outerbank

Windows Essentials 2012

Question

Anyone have experience with using Movie Maker, especially determining how to open this program after downloading and installing Windows Essentials 2012. Have made numerous attempts but thus far have not been able to either find it on the computer nor load it. Followed the instructions shown on various websites to enter Movie Maker in the search box. All that shows up is "Go on line to get Windows Essentials", which has been done a number of times. A search of Win 7 on C: drive has come up empty.

11 answers to this question

Look in 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features'

Do you see a entry for Windows Essentials 2012?

Are you download the OPK?

Windows Essentials OPK

The Windows Essentials OPK is available by download only; no physical media is needed to preinstall it.

1.66 GB here, https://oem.microsoft.com/downloads/agreement/Windows_Essentials/Windows_Essentials_2012_QFE_4_Multi_Lang_OPK.img

Edited by cdanteek

Only a thoroughly conflicted mind could devise such a convoluted system. Went through the laborious task of becoming a Microsoft member. Signed in and got to the POK download. Clicked on the download and was reverted to the page that describes the service and how to sign up for member ship. What am I missing. I only hope that downloading and installing Movie Maker will be worthwhile.

I agree the OPK is a waste of time and did not get me anywhere. It seems more pointed toward a business relationship. Clicked on the link you provided and got to the same place where I've been

before. The download is wlsetup-all.exe. It shows up in the Download folder so it's certainly downloaded onto the computer. Have downloaded and installed this several times. Each time after it is

run and completes the install a window opens and states that I already have the latest version installed. However, it doesn't appear on Programs, and when after going to Start and search and then

inserting Movie Maker in the search box, nothing comes up. I've been at this for several hours now spending time viewing the Win 7 users forum and generally Googling how to get Movie Maker. I do have the old version of Movie Maker on Win XP, but the video files I am working with are on Win 7 and I really don't want to download and install them in Win XP. Any other ideas?

The download file I get when I use my link above is: "wlsetup-web.exe" not what you posted.

Are you given the option to only install Photo Gallery and Windows Movie Maker?

Edited by myguggi

There are actually two download files that are available. One is 136 MB, that is the wlsetup-all.exe. The other is just 1.2 MB, that is the wlset-web.exe and I've tried both installer programs.

Neither have worked. The downloads and installers for Photo Gallery and Movie Maker are identical from what I can tell. Both Photo Gallery and Movie Maker must be installed even though the installers appear identical. In any event, downloading both and running them results in the same outcome. That is, the message is that the computer has the latest Windows Essentials installed, however nothing isshown in the "Programs" listing and a search of the Win 7 C: drive turns up Nada. Presumably,the larger installer includes all of the programs included in Windows Essentials 2012. This has been a

diabolical exercise in futility thus far. I am ready to just give up.

I have no idea what you are looking at but there is only one download button available when I look at my links website. There is only one installer and it installs both the Gallery and the Movie Maker

Do you not see this:

post-103-0-89720600-1449705739_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've been there and it's download wlsetup-web.exe install. Typed "Get Movie Maker" in Google to confirm what you describe is the same site I have been to previously. It is and it's the 1.2MB

file size setup. You'll notice that is states Movie Maker is included in the Windows Essentials 2012 program suite. I have already downloaded this onto the computer a number of times and have run setup to no avail. Each time it has been run a window opens stating that it has completed and the latest version is on the computer. The only "small" problem is that it isn't on the computer, and it has not

been found on the computer after many searches of Win 7, C: drive. I am now considering trying the install in clean boot. But again, at this point is it worth the effort? "Get it now" doesn't do it.

I don't know what you searched for but Movie Maker should be located in folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Photo Gallery\MovieMaker.exe if you installed correctly

Edited by myguggi

I know that it should be where you describe, but that folder doesn't exist on my computer. The last attempt at the install showed it was installing Windows Essentials 2012, and also showed the progress of the installation. Upon reaching 100% completion a message appeared indicating the program had installed. Where and if it did install on the computer, I have no idea where it is located. Typing

Windows Live, Photo Gallery or Movie Maker in the Start/Search box comes up with "Go online to get Windows Essentials". As to whether I performed the installation correctly, I have no idea of how else to do it. As a last resort the antivirus program was deactivated after opening the website "Get Movie Maker", clicked on "Get it Now". The message box at the bottom of the screen opened as it always

does asking if the download is to be saved or run. I chose run this time rather than save. As described earlier the installation began and progressed for several minutes. I didn't watch the progress

all the time it was going on but I did see it was installing "One Drive". Very frustrating.

My last attempt trying to install Photo Gallery and Movie Maker was made offline using the wlsetup-all.exe download. This is what Windows recommends if one chooses to install Windows Essentials 2012

offline. Disconnected from the internet. Deactivated the antivirus. Clicked on wletsup-all.exe. Window opens and offers two installation choices; either all or selected programs. Clicked on

selected programs and chose Photo Gallery and Movie Maker. The install progressed but only indicated that Microsoft One Drive was being installed. That's it. Nothing about installing PhotoGallery and

MovieMaker The install completed successfully. At least it was success for installing One Drive. Now I wonder if Photo gallery and Movie Maker are no longer available. According to various websites, Windows Essentials has gone through a number of iterations. Windows One Drive may be the last iteration of Windows Essentials. One Drive is for synchronizing different devices. Not something I need

or want.