Don't Shoot

Playback Issues

Question

The error message reads playback unavailable. When I put it in the computer and open the D drive, it shows a folder for Roxioplasma and video_TS. The roxioplasma shows dat and dmsd files. Video_TS shows BUP, ifo, and VOB files. When I click on the VOB files, they open up as blank, 7 second videos.

Here's what I did. Sorry if this seems a little too detailed, but you never know. Imported videos as MPGs. (I even went back to check the properties to make sure.) Opened up the project and went to export. Made sure that the video would fit within the time allowed and managed to leave with some time left over. Only destination drive allowed was D. Added a menu, added transitions, and pressed the burn button. BOTH TIMES, I stayed by the computer in case any error messages popped up. I didn't stop anything early.

HELP! And I'm not a techie but I like to understand, so if something doesn't make sense, I might ask extra questions. Also, this might have been answered before but I can't find it.

32 answers to this question

Does the other computer have VHSto DVD 3 installed? I don't think it has anything to do with the burner, I believe it is the way your are trying to use the program that is causing the problem

Can you post screenshots of

1-how you are adding the video file (there should be 4 in the list)

2-the screen just before you hit the burn button

The computer uses Windows 7. On the 3rd image, I have video showing and I hit record. On the last image, the only difference is that there is a recordable DVD in and then I press the "Burn" button. After that I don't touch or do anything until the disc ejects. I also have it set to where the computer does not go to sleep after a certain amount of time (just in case that messed anything up).

post-128294-0-77303700-1447219898_thumb.png

In the 2nd last image, you say you hit record video? Why? You already have the video imported? What happens if you hit the Play icon at this stage?

How did you import that video? I thought you were working with 4 video clips?

In the 2nd last image, you say you hit record video? Why? You already have the video imported? What happens if you hit the Play icon at this stage?

How did you import that video? I thought you were working with 4 video clips?

I think she is referring to the the Record Edit Save button???

You asked for how I added the files and a screenshot of just before I hit the burn button. I posted every step I took to get the video off the VHS, onto the EVD, and then onto the disc. When I put the disc into a DVD player or a Wii, the disc cannot be read. Below is what happens when I open the D drive or try playing it in Windows Media Player.

If I play it on the computer that I downloaded it from, everything works fine. If I play it on a different computer, one of two things happen. If I click the .MPG file on the first image, I get the cannot be played message that is the third image shown. If I click the .VOB file, the video is 7 seconds of a black screen. I'm not sure why they are showing up as .VOBs if I changed them to .MPGs. And it's like that on all of the DVDs not just the one I took pics of.

attachicon.gifDisc info.png

attachicon.gifDisc video TS.png

attachicon.gifDisc play.png

So I think I found the "smoking gun" but I'm gonna answer the questions first.

What does the term "...play it on the computer I downloaded it from" mean? (files are 'downloaded' from the internet. Everything else is Move or Copy/Paste)

• Not a techie at all. I meant the computer that I used EVD to get the video off the VHS, onto the computer, and (eventually) the disc.

And then the term, "If I click the .MPG file on the first image..." Where did the MPG file come from? How did it get to this computer?

• I played the disc on a different computer so that I didn't accidentally open the MPG saved to the HDD. When I open the D drive, this is what pops up. The MPGs are under the heading "Files Ready to be Written to the Disc".

attachicon.gifDisc info.png

What are the Operating Systems on these 2 PC? (as in XP, Win7, Win8, Win10)

• On the computer I used EVD on, no idea. It's the boyfriend's so if you tell me how to figure out which one it is, I'll look. On the one I'm using to play the discs, it's Windows 10.

What are you using for Playback on these two?

• On both, I've done it the same way. I open "my computer" and then open the D drive file.

When I tried viewing through Windows Media Player, it says that the disc is empty. I checked a few other discs that I had used to make sure and all showed the same thing.

attachicon.gifWindows media player.png