dcortesi

How To Preview A Video Disk?

Question

On page 26 of the User Guide (http://help.roxio.com/toast/v14/main/en/user-guide/toast-14.pdf) it says you can preview a Video project by using File > Save As Disc Image. This takes quite a long time (same time as actually burning a disc, or nearly), but ends up creating a diskname.toast folder.

Then you are told to use Utilities > Mount Disc Image. The diskname.toast folder now appears as a mounted volume both in the sidebar of a Finder window and on the desktop. It contains two items, a file named "BDMV" with the QuickTime logo on it, and a folder named "CERTIFICATE".

The manual now says "Use the DVD player software... to preview the DVD."

In fact the DVD Player app says "There was a problem opening the media. The media type is not supported."

If I try to open the "BDMV" file by double-clicking it, the QuickTime Player app says only "Cannot open."

This is Mac OS 10.10.5, Toast Titanium 14.0.

Edited by dcortesi

4 answers to this question

You will be needing a Blu-ray software to play the mounted disc image. DVD player on MAC can only play DVD disc or disc image.

My Toast Titanium PRO 14 came with "Roxio Video Player" which will play the mounted image. I don't know if the non-Pro has this.

I will say that I loved the ability in iDVD to be able to preview the created DVD content. I don't see anyway to do this in TT Pro.

Edited by quattleb

This problem continues with Toast Titanium 14.2.

NOTE: >> When the format as set in the dropdown menu in the upper left is "High Definition DVD-Video" << then the folder created by File > Save As Disc Image can be mounted, but cannot be played back by any software included with Toast Titanium, or any app included with Mac OS.

HOWEVER: >> When the format is set to just "DVD-Video" (without the "High Definition"), the encoded disc image CAN be played by the Mac OS "DVD Player.app".

Note that the "encoding" stages for the lower format take several times as long as the "encoding" for the High Definition disc format. Go figure.

There is still a problem: If you control-click the new diskname.toast file and select Services> Mount It (the Roxio disk mounting service installed as part of Toast), you get an error message saying "The disc can't be used because the disc drive is not supported (error code 0x80020025).

This is only a minor problem because you can simply double-click the diskname.toast file and the DVD Player.app launches and plays the video.