userX

2 GB File Size Limit

Question

I am using Toast 6.1.1 (PPC version) under OS X.4.8 on a PowerMac. When I copy a 3 GB file onto a DVD (data mode), Toast does something funny and after a successful burn and verify, the file is truncated to 2 GB (2,097,000 KB and change, to be more specific).

The file options set in Toast were: Mac&PC; Data (ie, exactly the default settings)

The burned DVD storage is set correctly (3 GB), but the specific file is truncated to 2 GB, and thus is "toast" (useless).

This never happened under my PPC G5 tower.

Is this a software problem? hardware problem? Is there a fix / workaround to put a 3 GB file onto a DVD in data

10 answers to this question

Don't select HFS standard, it must be HFS+. Also, on the PC the file will always be truncated because ISO doesn't support over 2GB files. You should use UDF instead if you are burning large files.

I am using Toast 6.1.1 (PPC version) under OS X.4.8 on a PowerMac. When I copy a 3 GB file onto a DVD (data mode), Toast does something funny and after a successful burn and verify, the file is truncated to 2 GB (2,097,000 KB and change, to be more specific).

The file options set in Toast were: Mac&PC; Data (ie, exactly the default settings)

The burned DVD storage is set correctly (3 GB), but the specific file is truncated to 2 GB, and thus is "toast" (useless).

This never happened under my PPC G5 tower.

Is this a software problem? hardware problem? Is there a fix / workaround to put a 3 GB file onto a DVD in data

Updated... Yes!! Thanks!! specifying UDF format did the trick!! Note: just using "Mac & PC" format does NOT work for files >2GB.java script:emoticon(':)',%20'smid_3')

Note to Roxio: please put in the 2 GB file size instructions / recommendations into the HELP command or other place in the software package.

Over 2GB files work fine on the Mac HFS+ partition. I've burned even larger files in Mac & PC format without a problem. It's only ISO that has the limitation.

I just dont believe the software isnt smart enough to know this and that we have to manually set this.

Is this another Roxio miss?

It has nothing to do with Roxio. It's the PC file system that is the problem. Toast 8 will allow over 2 GB files in Hybrid disc now by using parts of ISO level 3 spec on the PC partition, but OS X doesn't support ISO level 3 so ISO only with large files could cause a problem.

So, I never solved this issue: Trying to burn a hybrid disk that allows me to select what is seen on each side (Mac and win), customize the mac window side (background, etc.) in Toast 8 with a file over 2 GB. I do not want to do staright UDF as I can not customize the Mac side with that and I need to hide certain files from each side.

Has anybody found a way to make this work in Toast 8 or 9?

Thanks!

But ISO 9660 does not allow for customizing the disk area for Mac and show hide files for each OS. I am trying to do a Mac/PC with custom Mac side.

Not ISO 9660 format, Mac & PC format. Mac & PC format is HFS+ for the Mac and ISO for the PC. The PC part of the Hybrid will support 2GB files by using Level 3 is extented information. However, this will only work on XP, and probably Vista. Anything early does not support it.

Results: 3 GB file using Mac/PC

3 GB file is burnt to mac side, but only 1 GB is written to PC side. Shows like this in disk and in disk image.

Thus, it is writing the files twice when it only needs to write them once and then point the directory to the file. Ugg!