Sign in to follow this  
eruan

40 Gb Bluray File Doesn't Import (Hang)

Question

Hi,

I have a problem with Roxio NXT3.

Basically what I'm trying to do is import my film that is in .mkv format but it always results in an app hang. I also tried to import the same file but in .mov format with the same result. Please note that the .mkv file is the same film but with subtitles in there.

If I try a smaller size file, let's say 8-9GB, it seems to import, though it still takes a few minutes. BluRay file is roughly 40GB.

Is there anything I can do?

13 answers to this question

The File Size has nothing to do with it... I have never seen a contiguous BD file that big! They are broken into small pieces so a Player can work with them.

However if you can change the file format, can you cut the file in half?

Another area to check is your Disc Free Space... Video files exceed RAM so they load into a scratch pad files on your HDD. Editors only show you a 'window' of a small section of it. When ever you scroll it loads in another small section. So at a minimum, you need twice the size of the file free.

It's encoded using the maximum 50Mbps in Premiere. Higher bps, higher quality. Movie itself is 2h 40 long. I suppose it is quite large yes but it's not a problem for Encore. It's just that Encore doesn't seem to have menus on Blu Ray discs. So I wanted to give NXT3 a shot.

Cut it in half in Premier and load it.

Assuming that works, load the second half and combine them...

If you are in MyDVD at that time, "Edit" your first clip and that will place you in VideoWave.

In VW you can add your second half with the option of placing at the End of the first.

Back to MyDVD and play with the Menus ;)

ps - I cannot rule out an issue with a file of that size as I have never tried it -_-

What is the total TIME of this project? (now I want to try it :D)

Edited by Jim_Hardin

What camera/camcorder did you use to shoot the movie? Is the resolution higher than 1920 by 1080; Is it a 2k or 4 k video?

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a go. It will take a while.

50Mbps in Premiere. Higher bps, higher quality.

If that is 50 mega bytes per second?

20 minutes is 60GB.

Movie itself is 2h 40 long

How large is the file on your hard drive?

Target bitrate is CBR 50Mbps as far as I know. The file estimate is 53GB but in reality it comes out as 43GB. Compressed using H264.

Yes it's 1920x1080.

I don't have a note on this but I think 25mbps is the limit... try a copy at that bit rate and see what happens.

Unless you are trying for a 4K movie, I think you are kidding yourself by trying to exceed 25kbps... ;)

What do you mean by "append" in Post #10?

No! no subtitles....

It would be nice but if they add all the nice things, you end up with something like Sony Vegas Pro for $600 :huh:

Did you try the reduced rate test?

Edited by Jim_Hardin