Gbob

Vhs To Dvd Plus Problem - Split From Hijacked Thread

Question

Hi,

I am new to this. I used Roxio vhs to dvd plus and recorded a vhs to my hard drive. Then burned the cd. I took the cd over to my Hitiachi DVD player and it will not play, Next I tried the living room DVD player it is a Sony and it did not play. It plays in the computer cd player. I need to be able to make copies of old VHS tapes that will play in all DVD set top players.

What can be done

Thanks.

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

I am not sure but it appears as though easy VHS to DVD plus burns disks that can not be read on older DVD set top players. I have 2 DVD players, a Sony and a Hitachi. Neither one of them can be more than 5 years old. Regardless if this is true I will be returning the product and search for something else.

I have a friend that recently gave me a copy of a movie made in 1974. It plays on both of my 5 year old DVD players.

This is an important issue.

What is going on here?

They should play. How did you make them (steps please). Can you take them to your friend's and see if they will play there. High end DVD players are sometimes very picky in what they will play. Will the play on your computer using a DVD player program?

Are you using good media (No Memorex or store brands). What burner do you have - can it burn to the type of media that you are using?

It is important to be accurate - you didn't burn to a cd did you?

Please only one post (thread) per issue.

• Like 1

Most likely, it's a combination of three things, the drive they were burned on, the brand/type of disc that was used, and the players themselves. The easiest thing to change, is the brand/type of disc.

For example, if you're using "x" brand discs, buy a few "y" and "z" (and maybe "t") brand discs and see if those work. (I've most often used Verbatim brand discs with good success.)

If you're using -R discs, try +R discs. Some players prefer one type over another.

Now, in your other thread, you say the disc plays fine in your PC, so we know that the disc(s) can be read, and that they're in a playable format, so, another indication of the potential burner/disc/player mismatch.

Counterintuitively, I've had better success with cheaper player working well with burned discs, then I have with more expensive players. I have a nice, older Sony DVD/VHS combo player/recorder, that really doesn't like burned discs. But an older, $35 Magnavox player will typically play anything I put in it.

So, my first suggestion is definitely to try some different brands and types of discs.

Again, referencing your other thread, you say you want to be able to create discs that will play in any set top player. There is no way you can guarantee that a discs you write will play in any player. You have to find the best combination of discs to work with your writer, that creates discs which will play in "most" of the players they're put in. That's the best you can do, unless you want to start pressing your own discs.

(Note: your threads were merged whilst I was composing my reply.)

• Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions. I just find it disappointing that this gets so touchy and there are so many irregularities.

That's been the nature of optical media since CD-Rs first came into being a little over 20 years ago. There have always been combinations of burners, discs, and players/readers that didn't work. But I would also say that things are generally better now, especially since media costs so much less so you can more easily afford a few coasters once in awhile. (The first CD-R discs I bought cost between $8.00 and $10.00 EACH.)

Thank you for the suggestions. I just find it disappointing that this gets so touchy and there are so many irregularities.

It would help if you were to answer the questions that were asked in earlier posts.

Many of us have found that the older or cheaper DVD players are more likely to play burned DVds. It is the newer player that often give problems.

You also stated you burned to a CS. Is that a typo and you meant DVD?

Why is it a copy of a movie from the 70's my friend gave me on a cd it plays on everything I have? This cd was made 5 years ago.

Why is it a copy of a movie from the 70's my friend gave me on a cd it plays on everything I have? This cd was made 5 years ago.

We don't know. We have no idea how the "CD" was made or what program was used. What is the file structure on that "CD"?

You keep mentioning CDs? Do you really mean that?

Right... as myguggi asked, is it really a CD? In which case, you're taking about a VCD disc.

But even if it's a DVD disc, we're back to starting with a different burner/disc combination that created it.