially" on 10.8 which is basically a "clean-up" version of 10.7?

The only partial functionality in 10.8 is Live Screen Capture do not support native resolution, this because of a bug of AV Foundation.