9 replies to this topic

#1 g-force

g-force

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

I've edited video in VW, created DVD project in MyDVD and all seems fine. When I burn a disc the audio gets out of sync with the video somewhere near the middle of the production. I've re-tried many times from scratch and the problem persists. Some of the files in the project are mpeg2 and one is mpeg4, could this be the issue?

Thanks

#2 sknis

sknis

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,203 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:40 AM

View Postg-force, on Nov 3 2006, 06:24 PM, said:

I've edited video in VW, created DVD project in MyDVD and all seems fine. When I burn a disc the audio gets out of sync with the video somewhere near the middle of the production. I've re-tried many times from scratch and the problem persists. Some of the files in the project are mpeg2 and one is mpeg4, could this be the issue?
Thanks

The mp4 should be OK. Are the original videos in sync?
Out of sync problems are common with slower computers (you didn't post your specs so I'm guessing :) ), "dirty" computers, or computers that are trying to do too many things at once.  Please post your computer specs, clean up old files and programs, defrag your hard drive, disconnect from the internet and shut down your anti-virus, anti-malware and all other running programs (don't play free cell when the computer is working on video rendering/encoding).  Also do not burn directly to disc, burn to an iso (image file) and then copy the iso file to your disc using Disc copier or Creator Classic.  You do this so that the computer doesn't have to encode and burn at the same time.

Since the mpg2 are already DVD ready, you should see a gray window with mpg2 showing.  That mpg4 video would have to be encoded to mpg2 so you will see a jerky preview of that in the window but I doubt if that is the reason for out of sync.  You might try using VideoWave to encode that mpg4 file to mpg2 by clicking on the icon that looks like a film reel and selecting mpg2 for DVD best quality.   You can then add that mpg2 video to the other mpg2's.

You might consider posting your computer specs in your signature by going to My Controls and using the menu to the lower left to type in your specs. :huh:
PC  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit  
Velocity Micro ProMagix ©HD 60; evga x58 motherboard, Intel i7 @2.93, 12G RAM, EVGA Nvidia 560TI superclocked video card, SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme audio card, Buffalo external blu-ray burner; Creator 2012. PhotoShow 6, VHS to DVD 3Plus.

Laptop - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Alienware M17XR4.  I7 third generation @2.4,  8G RAM, GTX660M, SoundBlaster 3Di

Apple =OSX 10.5
MacBook Pro; 15.4-inch widescreen display, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory, 200GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW), NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory.  ILife 08, Toast 10, Final Cut Express 4 and Photoshop 4.

#3 g-force

g-force

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:52 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Yes, the audio IS in sync in the original videos and everything sounds and looks great in the preview. I have no other applications running when burning except for my anti-virus. I'll try turning that off and unhooking my internet cable. I will also try burning to an image file first. All my movie files and project files live on my external LaCie firewire drive.

When my project burns, the whole movie is played back (both mp2 and mp4 files). It takes two hours to burn a disc for a two hour movie. Will burning to an image file save me some time?

#4 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:46 AM

View Postg-force, on Nov 4 2006, 08:52 AM, said:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Yes, the audio IS in sync in the original videos and everything sounds and looks great in the preview. I have no other applications running when burning except for my anti-virus. I'll try turning that off and unhooking my internet cable. I will also try burning to an image file first. All my movie files and project files live on my external LaCie firewire drive.

When my project burns, the whole movie is played back (both mp2 and mp4 files). It takes two hours to burn a disc for a two hour movie. Will burning to an image file save me some time?

Creating an image file will not save time, but it will eliminate any effects of your PC's performance on the quality of the resulting DVD.

This problem was also in version 8.  I was just checking to see if it was finally working in version 9 before I bought it.  Creating a DVD ISO file from video files should only involve processing the audio and video information...the speed of your PC should only effect how long it takes, not whether it works or not.  If you're capturing video or audio, or writing a DVD...then your PC has to perform well enough to keep up.  When you start with a file with the audio and video in sync, run it through EMC9 and create a DVD image file with the audio and video out of sync.  The only source of the problem is EMC9.

#5 grandpabruce

grandpabruce

Digital Guru

• Digital Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:14 AM

View PostMarkC, on Nov 4 2006, 11:46 AM, said:

Creating an image file will not save time, but it will eliminate any effects of your PC's performance on the quality of the resulting DVD.

This problem was also in version 8.  I was just checking to see if it was finally working in version 9 before I bought it.  Creating a DVD ISO file from video files should only involve processing the audio and video information...the speed of your PC should only effect how long it takes, not whether it works or not.  If you're capturing video or audio, or writing a DVD...then your PC has to perform well enough to keep up.  When you start with a file with the audio and video in sync, run it through EMC9 and create a DVD image file with the audio and video out of sync.  The only source of the problem is EMC9.

Then that would happen to everyone who uses the software.  We know that that doesn't happen, so there goes your theory.  :)
Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971

Main System:
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard; Cooler Master ATCS 840 Case
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
PLEXTOR Black DVD Burner, Model PX-880SA; Pioneer Black 8X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R Burner
EVGA GEFORCE GTX 670 2GB Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Windows XP Pro w/SP3

Backup Computer:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Windows 7 Pro w/SP1

#6 MarkC

MarkC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:28 PM

View Postgrandpabruce, on Nov 4 2006, 10:14 AM, said:

Then that would happen to everyone who uses the software.  We know that that doesn't happen, so there goes your theory.  :)

Thanks for the laugh !   Some people on this board may not get your joke.

It would be great if it were that easy.  The problem is there are many paths through the program...some work and some don't.  Because of the multiple data streams and compression being used in DV, AVI, etc. files, some files (even of the same type) may work while others fail.  I've had some VOB files that caused EMC to exit just trying to open them.  Some paths through EMC only appear to work.  VOB to DivX conversion, for example, appears to work for very short videos, but get progressively out of sync as the video gets longer. VOB files greater than 1GB that are converted to DivX by EMC are so far out of sync, they're useless.   AVI to VOB (DVD) conversion has the same progressive sync problems.  It's unfortunate there are so many bugs.  That's why I spend hours every time I buy a new version of EMC finding paths that work and trying to find ways around paths that don't (bugs).

I noticed your PC configuration...Great system !!!

#7 dlflannery

dlflannery

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

I have an audio sync case to add to this thread:

I create D1 NTSC DVD's  (720x480,  4000 kbps bitrate, AC3 audio) starting with "medium" TiVo files (352x480 MPEG2, 2700 kbps, mp2 audio)  I have two process paths to do this:

MyDVD path:
1.  Edit TiVo with VideoReDo save as .mpg or .tivo, sometimes also do a "Quick Stream Fix".
2.  Input edited .mpg or .tivo to MyDVD
3.  Set project settings to 720x480, 4 Mbps, Interlaced, AC3 audio 448 kbps.
4.  Burn to ISO (then burn to DVD and/or view in PowerDVD).

DVDStyler path:
1.  Edit TiVo with VideoReDo and output as .vob or .mpg, sometimes QSF.
2.  Input file to gui4ffmpeg (free encoding software from VideoHelp.com).  Settings are the same
as step 3 in MyDVD path.
3.  Input output .mpg to DVDStyler and author to ISO.

I have one test clip for which the MyDVD version video lags audio by about 200 msec, i.e., just noticeable.  The problem does not exist on the DVDStyler version.

Other facts:
1.  The sync problem does not exist in the source files.
2.  The sync problem does appear in either PowerDVD playback of the ISO  or on actual standalone DVD playback.
3.  If I rip the .vob files for the clip from the two .iso files, the sync problem does appear when the MyDVD version is played in a software player.
4.  Using gspot, the source files are interlaced, TFF (top-field first).
5.  The .mpg out of gui4ffmpeg is interlaced, TFF.
6.  The .vob ripped from the DVDStyler ISO is interlaced, TFF.
7.  The .vob ripped from the MyDVD ISO is interlaced but is BFF (bottom field first).

I have to conclude from this that MyDVD is the cause of the audio sync problem.

I have to wonder whether the reversal of interlaced field order by MyDVD might not be the source of the problem, and I wonder why it does this?

BTW, I was able to correct the sync in the MyDVD ISO by introducing a compensating shift in the input file using VideoReDo.  Does EMC9 provide a way to do this?

Edited by dlflannery, 12 November 2006 - 07:35 AM.

Software:
Roxio Creator 9 Home
Version: 9.0.088
Build: 900B88F, R03

System:
Dell Dimension 8300, 3.0 GHz P4 Processor, 1 GB memory. 50+ GB of disk free space.
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Graphics w/ 128 MB
Plextor PX-708A DVD drive, Maxtor 300 GB USB external drive.
I have verified that hardware graphics processing is being used on my graphics card.

#8 dlflannery

dlflannery

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:46 PM

dlflannery said:

I have to conclude from this that MyDVD is the cause of the audio sync problem.

I have to wonder whether the reversal of interlaced field order by MyDVD might not be the source of the problem, and I wonder why it does this?

BTW, I was able to correct the sync in the MyDVD ISO by introducing a compensating shift in the input file using VideoReDo.  Does EMC9 provide a way to do this?
Additional info.  I created a D1 NTSC DVD compliant mpeg of the half-D1 TiVo test clip using VideoReDo and  gui4ffmpeg (as described in the previous post) and authored it in MyDVD.  

MyDVD did NOT re-encode either video or audio (very fast in this case).  The resulting DVD did NOT have the 200 msec audio sync problem.  This is further evidence that the MyDVD re-encode introduced the sync problem.

Edited by dlflannery, 13 November 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Software:
Roxio Creator 9 Home

System:
Dell Dimension 8300, 3.0 GHz P4 Processor, 1 GB memory. 50+ GB of disk free space.
I have verified that hardware graphics processing is being used on my graphics card.

#9 dlflannery

dlflannery

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

View Postdlflannery, on Nov 13 2006, 10:46 PM, said:

Additional info.  I created a D1 NTSC DVD compliant mpeg of the half-D1 TiVo test clip using VideoReDo and  gui4ffmpeg (as described in the previous post) and authored it in MyDVD.  

MyDVD did NOT re-encode either video or audio (very fast in this case).  The resulting DVD did NOT have the 200 msec audio sync problem.  This is further evidence that the MyDVD re-encode introduced the sync problem.
Question:  When MyDVD is re-encoding an MPEG2 (while burning to .iso file) can the DirectX capability of the graphics adapter, the hardware/software rendering setting, computer "dirtyness", etc.  affect the quality of the .iso output (e.g., audio sync)?  Not concerned about speed -- just quality.

If the answer is yes, I assume it is because MyDVD is using the graphics adapter hardware to render in the decoding process that is part of the re-encoding.  Correct?

Also if the answer is yes, any such effect should be removed by forcing software rendering, correct?

Edited by dlflannery, 15 November 2006 - 08:30 AM.

Software:
Roxio Creator 9 Home

System:

#10 dlflannery

dlflannery

Novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

View Postdlflannery, on Nov 15 2006, 11:29 AM, said:

Question:  When MyDVD is re-encoding an MPEG2 (while burning to .iso file) can the DirectX capability of the graphics adapter, the hardware/software rendering setting, computer "dirtyness", etc.  affect the quality of the .iso output (e.g., audio sync)?  Not concerned about speed -- just quality.

If the answer is yes, I assume it is because MyDVD is using the graphics adapter hardware to render in the decoding process that is part of the re-encoding.  Correct?

Also if the answer is yes, any such effect should be removed by forcing software rendering, correct?
Found out hardware rendering has nothing to do with the audio sync problem in my test clip (see earlier posts).  The same video lag of around 200 ms is present when either software or hardware rendering is used in MyDVD.  The re-encode time was about the same too (didn't time to the second).
Software:
Roxio Creator 9 Home

System:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users