Sign in to follow this  
SyncToGreen

Easy Vhs To Dvd 3 On Win10.. Works Okay Until I Try To Implement The Roxio Win10 Update Download

Question

I've installed easy vhs to dvd 3 quite a few times whenever I wipe my win7 system and do fresh installs. No problem. Okay, so I did a fresh install of windows 10 Pro 64bit on one of my laptops, installed easy vhs to dvd3 from the original cd, plugged in the interface, all came up as normal.. and THEN double clicked on the recent update I downloaded from Roxio that has something to do with win10 compatibility.

I double click on the update file on my c drive... program says "can't find easy vhs to dvd 3 installed on this computer". Hmm... so I copied the update INTO the Roxio dir at c:\program files86... double click it there and... same message. I re-downloaded the update.... same thing.

What's up with that? For as little as I use the program for transfers nowadays, I'm about to assume that it's just going to work fine on win10 without the update..... whatever the update is.

I haven't seen this issue come up via google searching, so I'm inclined to think I'm the only one having it.

Any thoughts before I forget trying to get the update to see the program?

7 answers to this question

I seem to recall seeing that with the update & Win10...

Don't have installed at the moment on my Win10 PC but I know most who tried it didn't experance any issues. I would suggest that you download and install the Revo Uninstaller. Then run it in Moderate Mode to remove any traces of EVD3.

Reboot and install EVD3 using only the default locations. Reboot and try the patch.

I'll try to get my EVD3 & Win10 running today, but don't count on it :lol:

Thanks. No rush. I fired up one of my win7 pro 64bit machines where vhs to dvd3 is installed, plugged in the interface, and as an experiment, ran the Roxio update. Worked fine there.... but of course, the win7 machine doesn't need a win10 compatibility update.

Rather than uninstalling vhs to dvd from the win10 machine, I'll just wipe the drive and restore an image of the fresh install from a few days ago pre-Roxio. As I'm in the midst of building ou the win10 configuration and testing programs as I go, it's faster for me to go back to step 1 with the win install. So far, all my win7 programs work great on win10 tests... even some of my ancient win98se based midi programs are just fine. vhs to dvd3 was the first glitch. Although like I say, maybe I don't even need the win10 patch... the program and interface seem to be working fine without the update... on first tests anyway.

I did the original cd install using default locations. In fact the locations match on my win10 and win7 computers when I take a look at where the folders are. Don't know why the update can't find things.... such is life with computers.

Edited by SyncToGreen

Just so you know, some of Roxio's software is limited in the number of installs you are allowed :huh: Varies from 10 to 20...

Likewise, some software may run on Win 10 for a time then start to fail.

Okay, I figured out what was going on. Primarily... I shouldn't have downloaded anything from the support download area. Instead, I needed to install the program and then use the update tab within the program itself. That proceeded to install two updates to my installed version, with the second update being the same thing that was on the support pages. There was an in-between update I was missing via the way I was trying to do things.

So, all is good. The program and interface are working fine with win 10 Pro.

I'll just wipe the drive and restore an image of the fresh install from a few days ago pre-Roxio.

May I ask what software you use for that? I use Acronis TI.

I shouldn't have downloaded anything from the support download area. Instead, I needed to install the program and then use the update tab within the program itself.

Do you mean when it asks to check for updates when installing?

May I ask what software you use for that? I use Acronis TI.

Do you mean when it asks to check for updates when installing?

I tried Acronis a few times when it was supplied with new drives in ancient days. But mostly, I've used Ghost for years... ever since the dos version for win95/98. My Ghost 15 doesn't work with WIndows 10, so after some investigation, I switched to Macrium Reflect Free. Works great for my purposes... even resembles Ghost in its workflow. And can't beat the price which is free.

I probably breezed by any "check for updates" while installing the vhs to dvd program. I sometimes do that. On a last-resort test while the original cd-based install was up, I clicked on the upper left hand "support" tab and then "look for updates". Did it a total of two times until I got the message I was all up to date.

My only problem with vhs to dvd is that other than testing it to be sure it captured okay etc, I can't find the time to actually do the transfers of all my home videos from the 80s/90s when my kids were young. I've gotta get on it. The tapes are in a climate controlled storage area, but gheez, I must have a hundred of them :)