KSA Rich

Copy And Convert For Converting Dvds To Play On Smart Tv?

Question

I'm looking for a reputable software (i.e. one without malware, pop-ups, etc.) free or for purchase that will allow me to convert my family DVD videos (Audio_TS and Video_TS files) to mp4 or avi to be copied to flash drive for playback on my smart TV. Will "copy and convert" do this or is there some other software I should be looking at?

16 answers to this question

What is wrong with just using Windows? Where did you get the _TS files?

The TS flles were generated when I had family VHS tapes converted to DVDs.

Right, home generated VHS tapes (and acutally some older 9mm) that were converted to DVDs. Now I want to play them on a smart TV as mp4 or AVI using a flash drive via USB port. In the future, I may get educated enough to connect the TV to a PC over Ethernet to play them from the PC hard drive. But for now, baby steps...

Put one or two the DVDs into you computer and take a screen shot of what you see. You posted in copy and convert. It will do what yu want IF they are your home videos AND the company that put the videos on the disc didn;t apply a copy protection. They do that because they want you to go to them for additional discs rather than to make your own.

Something to try (free) "Any Video Converter" but I don't know if it will take DVDs as input.

I made most of the DVDs from my home VHS movies via a combined VHS/DVD player-recorder. I looked at some "free" software but the couple tried didn't work and also loaded my PC with questionable pop-ups, and who knows what else. That's why my original post queried if the Roxio would work or some other. I don't mind paying for software that will do what needs to be done.

I made most of the DVDs from my home VHS movies via a combined VHS/DVD player-recorder. I looked at some "free" software but the couple tried didn't work and also loaded my PC with questionable pop-ups, and who knows what else. That's why my original post queried if the Roxio would work or some other. I don't mind paying for software that will do what needs to be done.

This doesn't agree with what you said before Quote "The TS flles were generated when I had family VHS tapes converted to DVDs."

Try buying the copy and convert; you have about 30 (15) days to return it if doesn't work for you..

Edited by sknis

Correct. I made most of the DVDs and some were created when I had old 9mm film converted by a 3rd party. In any case, the DVDs are mine and not subject to copyright. So from the comments provided, I take it no one has actually done what I'm looking to do. I could try the "convert/copy" software but was hoping to eliminate trial and error should it not work... Thanks for the comments.

I have done what you are trying to do many times using the Roxio software as well as several free converter programs. I have never used the "copy & convert" package though since it is a cut down version of the full Roxio packages/suites. Any pop-ups you receive from free software is because you allowed the installer to install those.

Edited by myguggi

Notice no "guru" in my tag line so i may be prone to mistakes. Is any one software better than the others based on your experience?

In the Roxio Lineup, the NXT Suites would be the best but are a lot of overkill for your task.

Like Walt, never even seen the Copy and Covert but have used the 'Copy and Covert' from within the NXT Suites...

(The Easy CD and DVD Burning has more limitations and is not suitable for your task)

It appears to be based on the Video Copy and Convert application from the NXT Suites. Based on that assumption I can tell you a few things...

Pros:

It will accept most forms of video input, including DVD Movies (non-copyrighted)

It uses 'canned settings' for output, so you should be able to find one to suit your requirements

Many of those 'canned settings' can be customized for a specific need (but not saved)

It can Copy a DVD Movie to another Disc (non-copyrighted and it is an exact copy - does not do data disc)

Cons:

It lacks any provision to edit or improve you clips so garbage in garbage out applies here

If you want a DVD Movie it will be without any menu or chapters

May not allow you to do Blue-ray or AVCHD (depends on version it was based on)

Web Video capture rarely even works

Keep in mind I am basing this on the existing VCC that comes with the NXT Suite.

Alternatives? I would say almost all Video Editing software will do this maybe even some "free ones" but when you have a full Suite you don't go looking ;)

Thanks. I'll review the NXT product.

This year's version should be released soon, if the company does it around the usual time. You may want to hold off any purchase until that happens.