Sign in to follow this  
nosix

Software Makes Nothing But Coasters

Question

I bought this software to backup my VHS tapes to DVD'S, not create coasters which is exactly what it has done to 7 out of 7 times so far and I would like to know why.

This is my project setup:

Step 1. I used the USB capture device to transfer a 2:23:16 home movie from a VHS tape to my hard drive.

Step 2. I imported the captured video into the software and clicked on the DVD Icon to burn it to a DVD.

Step 3. Since the video is over an hour long I split it up into 2 equal sections, which were approx 1:12:00 in length each.

(I would like to have split it up into 3 sections so each DVD was under an hour long, but apparently the software only allows you to split your movie into 2 parts, which is a HUGE oversight on the developers part.)

Step 4. I start the burning process and wait for the first disc to finish burning and once it is done I was presented with a dialog box that says to insert another dvd to finish the buring of the movie, which I do and press the okay button to continue the buring process,

Step 5. The second DVD then begins the burning process, but soon after a dialog box pops up that states (There was a problem writing to the disc) and I am forced to press the okay button on the dialog box which exits the project and I have to start over again from scratch,

This whole process has left me with 7 coaster DVD's (both -R and -R versions) from different manufuactures and I want to know why this is happening and how do I fix it.

4 answers to this question

Take a while to try this - check back later ;)

Later: I was wondering about this... I have only been able to get Split to work with a 2 hour movie, UNLESS a DL disc is used (works fine just at or under 2 hours with a 4.7GB disc)

If that is what you did (DL) you have to use a DL for both parts...

Supply more details -_-

Edited by Jim_Hardin

I thought it was obvious from the fact that I stated that I used 2 dvd's that they would be single layer (ie 4.7gb) dvd's, but I guess that was only obvious to me. Anyway, your reply does not do anything to answer the question I asked. I want to know why this piece of junk software does not do the task that it was designed to do and has left me with enough coasters to start a small garden party.

I thought it was obvious from the fact that I stated that I used 2 dvd's that they would be single layer (ie 4.7gb) dvd's, but I guess that was only obvious to me. Anyway, your reply does not do anything to answer the question I asked. I want to know why this piece of junk software does not do the task that it was designed to do and has left me with enough coasters to start a small garden party.

How about a real answer. You are using a program that was designed a long time ago and was update tweaked. Apparently the designers never thought that users would put more than a couple of hours on a DVD. More than that, the disc would have not enough space for the magnetic information needed. In most cases, cutting back on the magnetic information causes unwatchable video to be created with the codecs used in the program. That is why you need more space (DL discs)

If you really want to use a single layer DVD, capture the video to your computer. Use a free program to convert the video to a DivX or XVid format. That is a highly compressed format but perhaps the best of the kind. You should be happy with the results.. Here is some information about DivX. Note that some other Roxio programs have or had DivX conversion software. For the price, this one doesn't.

Just a note: It is very important to use best quality discs. Discs are sometimes made by the lowest bidder. Disc made for Memorex or as store brands are the worst of the bunch. Make sure you are using the best that are only a few $$ more. I use JVC Taiyo Yuden exclusively and have never had a bad disc. Verbatim are usually very good also. I am not saying that the disc media is your problem; just that it can contribute to problems in burning and playback.

Edited by sknis