Sign in to follow this  
segalsegal

Roxio Secure Burn 2.0 Failing Verification On Blu-Ray Disks

Question

I got Roxio Secure Burn 2.0 with a Hewlett Packard computer that I bought this month. When trying to burn Blu-ray disks I get verification failures almost all the time. I don't see this product on the list in these forums. Is this even a current product? The program has almost no interface, options or documentation.

Is there some way of getting some information on how to get things working? HP doesn't even know the specs of the Blu-ray burner they sold me with my computer, but I bought an external drive and Roxio Secure Burn 2.0 is still not working.

10 answers to this question

Are you using these discs for Data Storage vs BD Movie?

Are you attempting to use them multiple times?

Give a better idea of What you are doing and What you want it to do so we can try it out!

The Roxio Secure Burn is under Business Products, HERE. This seems to be like what is included with NXT 4 and I haven't really used it to any extent. Brendon has but he is off to visit family over the holidays.

There may be others but we really need to know what you want to do with it to advise you ;)

I'm using new discs, single-use, for data storage.

I tried another burn last night turning down the Verification to the Basic level ("A quick verification of the data is performed"), and the disc didn't fail verification. Previous attempts used Advanced ("A thorough verification of the data is performed. It takes longer but is recommended for highly sensitive data"). It passed the test, though a lesser test.

I finally found the Help, which is in a right-context menu. It says: "Verification: If you wish, Roxio Secure Burn will verify that all the files on your disc were burned correctly. Select Advanced for full verification, Basic to simply confirm that the lists of files on the source and destination match, or Off to skip verification. The greater the level of verification, the longer it takes to burn a disc."

So it seems that if you lower the standards of accuracy, you can pass the test. The question is what is the expected level of accuracy.

That sounds scary!

Let me try some and get back to you...

You did not mention your expectations for both accuracy and durability. Also how long do you expect these to endure?

Edited by Jim_Hardin

You did not mention your expectations for both accuracy and durability. Also how long do you expect these to endure?

I make copies of my data every few weeks to allow more ability to roll back to a particular time than other backup modalities that have rotating copies that get overwritten every few months. In the rare occasions I've actually used these backups it has been a few months to a few years later.

I make copies of my data every few weeks to allow more ability to roll back to a particular time than other backup modalities that have rotating copies that get overwritten every few months. In the rare occasions I've actually used these backups it has been a few months to a few years later.

Are you using BD-RE media?

Perhaps a read about at the link below might explain it better?

What does ‘Verify Disc’ Actually do After Burning to Verify the Data?

That was interesting background. On my previous computer I'd been using the 2007 version of Nero Suite, upgraded from an earlier version that came with a computer. DVDs would burn in about 20 minutes and then verify for 15 minutes. On the new computer, the Blu-ray discs show up in Roxio Secure Burn with an estimate of 15 minutes for burning, but take about an hour. The Advanced verification would take many hours to run (>5) and the Basic verification seems to take less, but I've only done Basic once so far (overnight), so I'm not sure how much less.

It seems the Roxio folks should know the answers.

If the Basic verification is similar to what I had before with Nero, I'm getting similar result to before. If the Advanced verification is the proper comparison, I'm worse off.

It is weird how poorly documented the process is.

BTW, my new computer has a 500 GB SSD hard drive. I assumed that would be good in general, but I wonder if there are any problems with writing discs. The new computer uses Windows 10 and the previous was Windows 7. Otherwise there should be no issues - fast processor, quad core, lots of RAM.

The "Roxio Folks" probably do know the answers, but we aren't them :lol:

If you like verification go with that, but know that even on a good day it is useless...

The "power" of your equipment is meaningless to the write speed and process of burning.

OEM versions of software have always had a reputation of being lacking... Windows has included burning software in its' OS for many years. Sounds like it would meet your requirements...

I use HDD's (2 for rotation) to make my backups. MUCH faster than optical media -_-

The "power" of your equipment is meaningless to the write speed and process of burning.

Apparently an underpowered system can have interruptions that can mess up burning, so I wanted to eliminate that possibility from consideration.