Sign in to follow this  
Walt Atwood

Dvd Transfer Won't Work

Question

I have an odd dilemma…

While in St. Louis in late October for the 50th anniversary of the Gateway Arch, I purchased a DVD movie: “Monument to the Dream” produced by Charles Guggenheim. It’s great 30-minute movie about the building of the Arch.

The DVD appears to be CSS copy-protected. My copy of Toast 9 will not try to dub the DVD contents in a computer file.

My mother’s laptop has no DVD drive. Our iPad naturally doesn’t have a DVD drive, either. How do I dub the contents of this DVD so I can use one of these devices to play the movie for a presentation to the Committee of Retired Boilermakers (Warren-based Arch builders) for their gathering on Dec. 8th?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

Hello Walt,

Unfortunately in the USA the Digital Millennium Copyright Act [DMCA] makes it a crime for anyone to crack the protection on a DVD, or even to possess software capable of breaking protection. For that reason Roxio software is designed to be incapable of doing that.

Anyone advising you how to break that law would also be liable to prosecution, and it would put the existence of this Support Board in great danger.

Yes, it does seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but "the Industry" has shown itself quite willing to wield huge and unreasonable power against small people.

For the above reasons I need to lock this topic. I am sorry, but I thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Brendon