Terrific

Escalation Of Issues Beyond "support"

Question

I am having issues that support is not addressing satisfactorily, and I wish to escalate my issues higher up the management chain. I feel there has been false advertising of a bundle of products and that hundreds of customers have not gotten was was advertised. Support that has contacted me repeatedly seems to lack a grasp of the English language and to have no authority to do the right thing. Even when I was willing to settle for a $14.95 US upgrade to be given to me in order that I receive the product I was sold, for the sake of $14.95 support continues to jerk me around and play stupid tricks about pretending to misunderstand me. I am not going to just go away and will continue to seek someone at Roxio or Corel who will do the right thing until I find them. The only question is, but the time I do, how many other customers will also be upset and will a class action be necessary to resolve all our problems. After many many emails over a two month period, many of them simply nonsensical, I give up trying to go through support. If they do know how to escalate to management, then they are refusing to do so, because the responses I have been getting are not at all managerial.

Who can direct me to someone with the gravitas, common sense and grasp of English to actually solve this problem for me?

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

Well, you've found a user's forum, and sometimes we can get things working that "support" can't. Why don't you detail your issues, what you have, what you've tried, and the results here, and see if someone here can help you out?

I think the help I need is contact info for management.

I bought a bundle of products advertised as a Thanksgiving special, and advertised again at Christmas. The bundle included WinZip 19.5 which was advertised as having a retail value of $29.95. When I registered WinZip, I got a notice from them that this was an obsolete product. They are only selling the new version for $29.95. I feel ripped off, I didn't get the value I paid for, I didn't save the amount on the bundle that the ad claimed I would save. Even worse, they continued to run the identical advertising clear though the Christmas season and email me the offers. It is simply false advertising, the obsolete version of WinZip they were shipping does not have a retail value of $29.95 and isn't even available for sale anymore.

The upgrade to it costs $14.95. After many emails back and forth, a "manager" at the support desk offered to "give me" $14.95 for the new version of WinZip. I accepted the offer, and asked how they were going to send me the money, why didn't they just buy the upgrade for me and send me the download instead. No answer. I wrote two more times, finally getting a response. They wanted ME to spend the $14.95 to upgrade my WinZip and provided the link to do so, making it sound like some kind of special deal. It's not a special deal at all, and they are doing nothing at all for me or any of the other customers who they have victimized with false advertising.

What really ought to happen here is a class action suit, and hundreds or maybe thousands of people ought to get $14.95 back so they can buy the upgrade, or, get $29.95 back and return their obsolete WinZip version.

Hello,

You haven't said who you bought this "bundle of products" from - in fact nothing except that it included "WinZip".

WinZip has never been a Roxio product. Can you please point me to a link to the people you bought it from? A screenshot of the advert, perhaps?

Or since you've been emailing them back and forth, how about just telling us who you have been dealing with?

Regards,

Brendon

post-129130-0-27001900-1453267412_thumb.pngpost-129130-0-39629600-1453267413_thumb.pngpost-129130-0-91432100-1453267413_thumb.pngpost-129130-0-94619200-1453267414_thumb.png

I've been receiving emailed advertisements from Roxio, although when I purchased using the provided links the vendor was Digital River. To my surprise, when I opened support requests on any of the products (I had three different problems) the all came back as Corel support requests. Corel seems to have purchased all of these brands and products, as you can see on the Corel web site under products, and in the screen shot attached. There are also four screen shots of the Roxio advertisement claiming WinZip 19.5 had a $29.95 value while at the same time if was not even being sold as it was obsolete. It took four screen shots to go vertically down the emailed ad.

This somewhat illustrates my difficulty in finding out where to get the issue resolved, though. Purchase from a ad received from Roxio, get a receipt from Digital River, register each of several products with different apparently different companies and get confirmation emails from those companies, then open support requests with some of them and always hear back from Corel instead of the company I opened the request with. Except, Corel support is really useless when the issue is about false advertising.

There are no links on the Corel web site for "I've had enough and I want to complain to somebody in management with the authority to help me so I can try to convince them they should."

So Brendon, do you have any contacts to help me, or were you just curious or convinced I didn't know what I was talking about?

post-129130-0-50075400-1453267414_thumb.png

I was perplexed, as you hadn't given us much information to go on. I think I see now what has happened.

Roxio has been subject to a string of takeovers or acquisitions, where the companies acquiring Roxio (Sonic, Rovicorp, etc) have in turn been gobbled up by larger fish.

post-208-0-10302100-1453277380_thumb.jpg

It seems that the biggest fish in these ventures is currently Corel, and they're using Roxio [among others] to try and maximise their cashflow with quick sales. Since Roxio is the little fish out the front (as it were) it's just bait, and I don't think you'll get to Corel management through the littlest fish. I certainly have no idea how to reach the policy makers or owners of Corel. My Roxio contacts went when Roxio was gobbled. I'm sorry.

Regards,

Brendon

I agree with Brendon, it's going to be difficult to get in touch with the "right person" to complain to about this. As you've noted, you haven't had success, and I would say that the "obfuscation" is intentional. (Have you ever watched, "The Incredibles"? I'm thinking of the scene in the insurance office where the manager is complaining about people getting through the system and actually getting their claims approved, despite all the roadblocks that are put in their way.)

The other problem I see is one of "value." When WinZip 19.5 was sold, it was probably sold for $29.95. The fact that it was no longer being sold when it was offered to you as a "free" add-on to your purchase, does not necessarily mean that it was not still worth $29.95. It may not have been worth that much to you, but the offerer can value it as they see fit. That is only my opinion, and is not meant to cast aspersions on your purchasing choice, or your disappointment with what you received.

Roxio/Corel has offered bundled programs in the past and rarely is the 'bundle' the current version :huh:

NXT 4 comes bundled with Corel's PaintShop Pro X7. Of course X8 is the current version. This is 'normal' for the industry and rarely are "bundles" the full or latest versions.

We can and will call your post to the attention of Support. While he lives on the other side of the world and English is not his first language, I am sure he will overlook your bigoted remarks and try his best to help you -_-

Question, why didn't you just return the products and move on? :unsure:

After a bunch of returns someone in management should get the picture you would think. :blink:

Refund Policy

Roxio has a 30-day money back guarantee* for products purchased directly from Roxio through our online store or over the telephone with our Inside Sales department. Shipping charges will not be refunded. To request a refund, please go to www.findmyorder.com and login with your order details then click Return.

*Note: The Return option will be removed after 30 days from the date of purchase.

Purchases made from vendors other than Roxio are subject to the return and/or refund policies of the vendor and cannot be returned through Roxio or Digital River.

Note: Personalized Items as well as Shipping and handling charges are non-refundable.

Roxio/Corel has offered bundled programs in the past and rarely is the 'bundle' the current version :huh:

NXT 4 comes bundled with Corel's PaintShop Pro X7. Of course X8 is the current version. This is 'normal' for the industry and rarely are "bundles" the full or latest versions.

We can and will call your post to the attention of Support. While he lives on the other side of the world and English is not his first language, I am sure he will overlook your bigoted remarks and try his best to help you -_-

It think most of the people involved were preferring the use of female pronouns, not male ones, but will also overlook your bigoted remarks.

My remarks come from the fact that I am having trouble communicating with the support people. They make offiers such as "If you would like to get the Winzip 20 the most that I can give you is $14.95 for the upgrade. " and then it turns out what they actually meant was that I would pay the $14.95, like anybody else, and that they aren't "giving me" anything at all. How can you negotiate or even discuss with someone who you don't understand and who doesn't understand you? It is not bigoted to expect to be served in the language which the product was sold to you in and which is normal for your market.

Because something is normal doesn't make it right. If it is normal to sell obsolete products in bundles while claiming they have the same value as they did before they were obsolete, then we are all in trouble as that is at least unethical and in many places is illegal advertising. I think the norm is actually selling products that will soon be obsolete but aren't yet. When I bought the bundle, X7 was still current, and X8 came out afterward by a few weeks. However, when I bought the bundle, and for some time after I bought it, they were advertising and shipping a WinZip version that was already obsolete. WinZip told me it was obsolete on the very day I registered it, and tried to hit me up for money to upgrade it. I have that email too. Its doubly shocking to find now that they are all the same company and so should know what is obsolete and what isn't, but Roxio's marketing crew are off doing their own thing it seems.

I think it is important to note that the WinZip program was not advertised as "Free" anywhere in the ad. It was simply part of the bundle and advertised as having a retail value of $29.95 at a time when I was referred to by the company elsewhere as obsolete and not for sale.

Edited by Terrific

Question, why didn't you just return the products and move on? :unsure: - Well, at first I considered it. However, one of my questions to support involved the deinstallation of existing software. When I went to install the bundle, a requestor popped up asking my permission to remove software without specifying what software it wanted to remove. I suspected it wanted to remove existing products, but since it was a bundle, I didn't know how many or which ones. I didn't yet know if I would want to keep the new products, or would they be buggy. So I tried to contact support by phone but of course they were closed. I opened a support request and sat for several days with the requestor still open on my desktop, waiting for support to tell me which products they wanted to remove. I was worried that since I long ago and several moves ago got some of them, I probably couldn't manage to reinstall them all if I had to, once they were removed. It took support a month to NOT answer my question. By then, since the products were bought online through Digital River, the return period of 30 days had passed.

Meanwhile, after several days of waiting for support to tell me what software of mine they intended to remove in the install process of the bundle, I gave up and pressed OK, taking a big chance by doing so. Not all of the products in the bundle installed, some were missing. This also generated a support request, to find out where the missing items were, which also took forever to be answered.

Meanwhile, WinZip WAS installed and I registered it, immediately receiving a notice from WinZip that it was an obsolete product and I should buy an upgrade. So I opened a third support request about that.

After a few weeks, Corel wrote me and told me they were going to merge my support requests together, but didn't answer any of them.

After a few more weeks, Corel wrote to me and said they had suffered some system problems and misplaced by request, and now wondered if I still wanted to wait for assistance? I said yes, of course I did.

After a few more weeks, and some complaining on my part, a gentleman called on the phone who sounded like a native english speaker and perhaps located in North America. We recapped the issues to date, and than I had given up and installed the software, had software I already owned removed in the process with no way to get it back, had found the other products of the bundle buried in a sub directory with no instructions to look there and installed them, and just had two problems left. One problem was that I needed the WinZip issue resolved, and felt I was owed a current copy of WinZip at the time of the sale. It would only take $14.95 at retail to give me this, and must less at internal cost, but the person I spoke to didn't actually have that much authority and said he would refer the issue back to management.

The other issue Is still have, which the caller also promised to refer back to technical suspport, is that under Windows 7 a process called "Roxio Burn Launcher" seems to have a memory leak. After just a couple days of Windows 7 running, the Roxio Burn Launcher process uses in excess of 2GB of memory up in my machine, and eventually it grows until Windows is so slow it is unusable and has to be rebooted. Using sysinternals tools, I can keep deleting the process and then Windows works for a couple of week at a time, but I shouldn't have to and there is a problem with the process. The process just sits ready to notice if someone inserts a blank DVD, and it is preposterous that it should grow its memory requirement to over 2GB of Ram while it sits there and waits.

But meanwhile - Digital River only accepts returns for refunds for 30 days which have expired, and if I could get a refund I would still be left without my earlier versions of several programs installed and no way to get them back.

P.S. I am self employed. I advertise on the internet. My email address is spread all over the internet already, on purpose It has been since about 1995.

and if I could get a refund I would still be left without my earlier versions of several programs installed and no way to get them back.

All downloads bought from Roxio website offer a DVD backup!

If you don't buy the backup disc it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to back up the downloaded program.

Now you upgrade and the upgrade tells you it will uninstall earlier Roxio programs and you push OK!

The Roxio Burn Launcher can easily be shut off in the main program interface or in msconfig.

So your complaint is you have WinZip 19 and want a free WinZip 20?

cdanteek:

Not all of the software components of the bundle were always owned by Roxio, and some did not come with a option for backup disks, not that I would have ever ordered such anyway at extra cost.

I am backed up on the basis of having a recent image, but I do not wish to undo all the other things that have changed on my system in the past 60 days of Corel refusing to answer any of my support requests in a timely manner.

I am also outraged that a vendor would be so silly as to pop up a requestor asking if it's OK to remove software from the system without specifying just what software it is that they want to remove. I am not aware of any other major vendor who writes their installation scripts to do this without explaining what they wish to remove.

And no, my "complaint" is not as you restated it. Do you work for Roxio or Corel? If not, what is the reason for you to defend them here and blame me first for causing my own problems and then for just wanting something for free? Are you normally this way with people, or did I say something that has irritated you that much?

PS, thanks for the info about how to shut off Roxio Burn Launcher although I did already know that. I would prefer it to be fixed and work properly. Just like all the other software I bought. The answer to problems is seldom just to get rid of the broken things or get your money back when a company didn't deliver what it advertised. That only puts one back where they were before they bought the thing, except having wasted a lot of time and effort to get there.

Edited by Terrific

Tom (Terrific), no one here works for Roxio. The software said it was going to remove a previous version of Roxio, or some of its components, did it not? That is the way of recent Roxio software.

No, the software did not specify even that it was Roxio software it wished to remove.

Just for the record, here is the content of the case I submitted, where I was careful to quote exactly how little the requestor said (a support case I opened on 11/16. Four days later I received instructions on how to manually remove pretty well all of the software on the system from Sonic,Roxio, Simple Star, Flexnet, or Rovi and then reboot and try the install again, as if someone thought that I was having problems getting the install script to remove some of the software, sigh. I replied explaining again what my question was. On 11/27 I got a note that my case had been transferred to Engineering. On 12/14 I got an apology my case was left open so long with no response, and asking if I still wanted "to conintue", Holy crap! I replied that I did. On 12/28 I received a note that they had closed the case because they felt it was a duplicate to another case. It was not a duplicate. I replied protesting that they had closed it and asking to have it reopened. By then I had installed the software but I was now wanting to see if they were ever going to answer my fairly simple question. On 12/30 they again transferred the case to Engineering, so I guess they reopened it. I am still waiting. Last status was "Thanks for letting us know about this issue. Our engineering department is assessing it to determine whether it is a valid product defect. This process can take some time. When the issue has been addressed, we will send you additional information by email." :

Case Number 02450880

I bought a bundle from Roxio, including many products, mostly Roxio Creator NXT4 Pro.

When I try to install it, I can't. I get a requestor telling me that "Setup has detected products currently on your system that should be uninstalled prior to continuing with the installation. Do you want to continue with the installation? Yes/No"

Well, for a start I want to know specifically what products need to be deinstalled, so I can have a say in this and know what it is that you've decided for me to deinstall. I can't answer the question if I don't know. Maybe I want my money back, who knows? Maybe I'll miss the things you want to deinstall.

Next, I want to know if I continue, are you going to deinstall these products? Or are you going to ask me to? Or are you going to continue anyway without deinstalling them?

PS. The product I bought, Roxio Creator NXT Pro bundle was not listed on the products list, so I chose "other". Then I was forced to list a version, and none of the choices applied, so I lied and said PhotoImact X3 because I need support and your menus are preventing me from getting it.

And no, my "complaint" is not as you restated it. Do you work for Roxio or Corel? If not, what is the reason for you to defend them here and blame me first for causing my own problems and then for just wanting something for free? Are you normally this way with people, or did I say something that has irritated you that much?

1. No

2. I'm trying to apply reason, you say Roxio caused you all these problems, I see self inflicted problems.

3. Am I normally what way, refer to #2.

Software and computers don't live in a perfect world and never will.

If you knew how to disable Roxio Burn why did you make another post in a 4 year old thread about it robbing so much memory!

I'm done here because I see more complaining than a complaint.

No, the software did not specify even that it was Roxio software it wished to remove.

Wrong, it always shows you what it wants to uninstall!

post-97-0-47544500-1453337602_thumb.jpg

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

This issue has now been resolved for me personally and i have the WinZip 20 I paid for. I'm not sure which of several channels of complaints convinced Corel, just that the issue was resolved.

cdanteek:

What do you mean "wrong, it always shows you what it wants to uninstall"? I saw what I saw. I wrote down exactly what I saw. You are as much as calling me a liar. And you certainly are calling me a complainer. If you don't want to help me, then don't. You have no business being insulting and derogatory to me though. I don't need to accept it at all. This isn't a forum where you get to judge people and claim they don't see what they see or call them complainers. You owe me an apology.

cdanteek:

What do you mean "wrong, it always shows you what it wants to uninstall"? I saw what I saw. I wrote down exactly what I saw. You are as much as calling me a liar. And you certainly are calling me a complainer. If you don't want to help me, then don't. You have no business being insulting and derogatory to me though. I don't need to accept it at all. This isn't a forum where you get to judge people and claim they don't see what they see or call them complainers. You owe me an apology.

I live in the real world where fact is fact, fiction is fiction, I owe you nothing!

I'm just a fellow user so please don't blame Roxio for any misguidance I may have provided.

cdanteek:

Like cd said it will always show you if you want to install any Creator version currently installed before it continues. If you did not see that message then you did not have any previous message installed.

Try going to the Corel Facebook page and telling them what you think. Be prepared for a long slog it took me 2 weeks to get some satisfaction. A word to the wise when talking to support always take down the name of the person the date and time and where they work.