mudway

Screen Resolution Error Message

Question

I recently upgraded from Roxio 2012 to NXT 3 which I’m beginning to think was a big mistake. What works is burning or copying discs. Trying to open anything else like creating or editing/converting, results in this error message “The current display settings do not meet the minimum requirements for this application. Please change the screen resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels or higher, and the colour quality to 16-bit or higher.” My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 and colour is 32-bit. All drivers, software etc. are up to date. The system is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

After a few attempts at fixing the problem using the obvious methods which I had tried like uninstalling, downloading again and re-installing, support suggested changing my font size to 100%. My default font size was 144% to fit my monitor. Reducing to 100% resulted in Microsoft programs opening up with larger icons and small message font. Irfanview used to open up 1200 pixel photos for cover the full screen, now they only open up to 2/3rds of the screen.

I reported this and was told that “This email is referencing your case XXXXXXXX. It has been reviewed and due to the complexity of your question, I will be transferring it to our Level 2 Technical Support. An agent will contact you shortly. Thank you for your patience.” The next email stated “thank you for contacting Corel Customer Support. Again I do apologize for this inconvenience and Please be informed that this ticket will now be closed.”

Two questions,

1) Has anyone else experienced this problem and had a proper fix for it?

2) Is Corel Support normally this useless?

19 answers to this question

The fix is usually to set your resolution (not font size) to 100% or 96 d.p.i.

post-208-0-37335800-1438770051_thumb.jpg

If you have installed other software with your resolution set to other than 96 d.p,i. (100%) you might find you have to adjust or reinstall the other software once you reset your resolution, to get it looking right once more.

Regards,

Brendon

Also note that your 'obvious methods', methods carries a penalty in that there is a limit on the number of downloads and installs you are allowed :huh:

Keep following the same failing process and you will see a new message about exceeding your numbers :lol:

Thanks Brendon, that makes it work but screen font size in every Microsoft application is minute and virtually impossible to read unless you read the screen with a magnifying class. I've uninstalled it from my main PC and installed it on my other one which now has that problem. I'm hoping I can reload Creator 2012 onto my main one (the one I'm using) as that was happily working with no screen size issues.

Funny thing, Corel support have just burst back into life and contacted me.

Built into every Windows OS is 'Accessibility' or more recently they started calling it 'Ease of Access' :lol:

In your Accessories Folder of your Start Menu.These are what you need to be using rather than your Display settings... (actually it would be nicer if programmers would write in a more dynamic manner... It is much harder but better for end users -_- )

As for Creator 2012, it is going to do the same thing as will all versions of Roxio:

post-39730-0-06200200-1438944096_thumb.jpg

post-39730-0-89975300-1438944099_thumb.jpg

It is actually Program Dependent. Generally the built-in's don't cause the trouble but the ones with their own interface are the ones ;)

Built into every Windows OS is 'Accessibility' or more recently they started calling it 'Ease of Access' :lol:

In your Accessories Folder of your Start Menu.These are what you need to be using rather than your Display settings... (actually it would be nicer if programmers would write in a more dynamic manner... It is much harder but better for end users -_- )

I think this was covered in post #2, Jim.

But why do I have to reduce my font size etc to something smaller when Roxio is saying my screen resolution is too small? It makes the screen look ridiculous (see below first normal then after reducing resolution to 100%). My screen size is 1920 x 1080 and colour is 32 bit, both higher than Roxio wants.

I’ve now reinstalled Creator 2012 which now has the same error as NXT3. Now I’m even more confused as the PC arrived with Creator 2010 loaded, I had upgraded to 2012 with no errors and now Roxio is giving this error when I reinstall it.

post-102687-0-46810200-1439022229_thumb.jpg

post-102687-0-72670500-1439022236_thumb.jpg

Edited by mudway

Why make a shortcut folder in Explorer view and look at the small text your complaining about when programs list most of your list like this? :unsure:

By the way I see several registry fix programs in your Explorer view. Quickest way to wreck a Roxio installation is run some registry cleaners. :(

post-97-0-43031100-1439084900_thumb.jpg

Edited by cdanteek

Why make a shortcut folder in Explorer view and look at the small text your complaining about when programs list most of your list like this? :unsure:Easy, they are the programs I use most. Didn't have small text before NEXT3 advice from Roxio.

By the way I see several registry fix programs in your Explorer view. Older ones I tried before I standardised on Tune Up. Just haven't got around to getting rid of the shortcuts for progs I don't use. Never realised how many there were, this mornings job. :)

Quickest way to wreck a Roxio installation is run some registry cleaners. That to me says Roxio can't be that good/robust. Tune Ups Clean Registry and defrag registry runs once a month. None of the others would have been used for a long time.

You should sell your computer :lol::D:lol:

You have gotten the ONLY answer there is! It is your user error in the Display Settings you are using.

Whether you like the answer or not is not relevant, no one is going to re-write the program to fit the wants of one disgruntled user out of MILLIONS ;)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

You should sell your computer Whatever you do, don’t give up your day job. You’ll never earn a living as a comedian.

You have gotten the ONLY answer there is! It is your user error in the Display Settings you are using. My display settings as you call them are those as set and recommended by the manufacturer. I have changed nothing and every other program on the computer works, only NXT3 has a screen resolution error. Besides why is my system wrong when Roxio is misreading my settings? Roxio says it requires resolution of 1024 or higher and at least 16 bit colour. My resolution is 1960 and colour is 32 bit. Roxio is the problem as it is incorrectly reading my computer’s settings settings.

FYI, 3 computers, 2 x Dells both with 24” screens and 1960 resolution, the Asus as a notebook only 1366. All run windows 7. Display size on the Dells came at 150% and the Asus at 125%. I have changed nothing. Obviously your system is working so what size monitor do you have, what resolution and display size is your PC set to?

Whether you like the answer or not is not relevant, no one is going to re-write the program to fit the wants of one disgruntled user out of MILLIONS One disgruntled user, try searching the internet, there seem to be other people with the same problem out there and this discussion group seems to have quite a few problems cropping up with the software. Maybe you are the only happy user!

Now something for you to ponder on. I just booted up my older PC which is normally only used to store data these days and noticed a shortcut to Roxio. It still has Creator 2012 Pro on it and guess what. It works OK with the same settings as my main PC. The main PC now gets an error from Roxio on 2012 Pro. Before I installed NXT then uninstalled it and reinstalled 2012, Creator 2012 ran happily the main PC. Only after first loading NXT did Roxio start with the error messages for 2012. The only difference between the 2 PCs is that the older one is 32 bit.

post-102687-0-68182800-1439286336_thumb.jpg

Counter-intuitively, what happens if you actually set your screen resolution lower than what you currently have, particularly the bit depth? Try setting the bit depth to 24 or 16 bit and see what happens. If that makes no difference, try setting the screen size lower too. I seem to recall someone else having a similar problem, and they were actually able to get around the message by reducing their screen resolution settings down from the max settings they were using.

I realize this doesn't "solve" the problem, but it would let give us another data point to look at.

Thanks, the only alternatives are shown to my current screen size are 16 bit and various other “Hertz” in both 16 and 32 bit. All dropping to 16 bit did was cut to about 50 > 60% of the screen any pictures and videos played. No apparent change in picture quality to me but a bit pointless having a 24” screen with only about 15/18” used. Nice idea though.

Out of curiosity I decided to load Creator 2012 Pro to my notebook which has never carried anything like it. Screen resolution is set to 125% which is the highest, size to 1366, colour is 32 bit 60htz. Loaded OK and opened up all Creator progs without a problem. Now to scrub it from the notebook as no need for Roxio as it has no dvd drives.

So far all 3 machines have been able to run all Creator 2012 Pro files. Switching to NXT on this one was the problem and I don’t feel inclined to contaminate the others with it. I’m still trying to work out how to reset my fonts and icons back to where they were before I reduced screen size etc. down to 100%. Putting it back to 150% brought the screen back but fonts are nothing like they were before the change. Seem to be a different font type and size now. Even tried a system restore but that didn’t do the trick.

Roxio customer service seem to have gone back to sleep again. No response for nearly 5 days now.

Yes it did but it created problems with various programs like word, Irfanview and VLC or any other program that will display/ run a photo or video. Also the windows explorer page had font and icons reduced to almost nothing.

Some screen caps of 150% versus 100%.

The real pain was trying to get my display back to where it was. Simply changing from 100% to 150% did nothing. System Restore did the trick though.

post-102687-0-56745900-1439548640_thumb.jpg

post-102687-0-72581700-1439548649_thumb.jpg

This may sound stupid but dd you view the full screen after you changed the font size? (Sorry for asking that questions but some people forget to do that.

I am experiencing the same problem. See below for a temporary work-around.

I am running Roxio Creator NXT Pro 5 under Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My hardware screen resoluton is set to the reccomended size of 1920 X 1080. (I have been experiencing this problem since NXT Pro 3 so I have few illusions that Roxio Support will address or fix it.) Every time I start the 'Create Labels - Advanced' application I receive the following error message and am forced to change my resolution to 1024 X 768:

post-36674-0-44368500-1488047820_thumb.png

It is possible to live with annoyance but switching screen resolution hoses up the sizing of all windows that are open when Label Creator is launched. In this forum I have seen several posts recommending that the user change his screen resolution (DPI). I refuse to try any of them. Even if I could find a setting that worked for Roxio it would screw up the GUIs of every other application on my PC. It is the job of the software to adapt to the hardware, not the other way around.

I suggest the following work-around:

• Open the Start Menu and locate the Shortcut for Label Creator.
  • Right click on it then select Open file location under More.
  • Right click on the Label Creator Shortcut then select Properties.
  • Select the Compatibility option at the top of the screen.
  • Click the check-box for Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
  • Click Apply and OK to save the setting as seen here:

post-36674-0-72458800-1488047860_thumb.png

The next time you launch the Label Creator application you will receive the following GUI instead of the screen resolution error message:

post-36674-0-37849100-1488050194_thumb.png

While this display is not overly attractive, it offers all of the Advanced Label Creator functionality.

The primary virtue of this work-around is that it ONLY affects the Advanced Label Creator GUI - nothing else on the PC is impacted.

Note that the VideoWave application has the same problem with screen resolution. It can be fixed by adapting the above approach.

This can be most likely fixed without having to change your screen resolution, or having to do any complicated temporary workarounds.

In your Windows 10 Pro if you go to Windows Settings >Display Settings, you should see this screen which does not change your screen resolution.

post-208-0-58904900-1488055398_thumb.jpg

If someone has modified the setting from the recommended 100%, change it back to the original 100% setting.

That should solve this problem without having to change your screen resolution.

Regards,

Brendon