Sign in to follow this  
FrankieBabe

Installation Of The Easy Vhs To Dvd Program

Question

Hello from Australia,

I am brand new to the Easy VHS To DVD program. I have read lots of posts on this site getting ready to do some conversion of VHS tapes but would appreciate some advice on the following::.

What affect does the Data Rate have on the finished (converted) file?

Would some kind person to suggest the settings that will give the optimum quality that the tape is capable of? Currently the settings are: Frame Rate = Pal(25 fps) - Resolution = 720x576(Pal) - Data Rate = 10000

Regarding the Resolution setting - is there a way to determine what is the resolution the video tape? For setup/export purposes.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Operating System : Windows 7 Home 64 Bit

Make : ASUS

Processor speed : 3.40GHz

RAM : 8GB

Free hard drive space : 860 GB on Drive C :.6TB on external drive

• Like 1

18 answers to this question

MBPS directly effects Quality! HQ, 8 - 9 mbps is the way to go! VHS Tapes are low to begin with, about 335 X 576 for PAL at SP.

Using anything less than HQ for output will degrade the lower VHS quality even more...

Capture is out of your control but Output is not!

ALWAYS use HQ settings

Never exceed 1 hour for a 4.7 GB disc - if longer, use 2 discs or an 8.5 GB disc

That should keep you out of trouble ;)

• Like 1

Don't BATCH!

At least at first... Do one or 2 from start to finish and make sure you are happy with the results!

A lot easier to fix a basic mistake before you have spent hours getting there ;)

• Like 1

Thanks James for the heads up.

Just to clarify your previous reply specifically "ALWAYS use HQ settings"

I assumed your were referring to the output from the tape recorder. If this is so I cannot see such an output setting.

I would be grateful if you expanded on that specific point a little more - or point to a reference of some kind.

My only excuse is my 85 years of age and - presumably, some dementia setting in!

Kind regards.

Tape is done - you have no choice in its' quality. (if you have one done in LP or SLP and poor quality, we have some tricks ;))

The options for Quality that you and I can effect are in Recording to a DVD (not recommended) and during Output to a DVD or File.

In these cases you will see a Quality Slider or under Record-Edit-Save outputting to a DVD an Auto-Fit choice selection box. That Box always defaults ON and you never want to use it!!!!!!!!!!

Recording to DVD:

post-39730-0-08168700-1439636197_thumb.jpg

Record-Edit-Save Output to DVD(auto-fit):

post-39730-0-83385900-1439636316_thumb.jpg

Output to Computer File:

post-39730-0-12879500-1439636457_thumb.jpg

(red arrows have nothing to do with it - look at the Quality Slider)

Take it slow and keep notes of your settings. When you get the results you want - finalize your notes and use them as a check list ;)

Stay Young!

Edited by Jim_Hardin
  • Like 1

Thank you once again Jim (less formal now).

In my ignorance I had the Quality setting at 'Best Quality'. My rational was that I have time and space to accommodate this setting.

So, if I understand you correctly, I use the same piece of video, say 10 minutes, and convert that with identical settings other than the 'Best Quality' setting. Gradually increase the Quality settings and compare (and note) the converted output quality.

I am assuming my starting Quality setting would be around the midway point. Is this correct?

Kind regards

How to create the default setting for the Data Rate.

Sorry to appear to be a bit slow on the uptake but can I set my preferred Quality setting once (during the installation process) and keep that setting for all of my conversions. If this is the case I will re-install the program.

At the moment I set the Quality setting in quite a convoluted way :-

Start the program

Select the "Record, Edit and Save" option

Select "Start a New Project"

Click on the "Import Video" button

Select a short video snippet previously recorded.

Click on the "Ready To Export" arrow button

Select "Computer"

Set the "Data Rate" to 15000 (Best Quality)

Select the "Edit Videos" arrow button - bottom left

Delete the short video snippet previously loaded.

Start the recording process.

At the moment this seems to be the only way I am able to access and change the Data Rate value.

When you have finished chuckling and shaking your head in disbelief I would appreciate you telling me if I can I set the Quality setting once. Perhaps at the initial install procedure? Re-installing the program is no problem.

I do have a couple of more queries but I would dearly like to sort this problem out first - tiny steps for this old man !!

Kind regards

Edited by FrankieBabe

You would think... :lol:

No! but there is a left handed approach to this -_-

Create a VERY short simple on clip video and make those settings that you want.

Then SAVE the Project and call it HQ Defaults. (save it to a common location like Libraries\Videos )

Then when you click on Record - Edit - Save and it asks if you want to open an existing... Choose that one and delete the clip then import the ones you want!

That is why I suggest keeping the clip SHORT since you will delete it anyway ;)

It is still a pain because if you get used to it, one day you will forget to do it and since you are used to not changing the quality, end up burning trash.

• Like 1

Hello Jim,

Thank you so much for taking the time to improve my understanding of the program.

I will do as you suggest and create a 20 second template file.

I have a couple more questions regarding the program but I want to try to try and solve them myself first - with the help of existing posts to this forum.

If I have to ask another question - not related to this specific topic, do I create another thread or post it here?

Kind regards

Hello Jim,

I need a little more help!

In your advice (Post 2) you advised me to keep the output to one hour or less.

The majority of the tapes I would like to convert are extended play. A conversion of one hour of the tapes at ‘Best Quality’ results in a file size of approximately 1.9GB.

To keep within the parameters you have suggested would mean I am limited to approximately half an hour of tape per 4.7GB disc.

I don’t have a problem with that – I just wanted to verify that I fully understand your recommendation.

Regards

Free hard drive space : 860 GB on Drive C : 1.6TB on external drive

Edited by FrankieBabe

Size: While that seems to run counter to what I said earlier it does not, necessary -_-

It is dependent on what the final output is that you intend to achieve...

If you want a Data disc you will have disc that a few DVD/BD Players can play but all PCs can play.

Or you want a DVD Movie that all Players can play and 'all PC's' can as well... (assuming the PCs' have DVD playing software)

With a Data Disc as your goal, you can get roughly 2+ hours on a single DVD. This is good for archival purposes but limits your play choices.

With a DVD Movie, due to the Standards, that same One Hour file (2GB) will appear to Grow into 4 GB filling the disc :huh:

The reason is that the Computer file output is compressed whereas the DVD Movie in order to simplify the rendering software, is authored at a consent rate.

Party Trivia: DVD Movies are on 8.5 GB, Double Layer discs and are actually pressed much like a Phonograph Record.... They are also Authored (prep for burning/pressing) at variable rates. Slow or scenes that have no movement use a low 3 to 4 mega bits per second. Whereas action scenes use up to the max for DVD of 9 mbs (video & audio). That is how they get so much on a disc ;)

Where are we going with all this?

If a Data Disc is your output goal, you are done.

If a DVD Movie is your goal, you need to author those at the Highest Quality setting.

And here is a thought, if these are important videos, do both! The DVD Movies for easy watching and the Data Discs for archival purposes.

The second thing you mentioned is that the tape were recorded at EP. IF that quality is OK for you, and get someone else to rate it for a second opinion, then go for it!

If not, there is not a lot we can do to enhance it but we can talk more about that.

• Like 1

Thanks for your valued comments Jim.

The content of the tapes are important to the family and I intended to duplicate the resultant discs.

As a matter of interest it was my intention to duplicate each transfer procedure. That is, create an output file using the procedure you outlined in previous posts. Then repeat the process - resulting in two identical files. My rationale being if I copy the first output file there would be a decline to the quality. Do you think this is an overkill or would the decline in quality be indiscernible?

I will get started in earnest tomorrow - after that, a few months, I have to do my 8mm film - silent and sound !

Thanks again for your help - it really is appreciated.

Thanks for your valued comments Jim.

The content of the tapes are important to the family and I intended to duplicate the resultant discs.

As a matter of interest it was my intention to duplicate each transfer procedure. That is, create an output file using the procedure you outlined in previous posts. Then repeat the process - resulting in two identical files. My rationale being if I copy the first output file there would be a decline to the quality. Do you think this is an overkill or would the decline in quality be indiscernible?

I will get started in earnest tomorrow - after that, a few months, I have to do my 8mm film - silent and sound !

Thanks again for your help - it really is appreciated.

Yes - a digital copy from one disc to another degrades nothing!

If your were loading it into an authoring program and then rendering it to a new disc, yes, that degrades ;)

Write down your steps as you go and just do maybe 3 to start with and pass them out to others to make sure it is working as you expect it should.

Then you can go at it in earnest ^_^

• Like 1