19 replies to this topic

#1 OregonRebel

OregonRebel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:52 AM

I had tried burning some video files to DVD and disc images on my old computer running Yosemite, but the playback was always jerky.
Now I have a brand new computer with El Cap and the same thing happened tonight.
I did a fresh install of everything to this computer.

I haven't figured out if it's certain formats or all files, but the originals play perfectly on the computer but stutter when burned to an image or DVD.
Since the problem occurs in images created from the video files, it's obviously not my new media burner.

And I've spent the past several hours searching online for info about conversion for DVD players and basic Toast questions and didn't find answers so I'm posting them here.

Apparently mkv files need to be converted before they can be played in a DVD player?
My new DVD player supports all these formats, so do I still need to convert the files first?

3G2, 3GP, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AAC, AC3, ASF, AVCHD, AVI, DTS, Digital Photo Viewer (JPEG), FLA, FLAC, FLV, GIF, JPEG, LPCM, M2TS, M4A, M4V,
MKA, MKV, MOV, MP3, MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer), MP4, MPEG-1 PS, MPEG4-AVC, MPG, MPO, MTS, PNG, WAV, WMA, WMA9, WMV, XVID, Xvid

In the Convert window when choosing a device for playback, is HDV the correct format for burning 1080p video to DVD for playback in a Blu-Ray player?

What about 720p? Better to go with DV or MPEG-4?

It would be nice if the Toast manual actually explained ALL the functions and formats! You listening Roxio? :wacko:

#2 OregonRebel

OregonRebel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:07 PM

6066195.jpg

#3 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:11 AM

I had tried burning some video files to DVD and disc images on my old computer running Yosemite, but the playback was always jerky.
Now I have a brand new computer with El Cap and the same thing happened tonight.
I did a fresh install of everything to this computer.

I haven't figured out if it's certain formats or all files, but the originals play perfectly on the computer but stutter when burned to an image or DVD.
Since the problem occurs in images created from the video files, it's obviously not my new media burner.

And I've spent the past several hours searching online for info about conversion for DVD players and basic Toast questions and didn't find answers so I'm posting them here.

Apparently mkv files need to be converted before they can be played in a DVD player?
My new DVD player supports all these formats, so do I still need to convert the files first?  

3G2, 3GP, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AAC, AC3, ASF, AVCHD, AVI, DTS, Digital Photo Viewer (JPEG), FLA, FLAC, FLV, GIF, JPEG, LPCM, M2TS, M4A, M4V, MKA, MKV, MOV, MP3, MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer), MP4, MPEG-1 PS, MPEG4-AVC, MPG, MPO, MTS, PNG, WAV, WMA, WMA9, WMV, XVID, Xvid

In the Convert window when choosing a device for playback, is HDV the correct format for burning 1080p video to DVD for playback in a Blu-Ray player?

What about 720p? Better to go with DV or MPEG-4?

To author a proper DVD-Video or Blu-ray Video, you'll need to use software like Toast. I refer to the structure (file system, folders, files) and specifications, not the media (disc) per se. Making such a video disc is a different route in Toast than doing any other conversion.

Some set top players can play other formats too, besides DVD-Video, e.g. MKV, like yours is listed to be capable of. The MKV file may be on a DVD disc, an external drive, or networked drive, if supported by the player. But MKV is a very versatile container format; it can have just about any codecs for video and audio inside it, with all kinds of settings, which may or may not be compatible with your set top player. If a player is listed to be capable of playing MKV, you should read that as “at least some MKV files have successfully played”. It is probably player specific (make, model, decoder chipset, firmware), so perhaps look for forums about your set top player.

If you need to convert, I would suggest trying first MPEG-4 H.264/AVC video with MPEG-4 AAC audio (for stereo), in an MP4 or MKV container. If that works, you'll have a solid base to fall back on. I believe it is also the default for conversion to MKV with Toast.

HDV and DV are recording formats. I wouldn't recommend them for “end-format” playback conversions.

#4 OregonRebel

OregonRebel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

I tried two conversions in Toast on the 2.7 GB file and both had jerky playback.
I tried H.264 and HDV. One of them turned my file into a 37.5 GB file!

There are only 7 formats listed for conversion that aren't for Apple devices, video game systems, mobile devices or Internet.
So one or more of those 7 must be the intended formats for a standalone DVD player.

185460b.png

I did discover that the DVD player will play my files directly from a USB flash drive, no burning necessary.

But I don't understand why every video I convert plays jerky even when saved as dmg.

Edited by OregonRebel, 10 January 2016 - 09:02 PM.

#5 tsantee

tsantee

Digital Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,131 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

Hi, sorry I haven't been paying attention to these forums for the past several months. Since your Blu-ray player accepts so many different video formats, just burn the source video using the DVD-Rom (UDF) setting in the Toast Data window. That should turn out the same as if you played the video from the USB flash drive and save you lots of time as well.

I recall discussing the jerky video problem back when I was paying attention but don't remember exactly how I resolved it. It may have to do with the frame rate of the source videos is not 29.97 or 30 frames per second.

Edited by tsantee, 19 January 2016 - 11:07 AM.

I'm just a fellow Toast-user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may provide. And do let me know if your issue gets solved. Cheers from Eugene, Oregon!

#6 OregonRebel

OregonRebel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

I dropped the mkv in the Video window, set Format to DVD-Video and saved it as a toast image.

Mounted the image and opened it with DVD Player and it's still jerky.

88ce26a.png

Now I'll try the DVD-Rom you suggested. There's gotta be more than one format that's supposed to be able to convert an mkv to a playable format.

What if I wanted to convert it to mp4 or something for someone else to play on their Mac or PC? Surely one of the conversion formats should work?

Edited by OregonRebel, 20 January 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#7 OregonRebel

OregonRebel

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

Well that didn't work either, the video is as jerky as ever.

Only took a matter of minutes though to save as a DVD-Rom (mp4).

VLC and Elmedia Player both play it the same.

Edited by OregonRebel, 20 January 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#8 Manfred33

Manfred33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:48 AM

I have had the same issues with jerky playback after converting....  But not with .mkv files- not had much like converting those as i recall, mainly with .avi and .mp4s.  I honestly don't remember the last OS that Toast worked fine with, probably pre-Mavericks maybe.... but when I had Toast 11, I converted movies all the time with no problem, no jerkiness, only if there was some issue with the file i was converting.  Ever since updating to Toast 14 and at least Mavericks or Yosemite, it hasn't worked right since.  And they even updated 14 that was supposed to fix the problem and that hasn't worked either.  Very frustrating.... Anybody at all know the solution???

#9 WesA

WesA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:17 AM

I starting having the same issue about a month ago (Mid Jan. 2016).

When I burn a disc from a VIDEO_TS folder (from both Toast 12 & 14) the video plays fine unless Toast needs to compress the file to fit on a D5 disc (4.7GB). In ALL cases I can convert the file with Handbrake for use in iTunes to my AppleTV and everything works fine. This tells me the file is fine until Toast gets ahold of the file.

I have tried to get around this problem by creating conversions of the VIDEO_TS folder to get a clean copy: .iso, .avi, .mkv, .m4v and mp4 and then creating an image file of each format as well, so they can be compressed.

In ALL cases a jerky file is created after compressing the video. I have opened the image files on my Mac and use DVD Player to view the movie and the jerkiness is there prior to burning.

If I take any of these converted files (i.e. m4v) and use "Burn" to convert and then burn the file to disc I can get a clean backup disc of my movie. "Burn" creates a .mp4 file that is a bit to over compressed but I still get an acceptable copy.

FYI: I make backups of all my movies after my complete collection of W.C. Fields movies went bad, all 10 discs (the discs delaminated after only 4 years).

iMac 27", 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, 3TB HD, OSX10.11.3

#10 Grafkaal

Grafkaal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:27 AM

I tried everything I could but still got jerky playback.

I then dug out an old copy of Toast 9 and low and behold the DVD encoded and played with no jerkyness at all.

The only draw back was it took all night to encode!

I am using an older Mac, iMac late 2009 running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Not sure what Roxio has changed in the way the encoding work but all versions I have tried at work have the jerky playback problem. (I haven't tried 15 yet!)

Toast 9 is still available on Amazon.

#11 akaufer

akaufer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

I had the same problem with Toast Titanium 15 running under OSX 10.11.6 producing jerky playback from mp4 input files (1280x720, 2.5 Mbits/sec, AVC coding).

What solved it for me was to open the mp4 files with QuickTime Player 7 and immediately save them again as mov files (option self contained movie).

Encoding the mov file with Toast 15 then to DVD Video gives the expected results!

Looks like repackaging the mp4 container to the mov container makes the difference.

Hope this works for others, too.

#12 Manfred33

Manfred33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

I had the same problem with Toast Titanium 15 running under OSX 10.11.6 producing jerky playback from mp4 input files (1280x720, 2.5 Mbits/sec, AVC coding).

What solved it for me was to open the mp4 files with QuickTime Player 7 and immediately save them again as mov files (option self contained movie).

Encoding the mov file with Toast 15 then to DVD Video gives the expected results!

Looks like repackaging the mp4 container to the mov container makes the difference.

Hope this works for others, too.

Uhhhh, I assume you have the Pro version of QuickTime 7?  Otherwise it is not possible.  Upgrading to Pro is no longer an option either, since Apple no longer supports QT7....

I am still looking for a solution to this problem, so if anybody else has figured something out that works, would be of great help.....

#13 jmusich

jmusich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

Has anyone had better luck with the 15 ? Smooth qt video and when toast 14 touches it and it starts skipping. I can play the the qt files through my wd cloud and everything is fine there also. It has to be toast. I am trying the convert with qt7 idea. I can use the mac burn DVD and the files are carried there smoothly also. However I cannot use the DVD in a stand alone DVD player. It comes up as a data disk.

#14 jmusich

jmusich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

Okay so opening the files in QT 7 and saving as mov files did work to eliminate the jerkies And the DVd will also play in my set top player. So that settles it. Something is wrong with Toast 14. And the poster who p[ut that in this chain used the trkick with 15. So the errror has not been fixed. So this has been going on for probably 15 wasted dvds for me before I csme to the post. As well as the repurchasing of two dvds that I probably would not have needed to. I am running osx 10.12.4. I must report that encode the files with the mov suffix took forever and ever and ever. Although I have not tried it it maybe possible to just amed the suffix from mp4 to mov. I have no idea who to turn to for more techical help or toast support.

#15 jmusich

jmusich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

If you change the suffix from MP4 to mov and then burn in toast the results will not be jerky. So apparently qt7 is not not needed.

#16 jmusich

jmusich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:28 PM

I just installed toast 15 to check to see if I could burn an mp4 into a dvd without the jesrkiness. The file i used was one of the same that I had last changed to an mov to check to see if the mov would do away with the jerkiness. Well as you would suspect when burned the file as an mp4 it is jerky even under tost 15.. Something is very wrong with toast 15 and it was also wrong under 14.   

#17 jmusich

jmusich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

I contact service on the matter. And also the fact that I bought the blue ray plugin when I did not need to. The plugin is from toast 11. The process is befuddling.

#18 theoldarchiver

theoldarchiver

Digital Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:57 PM

I contact service on the matter. And also the fact that I bought the blue ray plugin when I did not need to. The plugin is from toast 11. The process is befuddling.

The “Toast High-Def/Blu-ray Disc Plug-in” is for Toast 11, 12, 14 and 15 [1]. Don’t try to make it worse than it is.

Edited by theoldarchiver, 02 May 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#19 jmusich

jmusich

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

When you install an upgrade from disk the pop up windows are uninforming of the fact that the plugin is the same. It was only after the repurchase in reading that I discovered that.

#20 Peter Mintun

Peter Mintun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

According to these comments, no fix works for this jerkiness. So does that mean we just give up on Roxio Toast and buy another software?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users