Question

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I hope that I've posted this question in the correct catagory.

I've been a Roxio user since 2005. Recently updated to Roxio NXT3.

I lost a disk on my old system with many of my original videos on it. I did have backup of those files

but not all of the files that were included in making the videos.

When I edit an existing video I receive a warning that all files associated with the video cannot be found.

However it will let me select "SKIP" and will allow me to edit the video.

I've made quite a few changes to the video and I am now ready to burn a DVD. However, when I start

up MyDVD, it too lets me know that all of the files cannot be found but, will not allow me to proceed. The files

missing are just a couple of .WAV files and are really not necessary in the video. When I play the section of the

video that uses these files in the production, it justs skips over that section of video.

Is there any workaround for this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joe Kenny

Edited by Joe Kenny

9 answers to this question

You might want to try this---After you edited the original video and made the changes, I would suggest that you give the video production a new name

and save it to a new folder and then make sure that all of the files (photos, videos, music etc.) are also included in that same new folder. My assumption is that

you made the original "Video" using the program "Videowave". If not what Roxio program did you use to make the original ?

Thanks so much for the quick response. In answer to your question...

I believe that the original edits were made using EZ Creator 5 "Platnum Edition"

I have tried renaming the video file and putting it in a different directory without any luck, It continues to look for those missing files in a nonexistant directory and fails.

Make sense?

Hi,

Thanks for that response although Im not quite sure I know what you mean.

Here is what I tried.

From Videowave I click on "Output"

Export as

At this point i select MyDVD

and receive the same missing files message.

and will not proceed.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Joe

Explain with more detail what you mean by "when I edit an existing video I receive a warning that all files associated with the video cannot be found. However it will let me select "SKIP" and will allow me to edit the video".

Are you talking about using a project file from an earlier Roxio version (which one)? If yes that will not work. Earlier project files are not compatible with the newer version especially not the version you are quoting.

If you get a "missing" message that means that the required file is no longer in its original position. You either have to relink it to its new location or delete it from your project.

Yes, you are not paying attention!

Export As is a choice and 'MyDVD' is a different choice... If you keep doing the same thing, you will keep getting the same result!

Choose a file that has the same quality parameters as the output you desire (dvd?).

Explain with more detail what you mean by "when I edit an existing video I receive a warning that all files associated with the video cannot be found. However it will let me select "SKIP" and will allow me to edit the video".

Are you talking about using a project file from an earlier Roxio version (which one)? If yes that will not work. Earlier project files are not compatible with the newer version especially not the version you are quoting.

If you get a "missing" message that means that the required file is no longer in its original position. You either have to relink it to its new location or delete it from your project.

By an "existing video" I meant one that had been created and edited with an older version of Roxio. It was Roxio Creator 5 and I am now using Roxio Creator NXT 3. It certainly appears to be backward compatable. It allows me to edit and make changes without a problem. It's odd that it would allow you to edit the file in Videowave (with missing files) and save it but, not allow you to create a DVD.

As far as missing files go... You mention "delete them from your project". That would solve my problem. I've gone to the sections of the video that used those files and those sections no longer appear in the video.

If you mean that the project in Creator5 has been rendered to a final video file (with the extension of mpg) then of course you can easily edit that using NXT 3. You should also be able to burn that video file to a DVD with myDVD without any problem. There should be no mention at all of any missing files. There are no missing files in that rendered video.

I am still confused by exactly what you are doing. This may be due to the incorrect terminolgy you are using. When you use "save"in Videowave you are not creating a video file but only saving your project (with the extension dmsm), which is just a roadmap on how to create your project, resources used, edtis, etc. This dmsm file can be added in myDVD as a "video" file without any problem.

If you try to open a project file from Creator 5 in NXT 3, it will not work unless our project is very, very simple.

So what is it that you are "adding" in NXT 3 Videowave: the Creator 5 project file (dmsm) or the rendered video file (mpg) from Creator 5?

If you mean that the project in Creator5 has been rendered to a final video file (with the extension of mpg) then of course you can easily edit that using NXT 3. You should also be able to burn that video file to a DVD with myDVD without any problem. There should be no mention at all of any missing files. There are no missing files in that rendered video.

I am still confused by exactly what you are doing. This may be due to the incorrect terminolgy you are using. When you use "save"in Videowave you are not creating a video file but only saving your project (with the extension dmsm), which is just a roadmap on how to create your project, resources used, edtis, etc. This dmsm file can be added in myDVD as a "video" file without any problem.

If you try to open a project file from Creator 5 in NXT 3, it will not work unless our project is very, very simple.

So what is it that you are "adding" in NXT 3 Videowave: the Creator 5 project file (dmsm) or the rendered video file (mpg) from Creator 5?

Thanks for hanging in there.

Your suggestion of using the .mpg file vs .dmsm file worked perfectly! Thanks so much for the help. I believe that this can now be closed.

As far as Jim Harden's suggestion of "Export As". it will not allow that file to be exported to any type of file format. When you execute "Export As" it complains about missing files and

drops back to editing.

I noticed that no one had a comment on his suggestions. I do believe his tone was quite rude. Is he always that nasty to someone new who comes in with a question>?

Thanks again,

Joe

Edited by myguggi
move response outside quote box