Stilt

Creator Nxt 4: Restore Backups From Earlier Versions?

Question

8 answers to this question

Probably not, since you generally need the same software to restore backups as you used to make them.

Tell me what sort of backups they are [files/folders; partitions; disk drives; whole system; disaster recovery] and what software and version they were made with, and I can perhaps go make some and try it with NXT 4 for you.

Regards,

Brendon

I used Roxio Creator NXT to backup a "Data" drive (partition) to DVDs.

I would think the new versions of Roxio's software would be backwards compatible in case someone has data on an old CD/DVD and needs to restore it (I would hate to think someone would have to dig out and install old software to access the data). I wouldn't think Roxio would change the backup format unless they came up with a better way of doing things.

I did a download when I purchased the software, but I can't find the disk I made. The file on my hard-drive got deleted when I tried a Windows 10 upgrade (I got careless). If I can find a download of the file somewhere online, I should be able to use my product key and re-install the my original NXT, but I always worry about viruses. Once I have access to my backups, I'll have my Roxio download. Kind of a "catch 22".

I would think the new versions of Roxio's software would be backwards compatible in case someone has data on an old CD/DVD and needs to restore it (I would hate to think someone would have to dig out and install old software to access the data). I wouldn't think Roxio would change the backup format unless they came up with a better way of doing things.

Forgive me if I choke on my coffee. Roxio has never been big on "backwards compatibility" and the features of their backup software have changed markedly over the years. That's why I needed to know those details I asked for.

I've found it essential to keep a working copy of my backup software with my backups. That goes for any backup software which makes other than a plain copy of your files, and not just Roxio.

Give me an hour or two while I install Creator NXT and have a poke around in there, and check it against NXT 4. I'm sure I can get you out of the hole in one way or another.

Regards,

Brendon

• Like 1

Hi Brendon,

I dug through some 3 year old backups and finally found some that weren't compressed. I found the Creator NXT files. I can get by with what I have for now, but eventually I'd still like to find out if the Creator NXT backup files can be restored by Creator NXT 4. I have a lot of old backups.

Sorry for the trouble, but if you did determine anything, I would like to know.

Thank you!!!

Stilt

Shall Do. I've just finished dealing with Vista for another person, so I'm free to look at this again now.

Please pop past in an hour or so in case I need to ask supplementary questions.

Cheers,

Brendon

Interim report: Successfully backed up a partition with BackOnTrack [boT] from Creator NXT, but couldn't restore it with NXT 4 under XP. It went totally doolally!

I knew NXT 4 'record your screen' was d.o.a. under XP, but I'm going to have to look further into the behaviour of BoT under XP.

Meanwhile, I'm now installing NXT 4 under Windows 7 to see if it will behave better. Good thing I'm not limited to 10 installs. :(

Final report: Got nowhere with BoT when trying to restore a backup made with BoT 14 from NXT, using BoT 17 from NXT 4.

post-208-0-39596300-1451372003_thumb.jpg

and the very detailed error screen which explains it all : (?)

post-208-0-77452800-1451372161_thumb.jpg

Sorry Stilt, it doesn't look like you're likely to be able to restore your old backups with NXT 4. I guess you need to find another copy of NXT. :(

Regards,

Brendon

Edited by Brendon

Stilt,

I've sent you a Private Message [PM] with some suggestions. Please click on the little envelope near the top right of your page to read it.

post-208-0-33327700-1451425168_thumb.jpg