Bob Porter

Old Vhs Tape Noise

Question

A 1988 wedding tape of me and my wife just surfaced. Picture is OK but there is a constant "bang" every 5 secs. or so. Other tapes play and sound OK. My wife passed away 14 November and I would really like to get this fixed. I am not a tech wiz-73 years old here. Just some help or ideas. I would post my email here but am scared to do so. Thanks to anyone who could help or tell me where to go. TIA

25 answers to this question

Hi Bob, good idea NOT to post your email ;)

I am guessing that you have one of the Easy VHS to DVD products OR you have one of the Creator Suites and bought the USB Capture device separately???

Which one do you have and what version (Help-About within the program)? I want to move this to the proper forum and it may have an impact on the answer.

I don't really have an answer for this, so if someone does recall the solution, please feel free to jump in here :D

Edited by Jim_Hardin

1. Run the tape back and forth a few times and re-try it.

2. Adjust the VHS tracking and see if it fixes it.

3. Re-check your audio connections and or try a different cable.

4. Try another VHS player.

Sorry for your loss.

There is software ou there that may be of some help. I assume that you have the entire tape alread captured. Download the trial of "GoldWave" (link). Play around with it, it should be able to remove that sound especially if it is repetitive. They do have a forum and good tech support.

There are others out there, Google for them. Some may have trials an might work better. Since this is important to you, take your time to get it right.

• Like 1

If you could capture and post a few seconds of the audio here so we could hear it, that might help make some suggestions too. (You should be able to attach a .MP3 file. Use the link below in my signature about posting pictures if you have trouble figuring out how to attach a file.)

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. Before I joined you were the people who I thought could help me the most. That's why I joined. Let me see what I can-simplest first. Trust I am way behind the people on this board. TIA

I posted earlier but nothing showed up so doing again. As the tape plays longer the sound finally goes away. I tried the "run back and forth" suggestion first and tracking changes, restarted-no change. I will try the others when able. Thank you here.

Edited by Bob Porter

Checked cable connections. OK. Tried different cables and types of connections. Nothing changed. Don't have another player. Will try posting the sound-this will set me back mentally LOL. I have a gut feeling it is the tape or the sound of the camera man's watch. I'll report back. Thanks again all.

Digital Guru -By captured do you mean "Do I already have the tape on a CD. The answer is no just the tape I am playing. The noise is on the played tape on all tries to fix. TIA

Thanks for the update Bob!

You started by saying there was a 'bang' every 5 sec or so. But in your last post, you indicate the audio fades as the tape plays and eventually is lost.

You also mention that you have the tape on a "CD". Do you mean DVD?

Either way, if it is the same tape and it is OK on that media, we can import it into the program and forget the tape.

Lastly, you did not mention what program/version you have -_-

Like I said DG I am a novice when it comes to this. I have a VHS tape (1988) that I wish to put on a DVD.I bought a chinsey unit to do this (Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 HD) with my older tapes. Before I started I played the VHS and heard the noise. As I went through the tape it eventually left-after a good 15 minutes or so. Before I transferred from one to the other I wanted to eliminate the noise. If that was the right way to go. I am really not the guy who knows much about this kind of stuff. I get by with PC and tech stuff but I know what I don't know just as well. I just appreciate being pointed in the right direction. I thought of taping the noise on a cassette (not an 8 track LOL) then using your link to Goldwave to see what I learn. Where I am right now. But thanks so much for all input. TIA

Here is where the Novice is now. I have got the sound/noise on a micro cassette. Next figuring out how to get Goldwave to copy this so I can post. Thanks to DG

The micro cassette isn't necessary. You can simply feed the audio (red/white) output of your VCR into the line-in of your PC. You'll need a "Y" cable that goes from two RCA plugs to a stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) plug. The RCA plugs will go into the audio outputs of your VCR, and the stereo plug will go into the line-in of your PC. (Possibly a blue or red connector.) Then you can use Goldwave to record the sound onto your PC.

If your PC comes up with a message that "you have plugged something into" an audio jack, hopefully it will come up with an option for you to tell it what you plugged in, and you need to tell it that you plugged a "line input" into it.

Let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

Tried to register on Goldwave but have no idea what the skill test numbers are and could not fin out. Been sick last 2 days so have done little. Thanks DG>

Bob, Did you download it directly from one of the GoldWave servers? Here. I have no ideas what skill test numbers are. Did you inadvertently download/install some malware? I just re-downloaded GoldWave and opened it. There is no information that pops up relating to GoldeWave and test numbers.

If you have that capture on your computer, navigate to it and right clcik to see if you can extract the audio. If so post it (or at least part of it with the clicks to your reply. I;ll see what I can do about cleaning it.

Edited by sknis
  • Like 1

Thanks DG tried hooking it up differently but I will have to go out and get a Y cable. Also let me try again I believe I tried to Register with out a product and the test numbers must be some sort of product code??? I really thank you for your time and trouble. You may nor hear from me for the weekend. Have a safe good one. Bob

I can see your download link will work-at least I did that without screwing up-LOL

Edited by Bob Porter
  • Like 1

No requirement to register with GoldWave. It should just open. Post the link where you downloaded the program.

• Like 1

DG How can I ever say thanks enough. I used your link to get the cable unfortunately it may take a while to get here. If I would have know how long I would have passed. But I promise when I get this set up-downloaded-etc. I will defiantly post. I am totally lost without your expertise. Thank you till next time.

You didn't really order from the Canadian Amazon site. :(

That was an example only, Walmart, Best Buy, Radio Shack, Staples etc, etc, also some Dollar stores, sell them.

Edited by ogdens

DG I have the wiring now to do the recording. But unfortunately I also have got pneumonia so will be able to do it now as too weak. I will get back to you when able. Please keep me as good for now

DG This site is driving me crazy. I have hooked up my VHS player to my computer and can get NO sound out no matter what I do. Much less get anything on Goldwave so you can hear it I could get nothing on there when I tried. I'm about to give up this stuff is beyond me. I need step by step instruction or a doctor. When playing the VHS tape I could hear nothing.

Have audio ut from my VHS player into the only plug in that the line will go into and still noting.

Edited by Bob Porter

Bob - unless you have a bunch of tapes to convert, you should consider getting this done by a company that specializes in this...

I always did my oil changes, tire rotations, etc. But as I passed 70, I find I enjoy sipping coffee in the waiting room more :D

I see Plenty in your neck of the woods (Penn's Woods?)

post-39730-0-58857400-1454108391_thumb.jpg

Thanks DG. yes I was thinking along those lines. I am 73 and even though my mind can do many things the body is out to lunch. And after this bout of pneumonia I am just getting in gear. I live just outside of Philadelphia (Northeast) and I imagine there is someone I can contact. I'll check it out. I really want to thank you for what you did do for me, it is very much appreciated. Good luck and good health to you sir. Bob Porter